Siemens Single Level Cars for CA/IL fka Nippon Sharyo Order

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Siemens Single Level Cars for CA/IL fka Nippon Sharyo Or

Postby BandA » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:42 pm

Where do I find the ML-II placement? (what is an ML-II?)
BandA

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Mon May 07, 2018 1:59 pm

Gilbert B Norman

Postby gokeefe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:55 pm

In this case "cab" car apparently would be referring to vintage and not function! :-D
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby gokeefe » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:52 pm

Here's a major update released in March but never posted here.

Some significant detail on the new rolling stock ...

Note: The link will download a PowerPoint presentation ...
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Ryand-Smith » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:07 pm

gokeefe wrote:Here's a major update released in March but never posted here.

So this is an intresting "what the Amfleet III could look like" since I doubt CAF is getting the bid for a view cab UNLESS CCR bids (I could see them bidding for a bilevel Super Local replacement)
Ryand-Smith

Postby gokeefe » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:18 pm

Agreed. It is really hard to imagine Amtrak not choosing these cars ...
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby jp1822 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:43 pm

Great document! In general, nice looking and modern looking coaches. Like the shades as opposed to the curtains. Hopefully the interiors will have a variety of coach seating with tables interspersed and perhaps a 2-1 business class. Surprised that the I-DOT trainsets aren't going with the Semi-perm coupler connections, but I also presume that these trainsets would have to be more flexible to expand or contract, as opposed to the CA cars. And I presume the cab cars would be functional? Again, apparently CA can go with cab cars, but I-DOT can't in order to maximize what the fleet can and can't do. Just going to require additional locomotives or retaining the F40 NPCU/Cabbages??? Or its adding a charger on both ends, despite that being over-kill. Hopefully the Amfleet III's can be designed off of this arrangement. Would like to see them with semi-perm coupler options just to add a little more safety and sleekness to the NEC corridor trains. They could contain flexibility to add/subtract coaches. The NEC and East Coast corridor trains need less of a cab car since most train sets can be turned - Keystone and Springfield Shuttles being the main exception.

As long as Amtrak designs a nice comfortable coach that appeals to what the modern traveler wants and likes (good size windows, modern/sleek look, comfortable seating, tables and coach seating, business class car that is truly a different experience or upgrade from regular coach) it will be a winner! The current Amfleets have stood the test of time - but time to replace!!!

As much as I had supported a bi-level design, this document presents a nice case and scenerio for single level coaches. In general, a proven design that the Amfleet III should be built from. Don't muck it up by having CAF or the like take charge of the order and production.....These cars will be a nice upgrade to what currently operates in the MidWest - Horizon coaches....... However, are these new cars strictly for Illinois routes, Michigan doesn't get to buy in in anyway? They'd have to get their own equipment?
jp1822

Postby David Benton » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:41 am

Sure, its a tested, and proven (in Europe at least ) design. But if we are talking 5 years till production , and a 30 year life, is it really the best option? Of course we are assuming Siemens will offer this design and not something newer for the Amfleet replacement. And there are no problems with brightline or cal/ill trains in the meantime. The brightline cars have lead a pretty sheltered life to date, I say its a bit early to proclaim it a surefire winner. I hope one of the European/Asian manufacturers offer an adaption of one of their latest designs, particularly weight wise. And I'm sure someone can come up with a better door /entrance solution to the varying platform height problem. Not saying they would be a bad choice, just saying maybe something better will pop up .
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby WesternNation » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:08 am

jp1822 wrote:

Great document! In general, nice looking and modern looking coaches. Like the shades as opposed to the curtains. Hopefully the interiors will have a variety of coach seating with tables interspersed and perhaps a 2-1 business class. Surprised that the I-DOT trainsets aren't going with the Semi-perm coupler connections, but I also presume that these trainsets would have to be more flexible to expand or contract, as opposed to the CA cars. And I presume the cab cars would be functional? Again, apparently CA can go with cab cars, but I-DOT can't in order to maximize what the fleet can and can't do. Just going to require additional locomotives or retaining the F40 NPCU/Cabbages??? Or its adding a charger on both ends, despite that being over-kill. Hopefully the Amfleet III's can be designed off of this arrangement. Would like to see them with semi-perm coupler options just to add a little more safety and sleekness to the NEC corridor trains. They could contain flexibility to add/subtract coaches. The NEC and East Coast corridor trains need less of a cab car since most train sets can be turned - Keystone and Springfield Shuttles being the main exception...

As much as I had supported a bi-level design, this document presents a nice case and scenerio for single level coaches. In general, a proven design that the Amfleet III should be built from. Don't muck it up by having CAF or the like take charge of the order and production.....These cars will be a nice upgrade to what currently operates in the MidWest - Horizon coaches....... However, are these new cars strictly for Illinois routes, Michigan doesn't get to buy in in anyway? They'd have to get their own equipment?

1) F40s have a top speed of 100 MPH. They aren’t used on anything except the PM and Hiawatha. I doubt they’re gonna stick around.
2) Chargers will likely be on both ends as MI services don’t have ready access to wyes to turn the trains.
3) Of course MI gets the cars, MDOT helped buy them. We’re the flagship for higher speed rail outside of the NEC, with the only 110 MPH corridor. Illinois has to shut theirs down, albeit temporarily.
WesternNation

Postby gokeefe » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:27 pm

I am trying to figure out the operational advantage of semi- permanent coupling ... Not sure why this was done ...
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby east point » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:34 pm

gokeefe wrote:I am trying to figure out the operational advantage of semi- permanent coupling ... Not sure why this was done ...

Maybe relatives of the loco builders that did the same with very early diesel cowl units ? Semi permanent may enable to sell more units for standby units ?
east point

Postby Nasadowsk » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:47 pm

gokeefe wrote:I am trying to figure out the operational advantage of semi- permanent coupling ... Not sure why this was done ...

Fewer electric/air connections that will be made up in the yard/field -> less stuff to break.
Nasadowsk

Postby bostontrainguy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:08 pm

Open pass-through vestibules?
bostontrainguy

Postby gokeefe » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:45 pm

Nasadowsk wrote:Fewer electric/air connections that will be made up in the yard/field -> less stuff to break.

I'll buy stock in that ... But if that's so sensible one would think this would not be such a new practice ... Speaks to the dominance of North American design practices in U.S. rail cars over the last 40 years ... For the Europeans this is nothing special at all in many respects ... (?)
gokeefe
gokeefe

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak