Amtrak Springfield Line: Greenfield/Boston B&A Shuttle Svc

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Amtrak Springfield Line: Greenfield/Boston B&A Shuttle S

Postby daybeers » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:34 pm

lordsigma12345 wrote:Did a full Shuttle round trip today. Can confirm that all the double track is in use except for the northern most piece south of Hartford - trains cross over still a couple miles before rather than going to the end of the double track. Hopefully they’ll add that little piece eventually.

Great! For the piece south of Hartford, do you mean at Oakwood Avenue in West Hartford, or north of that?
daybeers

Postby lordsigma12345 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:51 pm

Oakwood. They are using the cross over just before Oakwood. Curiously the northbound train used track 2 north of Enfield. I wonder if this will be the new norm - generally this track 2 segment I've seen used as a long siding - normally if there is not to be a train encounter you get routed on track 1. There is a pretty big slow down in Enfield for the switch if the train uses track 2.
lordsigma12345

Postby daybeers » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:48 pm

Does anybody know why they do this, and if it's all the time?
daybeers

Postby Backshophoss » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:39 pm

Both Amtrak and ConnDOT don't want to waste any $$$ on track that will be torn out when the I-84 rebuild and the Trench build starts,
seems like stretch of track involved might be larger then needed ,stay single track to allow for shifting around various sites within the
I-84 rebuild zone. There will be some sidings lost to the rebuild and some freight customers moving to other rail served buildings.
There will stubbed sections of the second Main that will be unused untill the Trench is built,along with the "new" Hartford Station
Backshophoss

Postby lordsigma12345 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:09 pm

Another important far term development. MassDOT released their study last week on what to do long term about the I-91 viaduct in Springfield and the railroad tracks and general problems with the flow of traffic through the city. A long time goal in the city has been to somehow remove the elevated stretch of I 91 and relocate the railroad right of way so that downtown Springfield could be visually and recreationally reconnected with the riverfront without the ugly highway in the way. MassDOT was considering several long term options (the state just rehabbed the current viaduct which will supposedly be good for 20-25 years) including a higher less visually obstructive viaduct, a trench road (similar to what is being talked about for 84), a tunnel, or relocating I 91 across the river. Some of the options left the railroad right of way as is and some relocated it across the river using two new railroad bridges. Ultimately the study concluded that "no-build" is the best option and instead recommended some smaller scale highway projects to correct the traffic snarls in the Longmeadow Curve/South End Bridge landing area of I 91.

As a result I don't think we have to worry about anything in the Springfield area for the foreseeable future.
lordsigma12345

Postby daybeers » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:58 am

Backshophoss: but the point is that there is already track from the Oakwood Avenue interlocking to somewhere just south of the Hartford station (I can't exactly remember where), and it's been there for quite a while now. My question is why aren't they using it?
daybeers

Postby Backshophoss » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:52 am

It might be to allow PAR/PAS to access "Waterbury switch" to Waterbury and MN's Devon Jct "interchange" point with MN+HRRC.
Might be waiting for a switch panel or "switch kit" from Amtrak's track shop to install or more likely
waiting for bunch of underground pipes, cables, fiber lines, and electric power lines to be moved..
That also might be the limit point of the construction zone for the I-84 rebuild project.

IT is Single track on that viaduct that is in front of the current Hartford Station,Viaduct was double track in the past,but is
ONLY good for single track due to age and condition(RUST and Corrosion of the metalwork) It was due to be replaced anyway.
There was an extensive amount of industry tracks in that area,along with an Express track and a local NHRR freighthouse in the past.
any track that remains may have been abandoned "in place" and will be removed for the I-84 rebuild
Backshophoss

Postby asull85 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:55 am

There are currently no plans to extend Track to from WOOD to the north end of the Parkville Industrial Track. It was part of the original plan but has since been scrapped. Maybe once the state figures out what they want to do with I-84, they'll do something but as of now Amtrak and CDOT are focused on completing HAYDEN to FIELD.
asull85

Postby lordsigma12345 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:46 am

Has it been determined if the final double track phase will include connecting both tracks on the River Bridge or would the bridge remain a single track until they do the eventual full rehab - seems like if you needed to you could connect both tracks on the bridge, but signal it so the opposing track would get a stop signal if there's already a train on the bridge.... it seems the second track on the bridge is usable as I've seen work equipment on it many times. I'm sure the state may also try to do the bridge rehab at the same time if funding was available.

I have seen a lot of work on the bridge lately I'm almost wondering if Amtrak is fixing up the other track on the bridge and is planning to shift trains over to it - if they did it would restore the correct line up on the bridge with the track 1 mainline connecting with track 1 on the bridge so you could then easily connect to track 2 when its eventually installed.
lordsigma12345

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:34 pm

I believe that first, the bridge is going to be replaced over the Connecticut River at some point and then the second track will be added. Just like the fact that restoring the second track at Hartford Station will have to wait until the highways are realigned, at the same time, a brand new station will be built in Downtown Hartford.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby lordsigma12345 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:47 pm

If the bridge is not included they need funding for 6.7 more miles. That would get MP 46.7 to 49 (just south of Windsor Locks to Bridge) and MP 50.4 to 54.8 (Bridge to Enfield just south of CT/MA state line.)
lordsigma12345

Postby daybeers » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:00 pm

asull85 wrote:There are currently no plans to extend Track to from WOOD to the north end of the Parkville Industrial Track. It was part of the original plan but has since been scrapped. Maybe once the state figures out what they want to do with I-84, they'll do something but as of now Amtrak and CDOT are focused on completing HAYDEN to FIELD.

Can you remind me the locations of those interlockings?
daybeers

Postby shadyjay » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:43 pm

daybeers wrote:
asull85 wrote:There are currently no plans to extend Track to from WOOD to the north end of the Parkville Industrial Track. It was part of the original plan but has since been scrapped. Maybe once the state figures out what they want to do with I-84, they'll do something but as of now Amtrak and CDOT are focused on completing HAYDEN to FIELD.

Can you remind me the locations of those interlockings?

HAYDEN is about 1/2 mile south of (existing) Windsor Locks Station. FIELD is in the Thompsonville section of Enfield, just south of the Mass state line. South of Hayden and north of Field, the line is already double-tracked. So between Hayden and Field still needs to be double-tracked. That includes the track through Windsor Locks downtown (alongside the canal, etc), across the CT River (which is still 2 tracks but only 1 in service), around the curve in East Windsor and up through Enfield.

As far as Wood, I believe this is somewhere in West Hartford, or closer to the Hartford city line. IIRC, the track plans that were posted on the NHHSRAIL.COM site before active construction began showed the interlocking in place (WOOD) before the old #2 track ended (this may have been the Parkville Industrial Track). Then the industrial track continued for a mile or so before ending, meaning there would've been an interlocking at the end-point. This would've reduced the single-track mileage for the Hartford viaduct.

When Amtrak single-tracked the Springfield Line, they retained #1 track (the old southbound track) and kept #2 track in spots for use as controlled sidings. In some spots, where freight customers still existed beyond the controlled siding, the siding interlocked back in with #1 track, thus #2 track continued (often as a different number and with much less maintenance), before dead-ending. An example would've been what was originally, and what is now once again New Haven Line Track 3 through West Haven. Before Metro North put the #3 track back in, it still existed, but was Track #5 - a CSX industrial track, complete with jointed rail. When West Haven station was being built, #5 track became #3 once again, and upgraded, though I don't remember if #3 dead ends or if it remains #5 for a spell, before Milford.
shadyjay

Postby Jenny on a M2 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:46 am

I would bet that WOOD is actually in West Hartford.

Why? Because the Hartford Line runs through the ElmWOOD section of town. :wink:
Jenny on a M2

Postby shadyjay » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:49 pm

Found it... WOOD interlocking is just south of Oakwood Avenue (just north of MP 33) in the Elmwood section of West Hartford. And its just what I thought... the double-track continues but the #2 track (former NB track) becomes an industrial siding and continues a couple miles, with several freight spurs branching off of it, ending at MP 35 north of Hamilton St, where it merges back into the mainline. Hamilton St is still a good 1/2-3/4 mile south of where the I-84 project would begin, so that should not have been a valid reason to upgrade the IT into a mainline. Perhaps it was indeed to give freights a space to get in the clear, seeing as how the track connects at both ends into the mainline. Hartford is ~ MP 36.5.

This view, looks south from the Oakwood Ave crossing, and shows Wood interlocking. Above the interlocking, #2 track on left and #1 on right. At the crossing, #1 track on right is the passenger track, while freights use the track in lower left, which is now the "Parkville Industrial Track".

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7369112 ... bfov%3D100
shadyjay

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak