MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdale

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Re: MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdal

Postby Jeff Smith » Wed May 16, 2018 8:47 am

Good info, thanks! So LIRR and MNRR will finally be on the same signal system? That has huge implications for inter-operability and equipment standardization (save the over/under issue).
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby SwingMan » Wed May 16, 2018 9:11 am

No, it is a similar signal system. The biggest reason it is not the same is that there would be conflicting signal aspects with current signals.

MN equipment, and every other railroad, lack LIRR's ASC system on their equipment. So no, this isn't any step closer to "brand unity", other than trying to copycat a signal system into a completely different animal.
SwingMan

Postby Jeff Smith » Wed May 16, 2018 9:23 am

Thanks, SwingMan. Wasn't sure... I knew LIRR had extra aspects. I'm sure it's not easy to update.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby DaveBarraza » Wed May 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Head-end View wrote:The green-over-green for clear-block is new since 2006 when LIRR first began color-light signals at Patchogue. Green-over-red-over-red would be a clear on most railroads. :-)

Thanks, Head-end, I was wondering as I wrote that last post how the Clear Block was displayed at SK2 in Speonk before the CTC was complete from there to Montauk.
DaveBarraza

Postby DaveBarraza » Wed May 16, 2018 7:09 pm

LIRRcustoms.com wrote:The new signals aspects and indications were placed in service by General Notice 3-84 on May 7th, 2018.

Thanks LIRRcustoms - that's exactly what I was looking for.

I thought there were also going to be interlockings at "Lawn" and "Pilgrim", as well, no?
Lawn would be at the east end of the Farmingdale long siding, across the road from Pinelawn.
Also I'm not sure about "Ocean" I think the whole shebangle that will replace KO1 will be Pond. But things change...
DaveBarraza

Postby Head-end View » Wed May 16, 2018 7:10 pm

Well, the post re: the new signal aspects is quite an eye-opener. I had no idea this was in the works.

A few observations: First I assume this new system will be only on the new double-track section to Ronkonkoma, at least for the near future. And second, that means there will now be three different signal aspect systems in use on different parts of LIRR, besides the Amtrak aspects in the Penn Sta. tunnels. Third, LIRR wasn't even close to fully converting from PL sig's to color-light sig's. And now there will be two different types of color-light signals? And fourth, I wonder how much of a problem that will be for the engineers........ SEPTA in the Philadelphia area also uses at least three different sets of aspects. Not good. It seems like the only New York area railroad that has completely standardized on a new system is Metro-North.

Also these new LIRR signals are not that similar to Metro-North, which outside of GCT only uses two basic aspects, red-over-red and flashing green. They do have a few special signals inside the GCT complex.
Head-end View

Postby MattAmity90 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:37 am

Okay just to make it clear, am I correct as I say the following? (Also Edward has not posted because of the recent storms and rain).

-East of Brentwood it is single tracked (BRENT will be eliminated by the way).
-At the new CI, trains switch from the original running track to the new track that has been connected to the original running track where CI1 was located leading into the Central Islip station (they cut out the switch at CI1 and connected the siding to the current running, and the current running to the new).
-CI2 you mentioned has been demolished with the current siding to be connected down the road to the new track, and the main running track continuing on into Ronkonkoma.
-That BARRICADE symbol is attached to the siding track East of Lowell Avenue.
This station is Babylon, this is the train to Penn Station. Stopping at: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Amityville, Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Freeport, Baldwin, Rockville Centre, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, Jamaica, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Woodside, Penn Station.
MattAmity90

Postby tj48 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:23 pm

Some observations today during my travels.
The third rail installation appears to have reached the Commack Road crossing.
Track construction crews are still working the ROW between Commack Road and Little East Neck Road crossing. A ballast regulator has joined the 2 tampers, track stabilizer and track mobile with the HERZOG ballast cars.
The new ROW is still separated just east of the Carll's Path crossing. I was only able to get a quick look but it looks like they installed a switch and track from the existing ROW leading to the new entrance of the Astro stone yard so the NY&A can service them. A Pettibone rail crane towing a small blue ballast dump car was being loaded from a ballast pile in the P.C. Richards parking lot.
Still a lot of construction going on at the Wyandanch station. Its going to be quite impressive when its all finished.
There is a good size pile of new third rail stored in the construction yard in Wyandanch.
Construction crews were installing the third rail supports along the stretch of ROW between the Little East Neck Road and the Wellwood Road crossings. Didn't look like the supports had been installed between Straight Path and Little East Neck Road crossings though.
All construction seems to have come to a halt at the Pinelawn station unless its just going to be 2 platforms with no pedestrian overpass or shelter.
tj48

Previous

Return to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)