Amtrak Springfield Line Shuttle/Regional/Greenfield/Inland

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Amtrak Springfield Line: Greenfield/Boston B&A Shuttle S

Postby Backshophoss » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:08 pm

As is shown on a track chart,the single track starts at (CP)Wood thru Hartford station to(CP)Hart(mp 33.5 to mp 36.9)
(CP)Park at mp 34 is the planed end of double track,depending on what the construction zone for I-84 is staked at.
Since the intention is to build a trench and station as part of the I-84 project,CONSIDER everything between (CP)Wood and (CP)Hart
as in "flux" for now. That will include any industry tracks,running tracks,etc in that section.
Member "F-line" did an extended set of posts on the proposed plans in the downtown Hartford/I-84 including links to plans, upthread
from this page.
Backshophoss

Postby lordsigma12345 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:03 am

Looks like it's time for a third car on the Shuttle trainsets. There's been a couple incidents where CTrail customers were asked to de-train as there were not enough seats due to a lot of Amtrak ticketed passengers. If I had to guess it was probably a really late Northeast corridor train into new Haven where the connecting Shuttle didn't wait and they had to accommodate passengers from two NEC connections on one Shuttle. The Amtrak tickets continue to be "reserved" even though Amtrak accepts CTrail so they are giving Amtrak riders priority in a full train scenario. I can't really say I blame Amtrak - Amtrak is selling guaranteed/reserved tickets so if the train is full I guess that's probably what you have to do. Obviously this needs to be resolved - not a good thing for a growing service. They probably should let the overflow passengers stand rather than kick them off - they were letting passengers stand on the Shuttles during the opening weekend of CTrail. Here is the story:

NEWS LINK — "CTrail Customers Kicked Off Amtrak Trains On The Hartford Line" | WNPR

As reported in this story, CTrail ticket passengers have recently been asked to leave a some Amtrak Hartford Line trains to make room for passengers holding Amtrak tickets.

"Jim Redeker, Connecticut’s transportation commissioner, said that’s not supposed to happen. 'That may be something that occurs in the field,' Redeker said. 'That could be simply that the particular crew that’s on that train is not familiar with our policies.' "

The basic problem is a simple one — on certain Amtrak Hartford Line trains there are simply more passengers than there are available seats, at the moment.

CTDOT and Amtrak need to correct whatever is "occuring in the frield" and discontinue the reported practice of removing selected passengers from oversold Amtrak Hartford LIne trains right now. The optics of this practice is very bad, at multiple levels.
lordsigma12345

Postby lordsigma12345 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:20 am

Apparently the problem is actually southbound train 475 in Hartford. Until this is figured out I'd recommend anyone that might be using train 475 to buy an Amtrak ticket and not a CTrail ticket. Amtrak tickets are available at Springfield and Hartford from the Amtrak counter or you can buy using Amtrak app or 1-800-USA-RAIL. The price is the same as Ctrail.

More information in this article:
http://www.wnpr.org/post/ctrail-custome ... tford-line

Multiple options are being looked at including:
1) Amtrak finding Amfleet cars to expand the current Shuttle trains.
2) Connecticut providing equipment for Amtrak to use.
lordsigma12345

Postby east point » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:08 am

We do not feel Amtrak can spare 2 or 3 cars for the shuttle. Amtrak needs every car possible for the NEC regionals especially for the upcoming Thanksgiving - New Years rush period. Revenue per car mile is much higher on NER trains. Does anyone know if any CT DOT cars are compatible enough to operate on an Amtrak shuttle ? Problem of course is the cab car being at other end with a CT car in the middle ?
Guess CT did not sign a contract for enough cars on the shuttle and now Amtrak is very short of cars due to the Nippon failure and Siemens not yet delivering. Maybe once Siemens cars are delivered ? Of course there may be other agencies also wanting more cars such as Downeaster, Ethan, NY state, Michigan, Illinois, Hiawatha, California north and south. Maybe Sounder ?
east point

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:50 pm

It’s been time for a third car on the 400 series shuttles since the SPG Line has been upgraded. Those shuttle trains have been doing so good ridershipwise, especially with the uniformity of fares of Amtrak’s shuttles and NE Regionals over Ctrail trains. The shuttles have been standing room only-many of them, especially the ones that run during the rush hour.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby gokeefe » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:02 am

Probably the most impressive service startup/upgrade on Amtrak ever. I can't think of anything else that comes close to this result.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:15 am

I'm very pleased about the ridership numbers but am not pleased on the fact that Amtrak still operates two cars on their shuttle trains. Amtrak should be operating with at least three cars on their shuttle trains. From looking at the first sentence of the third paragraph, I want to add that Amtrak has been operating on the SPG Line first and in fact, they own the tracks. If Amtrak can't spare any more Amfleets for the SPG Line service which they should be able to. How many Amtrak shuttle sets are used on a given day? At least maybe CDOT can let Amtrak borrow a four car Mafersa set which has happened. It did on the very first day of Ctrail operations.

The last sentence of the article, we pretty much know the reason, excessive riders.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby DutchRailnut » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:20 am

Ok why would Amtrak add cars for service they were not contracted for ?
Why would they let discounted passenger on trains that Amtrak passengers pay full fare on ?
I think Redecker has started smoking weed ahead of law.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.
DutchRailnut

Postby gokeefe » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:24 am

They're contracted by CTDOT for the service.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Train60 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:38 am

gokeefe wrote:They're contracted by CTDOT for the service.

Its ConnDOT and MassDOT.

Here's the relevant text from the Amtrak timetable --
Service between Springfield and New Haven is financed primarily through funds made available
by the Connecticut Department of Transportation and the Massachusetts Department of
Transportation.
Train60

Postby gregorygrice » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:31 pm

DutchRailnut wrote:Ok why would Amtrak add cars for service they were not contracted for ?
Why would they let discounted passenger on trains that Amtrak passengers pay full fare on ?
I think Redecker has started smoking weed ahead of law.

Its not discounted. Amtrak and CTrail ticket prices are the same between NHV and SPG. And both tickets are accepted by both railroads. CTrail conductors carry scanners to scan Amtrak tickets.
gregorygrice

Postby lordsigma12345 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:07 pm

I doubt anything will happen as far as additional cars before the Springfield station upgrades are done. It’s a bit tight at the station as track 4 is closed for use by the contractors and track 6, while open, doesn’t have a platform right now so they can only board/disembark at the walkway across the tracks. Track 2A which is normally used as a layover track for the Amtrak Shuttle equipment is being used for Shuttle boardings also. The Vermonter is limited to track 8 during the project so if both Vermonters arrive in Springfield at once, the northbound has to wait at the Sweeney Yard for the southbound to perform the stop and depart south. Happened to me today.
lordsigma12345

Postby Kilo Echo » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:17 pm

lordsigma12345 wrote:I doubt anything will happen as far as additional cars before the Springfield station upgrades are done.

What is the status of Platform C?
Mind the gap
Kilo Echo

Postby lordsigma12345 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:07 pm

They appear to be progressing with placing the platform concrete footings and the footings for the canopy columns. November completion was advertised but I’m not so sure that’s realistic. Especially given that I would imagine re assembling that canopy structure that they had to preserve will take time.
lordsigma12345

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak