Anacostia Corridor Demonstration Project

Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: Robert Paniagua, therock

Anacostia Corridor Demonstration Project

Postby Phil Hom » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:25 pm

Anacostia Corridor
Demonstration Project

WMATA and the District Department of Transportation are working together to bring a new transit line to Southeast Washington. The Anacostia Corridor Demonstration Project, as originally conceived, was a six-stop, modern streetcar service designed to travel along a 2.7- mile, unused CSX right-of-way adjacent to the neighborhoods of Fairlawn, Anacostia, and Barry Farm.

However, difficulties negotiating a satisfactory agreement for the purchase and/or use of the CSX Shepard Industrial Spur Right-of-Way have prompted consideration of an alignment that uses city streets (see map). The proposed street-running alignment would serve the same communities as the original plan, and it provides an opportunity to identify additional stop locations along the proposed route. Street-running vehicles would better support community and economic development programs and provide direct access to neighborhoods and commercial areas in Anacostia.

The proposed street-running vehicles would start at the intersection of Pennsylvania and Minnesota Avenues SE and proceed southwest on Minnesota Avenue to Good Hope Road SE. Traveling west on Good Hope Road, vehicles would then proceed south onto Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue to Howard Road. They would then travel northwest to Firth Sterling Avenue and proceed southwest, ending at South Capitol Street in the vicinity of Bolling Air Force Base.

The next step towards bringing streetcar service to Southeast Washington is to hear from the residents and businesses affected by the proposed alignment change. Project staff will be conducting workshops and meeting with community and business groups in the area over the coming weeks to provide opportunities for residents to express their concerns about the impact of this proposed alignment on the community. Please contact DC�s Transit Future to let us know if you�d like us to brief your organization at your next regularly scheduled meeting.

PS, The Main Exchange at Bolling AFB has a display regarding this project (Till July 2005). You need a DoD ID to get on the base
Phil Hom

Postby BaltOhio » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:49 am

What's new on this project? It seems to have dropped out of sight.
BaltOhio

Postby Sand Box John » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:07 am

"BaltOhio"
What's new on this project? It seems to have dropped out of sight.

I was poking around the WMATA web site a couple of weeks ago using the search function looking for stuff concerning the new 20 bay servicing facility at New Carrollton yard. I came across the following documents related to the Anacostia Project.

This document basically explains what Phil Hom said above along with other details;
http://content.wmata.com/board_gm/board ... costia.pdf (PDF document properties 02 10 2006)

Page 14 of this document has a picture and descriptions of the modified configuration of the low floor Czech built streetcar by INEKON that has been awarded the contract:
http://content.wmata.com/board_gm/board ... 030206.pdf (PDF document properties 02 24 2006)
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.
Sand Box John

Postby BaltOhio » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:43 pm

Thanks much, John. Looks like I'll need to live a while longer to see streetcars in DC. From all that bureaucratic gobblygook, I suppose some time in 2007 is an optimistic date.
BaltOhio

Re: Anacostia Corridor Demonstration Project

Postby Sand Box John » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:43 pm

DC Streetcar Project

Image Phase I

Image Phase II

Image Phase III

Anacostia Streetcars Construction Progress 03 2009 to present.

Reconstruction of H Street, NE Progress 11 2008 to present (Project includes the installation tracks, traction power conduits and overhead pole bases.)

Reconstruction of Benning Road NE Progress 02 2008 to present (Project includes the installation tracks, traction power conduits and overhead pole bases.)
Sand Box John

Postby Sand Box John » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:43 pm

When I went on my trip to Virginia to photograph the construction progress on the Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project I went through Anacostia to see how things a moving along on that project.

I was surprised at how little of the line was actually under construction.

Progress to the south, South Capitol Street.

Progress to the south, South Capitol Street.

Shop lead turnout parts, South Capitol Street.

Location of Shop lead turnout, South Capitol Street.

South Capitol Street.

Location of turnout, South Capitol Street and Firth Sterling Avenue

Curve in intersection of South Capitol Street and Firth Sterling Avenue.

Northbound track Firth Sterling Avenue and South Capitol Street.

Northbound track Firth Sterling Avenue.

Anacostia Streetcar Project Picasa Web Album

Anacostia Streetcar Project, maps.google.com.
Sand Box John

Postby jhdeasy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:26 pm

Thanks for the photos! I was in the area about two weeks ago, but did ntot get out of the car to taka any photos. A few questions:

Will there be a southbound track along the other side of Firth Stirling Avenue?

Will the two tracks merge into one terminal/tail track (which runs along the west side of South Capitol Street parallel to the fence line of the Navy and Air Force bases) at the intersection of Firth Stirling Avenue and South Capitol Street?

If the shop is to be on the east side of South Capitol Street, south of the intersection with Firth Stirling Avenue, how do the cars access the shop? I saw a fresh strip of light concrete across South Capitol Street, but that appeared to be repaving the right of way where the former freight track crossed South Capitol Street, rather than new streetcar right of way ... i did not see rails imbedded in it.
jhdeasy

Postby Sand Box John » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:05 am

"jhdeasy"
Thanks for the photos! I was in the area about two weeks ago, but did ntot get out of the car to taka any photos. A few questions:

Will there be a southbound track along the other side of Firth Stirling Avenue?

The southbound track is being built behind the temporary jersey wall seen in the last 3 pictures.

Will the two tracks merge into one terminal/tail track (which runs along the west side of South Capitol Street parallel to the fence line of the Navy and Air Force bases) at the intersection of Firth Stirling Avenue and South Capitol Street?

Yes. There will be a 2 track stub terminal at the south end of the line.

See Anacostia Streetcar maps.google.com

If the shop is to be on the east side of South Capitol Street, south of the intersection with Firth Stirling Avenue, how do the cars access the shop? I saw a fresh strip of light concrete across South Capitol Street, but that appeared to be repaving the right of way where the former freight track crossed South Capitol Street, rather than new streetcar right of way ... i did not see rails imbedded in it.

The gap in the track shown in picture 6 is where the turnout to the shop is. See Anacostia Streetcar maps.google.com link above.
Sand Box John

Postby jhdeasy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:33 pm

Thanks for the additional details on construction plans.

A streetcar line from the vicinity of the Anacostia Metro station that runs about three city blocks to the main gate of Naval Station Anacostia and then down a few more blocks towards the main gate of Bolling Air Force Base (but not actually to the main gate??) leaves me with a feeling best described as MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING. It may benefit some people who commute to/from the baes, as well as some junior military personnel without automobiles who live on base, but it seems to be of limited value, until it is expanded to serve more locations where people live and work.
jhdeasy

Postby justalurker66 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:46 pm

That is part of it being a demonstration project ... a show and tell of what is to come.
It will have some passengers, but think of it as a sample section.
justalurker66

Postby Sand Box John » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:41 am

First Modern Streetcar to Debut in the District
DDOT to Host DC Streetcar Showcase May 5-8; First Opportunity for Public to Board One of DC’s Modern Vehicles
Sand Box John

Postby dpan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:10 am

jhdeasy wrote:Thanks for the additional details on construction plans.

A streetcar line from the vicinity of the Anacostia Metro station that runs about three city blocks to the main gate of Naval Station Anacostia and then down a few more blocks towards the main gate of Bolling Air Force Base (but not actually to the main gate??) leaves me with a feeling best described as MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING. It may benefit some people who commute to/from the baes, as well as some junior military personnel without automobiles who live on base, but it seems to be of limited value, until it is expanded to serve more locations where people live and work.

I used to work on Bolling, and this was talked about way way back around 2003 or so when it was expected to have been completed by 2005. I've always thought it was crazy to think anything could get done so quickly in DC. I will be long retired before this is completed.
dpan

Postby jhdeasy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:45 pm

I drove by the site (South Capitol Street and Firth Stirling Avenue) of the new streetcar line last week. I was looking for signs of progress since my previous visit. I noticed the outbound track had been completed along Firth Stirling Avenue ... the curved trackage across the busy intersection of Firth Stirling and South Capitol has not been completed ... no sign of construction beginning on the maintenance shop ... no sign of track installed across South Capital Street allowing access to the future shop ... I did see what appears to be catenary support poles installed at regular intervals along the route.
jhdeasy

Postby jhdeasy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:17 pm

I was in Washington DC on Sunday, August 15th, so I decided to take some pictures of the Anacostia Streetcar demonstration project. Here is a link to 30 of my photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53093586@N04/sets/72157624617006217/

Comments?
jhdeasy

Postby Sand Box John » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:32 pm

My god !! Now I know why the weekly progress updates have disappeared from DC Government web site. There isn't a hell of a lot difference between what you saw Sunday and what I saw back in the first week in January (See pictures above).

Things really happened up on H Street NE and Benning Road during the same period. Benning Road was totally rebuilt from sidewalk to sidewalk with tracks and median platforms from Maryland Avenue to Oklahoma Avenue. About a third of the length H Street had track in place.
Sand Box John

Next

Return to DC - Maryland - Virginia Area Passenger Rail: MTA(MARC), VRE, WMATA(Metro)