MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdale

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdal

Postby newkirk » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:34 pm

I'm probably gonna catch hell for possibly being off topic. But, the historic Farmingdale Station Bldg. is closed for rehabilitation.
Is this part of the Main Line second track project, since the Main Line is involved ?
Attachments
Farmingdale - Huntington RR Trolley  Main Line.jpg
Bill Mangahas (AKA Newkirk Images LLC)
Train to Rockaway Park now boarding on Track 22
newkirk

Postby freightguy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:04 pm

Is the Pilgram double ended freight being interlocked this week into the work for Aug 6th-10? The siding near Pineaire.
Signed off
freightguy

Postby MattAmity90 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:25 am

Edward Hand's photos made me teary-eyed yet puzzled in unison. The reason why I don't post photos is because there are so many that are worthy, and the limit is 3.

Get ready for the following:

1.) Not sure what has happened at Ronkonkoma, probably something with POND and OCEAN.
2.) No change at CI. The CI2 bridge however is still standing, should be removed during one of the weekends.
3.) BRENT's signals have been bagged, and the switches are gone!
4.) JS Interlocking has the pedestal signal bagged, and the switch removed!
5.) The Pineaire siding has been interlocked with a working dwarf signal just to the West of the Executive Drive crossing. It was green! It is only connected via MAIN 1
6.) Wyandanch still has work to be done regarding the new platform, but the entire spans of both are finished. Elevator shaft, some stairs, and the Western half of the current platform still needs a few adjustments (installation of signs, canopy touch-ups etc.)
7.) DANCH has been completed but these third rail "feeders" are sticking out of the ground like weeds with their tubes up in the air.
8.) He didn't take any photos past DANCH, so I don't know what Pinelawn and the West end look like.

To clarify, when it comes to service it's in the same configuration before electrification. That means one operating track from FARM to Ronkonkoma. The existing tracks that were installed during electrification from Deer Park and Brentwood have been disconnected! This will make service unpredictable despite service changes from the 6th-10th, and the remaining August weekends being outages. If it's possible, they can have double-track service from Ronkonkoma to the new CI Interlocking, then it would shrink to one operating track from there all the way to Farmingdale. The fact that BRENT, and the crossover switch at JS have been removed puts it in a tough position.

At Brent and JS, the lips look ready to be connected. What they would have to do at BRENT is work the ballast quick, connect the track, and extend the third rail. At JS, all they have to do is connect the lip to the existing track since the new JS switch (which is further West) is installed, and extend the third rail a bit, but the ballast has already been prepped.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby nyandw » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:10 pm

newkirk wrote:I'm probably gonna catch hell for possibly being off topic. But, the historic Farmingdale Station Bldg. is closed for rehabilitation.
Is this part of the Main Line second track project, since the Main Line is involved ?

What date do you have for this photo, Bill?

"...Photo was taken anywhere between August/1909 when the line was extended to Farmingdale and Amityville and September/1919 when the entire trolley company shut down. A 10-year window..." Info: Dave Keller
nyandw

Postby MattAmity90 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:48 pm

Something interesting in configuration and track work during this revised week (August 6th-10th).

Right now they are straightening out the Southern track and finally connecting it with the new second track. I'm assuming they are probably doing it now or will next week or over the weekend at JS. The other is that Edward photographed TWO trains at the new Central Islip Interlocking with one on each track! I'm also assuming that we do indeed have the project completed from Ronkonkoma to the new CI Interlocking! That means the new track between KO and CI is in service, unless the train originated from Central Islip. Other than that most likely Central Islip is seeing both platforms in service with straight shots for both tracks.

What I think is serviceable.

1.) Only single-track service for Pinelawn, Wyandanch, Deer Park, and Brentwood. Then full double-track service from CI Interlocking through Central Islip to Ronkonkoma.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby braves » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:31 am

When is the LIRR finally going to be adding the off peak & weekend half hourly service to this busy branch, starting September 4, they will finally be adding additional reverse commute.
braves

Postby geico » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:15 am

MattAmity90 wrote:Something interesting in configuration and track work during this revised week (August 6th-10th).

Right now they are straightening out the Southern track and finally connecting it with the new second track. I'm assuming they are probably doing it now or will next week or over the weekend at JS. The other is that Edward photographed TWO trains at the new Central Islip Interlocking with one on each track! I'm also assuming that we do indeed have the project completed from Ronkonkoma to the new CI Interlocking! That means the new track between KO and CI is in service, unless the train originated from Central Islip. Other than that most likely Central Islip is seeing both platforms in service with straight shots for both tracks.

1.) Only single-track service for Pinelawn, Wyandanch, Deer Park, and Brentwood. Then full double-track service from CI Interlocking through Central Islip to Ronkonkoma.

Actually it looks like you can go from Ronkonkoma to Deer Park at this point.
geico

Postby MattAmity90 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:43 pm

geico wrote:
MattAmity90 wrote:Something interesting in configuration and track work during this revised week (August 6th-10th).

Actually it looks like you can go from Ronkonkoma to Deer Park at this point.

Did they connect the second track to the already existing track there as well at JS? I'm also guessing that this is hinting that the second track was connected at BRENT and put into service yesterday, along with the removal of the pedestal signals? If so, that means that for the first time in LIRR history that the Ronkonkoma Branch has two revenue tracks in service from Ronkonkoma straight through Central Islip, Brentwood, and Deer Park without having to worry about switching back and forth from two to one back to two down to one and back to two. This would leave the stretch from JS through Wyandanch, Pinelawn to FARM to be prepped.
MattAmity90

Postby MattAmity90 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:15 am

Track has been connected at Brentwood, and say bye-bye to what WAS BRENT. I'm not sure if both tracks are in service, can someone clue me in on that? I'm also guessing that this weekend's outage will include the removal of all 3 pedestal signals there. They still have not removed the old CI2 signal gantry, so most likely those signal apparatuses will be removed.

KO1.jpg
It is now two straight continuous tracks, let this sink in!

KO2.jpg
M7 pulling into Brentwood.
MattAmity90

Postby mwichten » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:56 am

Video from Friday which may assist with some off the questions above

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SZQGzy2XCeU&feature=youtu.be

Farmingdale to Ronkonkoma
mwichten

Postby Head-end View » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:08 pm

Great video! Thanks mwichten :-D

Those new pedestal signals have no class at all. Even SEPTA does it better. They use full-size signals with two heads on a standard mast with a flashing-green over red as the proceed-cab, so at least you can see it clearly from a distance.
Head-end View

Postby MattAmity90 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:36 pm

Well, I guess that answers that question. It looks like leading up to that, since this was late in the day on Friday, they were prepping for the weekend outage and didn't have both tracks in service from Ronkonkoma to CI Interlocking. Also evident is that they did rail tie and rail replacement work East of Central Islip because you can see the new welded rail that has been laid along within or just outside the gauge. I saw photos from yesterday, the wye at FARM is out, they are taking the position light signals off the gantry at JS, and that's a shame because it could still be used.
MattAmity90

Postby Head-end View » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:34 pm

Another thing I noticed about the new signals. I've never before seen railroad signals with the red on top. The traditional arrangement was red on the bottom, hence the saying that the signal "drops" to the stop position much like the semaphore signals of yesteryear. And green would traditionally be on top.

So you wonder why they didn't set it up with a green/red/white configuration instead of red/green/white. :(
Head-end View

Postby MattAmity90 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:06 am

Edward posted new photos from yesterday of the work they did over the weekend. He only took photos at Brentwood and Deer Park.

1.) The pedestal signal to the South of the running track at BRENT has been knocked over, is still laying there but put out of its' misery.
2.) Brentwood is back to both tracks being in service.
3.) The second track in between the new CI Interlocking is in service to go along with the already existing track from BRENT to JS.
4.) JS is currently back to the switching protocol pre-double tracking, with the new MAIN 1 to MAIN 2 in service.

I'm not sure if they are using both tracks from the CI Interlocking Eastward through OCEAN and POND to Ronkonkoma. LIRR175's video from the 10th showed that the already existing track through Central Islip connected to the new second track was not being used. His M3 platformed at Platform B, went underneath the still-standing CI2 signal gantry, ran on the already existing track, switched to the new track using the new crossover OCEAN switch, then switched back to the Southern track at POND before finally pulling into Ronkonkoma on Track 2. The video concluded with his train coming to a complete stop and an awaiting Westbound M7 pulling into the station on Track 1 negotiating KO Interlocking. Either way we have double-track service from CI through Brentwood and Deer Park to JS.
MattAmity90

Postby MACTRAXX » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:08 am

Head-end View wrote:Great video! Thanks mwichten :-D

MW: I will second that...This video shows well the status of the Ronkonkoma Branch as of 8/10.
I am impressed to see that this project is nearing completion...

What I am interested in particular is which platform westbound trains will be serving Central Islip.
As some know CI is the only 1987 station building that is on the south side-Platform B. With the
timetable beginning in September westbound trains may continue to serve Platform B by using the
south track out of Ronkonkoma and then crossing over at the new CI interlocking over to the north
track. All eastbound trains would serve the north side Platform A and then continue to KO on that
track. If all westbound trains were to use the "proper" north track at CI riders would have to use
either the overhead bridge or the Lowell Avenue crossing sidewalks at the east end to cross over.
This could be addressed by placing added TVMs and/or a new waiting room on the north side. I am
looking forward to see what the CI platform assignments are under the new September schedule...

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

PreviousNext

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)