septa accident

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

septa accident

Postby zebrasepta » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:37 pm

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?secti ... id=7828486
SEPTA says it was a rollover accident and the woman ended up under the train.
zebrasepta

Re: septa accident

Postby scotty269 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:20 pm

Tomorrow's headline: Could SEPTA have prevented incident?

"Local politicians are calling on SEPTA to make their stations more secure in the wake of a tragedy that left a woman missing a hand at the Market East station last night. SEPTA is being asked to install play-gates, commonly used to prevent infants and small children from entering undesirable areas. Commuters will be asked to step-over these gates in order to board their train."
scotty269

Postby Silverliner II » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:48 pm

I saw a report that the woman was struck in the tunnel on Track 3 between 12th and 13th Streets. I had been wondering how that accident could have happened in the first place.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/break ... _City.html

The woman, whose name and age were not available, was struck by a train about 7:20 p.m. on Track 3 between 12th and 13th Streets, authorities said.
"*BEEEEEP!!!* Three-Three! Three! No Alarms!"
(announcement from CN hotbox/dragging equipment detector, Milepost 33, track #3, Oakville Subdivision)
Silverliner II

Postby SubwayTim » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:32 pm

I'm wondering if they were able to reattach her hand.
You take the midnight subway train...You're calling all the shots...You're struck by lightning...You're in love. RATT, 1985
SubwayTim

Postby septadude » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:54 pm

Interestingly, I took a train in from Morton today and Track 3 of the CCCT was closed off. There was some type of rail equipment on the track right outside Market East... exactly between 12th and 13th streets. It looked to be a Sperry by profile but I couldn't see much in the dark.
septadude

Postby Matt Johnson » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:15 pm

SubwayTim wrote:I'm wondering if they were able to reattach her hand.

I hope she survived at least! Any followup news?
Matt Johnson

Return to SEPTA (and PATCO)