Tri-Rail Downtown Link

Discussion about Florida commuter rail operations including Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority in southern Florida. All Aboard Florida (Brightline) is discussed here: Florida East Coast Railway).

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

Re: Tri-Rail Downtown Link

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:35 pm

The idea of commuter rail is to transport office workers from the suburbs to their jobs in downtown sections of cities and right there, that's a huge step for Tri-Rail. I believe that many of the stations in the suburbs have office parks and other places of employment nearby that would probably benefit from half hourly service throughout the day.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:37 am

I still envision "hue and cry" if Tri-Rail is to serve both the Airport and Downtown with hourly frequency. That means a train every half hour - a service level found only in New York.

Abandon the Airport, and the "investigation into the investigations" begins.

Now the question becomes "how to serve the Airport without overservice? Could a, say, Hollywood-Airport "dinky" be initiated (a double slip switch to the North of the station), or something else that would avoid empty trains overserving the region?

Enquiring mind wants to know.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby Noel Weaver » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:27 am

I have been told different stories or maybe I should say versions as to what to expect. I have been told by a very good source that there is track material in the area around Iris in preparation for the new connection between the two systems. The new station (Miami Central) will have five tracks, three for Brightline and two for Tri-Rail which should work out quite well. Tri-Rail has a yard full of stored equipment in Hialeah. I think the best destination will be Miami Central but a good number of employees at MIA commute there by train and they will continue to be accomodated. Highway traffic around these parts is really bad and they expect big growth in ridership in the not too distant future.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby chrsjrcj » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:28 pm

Tri-Rail will run 26 trains direct to downtown Miami via Iris, while the remaining 24 will continue as usual to Miami Airport. In order to maintain the 50 train a day service on the SFRC mandated by the Feds as part of the funding for the double tracking project, Tri-Rail will run 26 shuttle trains from 79th Street Metrorail to the Airport.
chrsjrcj

Postby Noel Weaver » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:04 pm

Yesterday I had a converfsation with a Tri-Rail person and he pretty much said the same thing. They are shooting for running to downtown Miami before the end of the year. I think they have a shot at that goal. Construction is in progress at IRIS and Brightline is hoping to operate out of Miami to WPB sometime in September. He said the plan is to run trains downtown direct and serve Miami Airport with a shuttle train from Metro-Rail Transfer station (79th Street). I think this makes sense although 79th Street is not an ideal place to make a transfer, Fort Lauderdale or Hollywood would be better as the facilities are better and both are in a better part of town too. One thing for sure changes are coming. Now I would like to see a couple of late evening trains, you can't go to an evening concert or sporting event and get back to Broward County by train after the event ends. Maybe in the future they will address this too. OH by the way the 50 trains means 25 trains each way Monday through Friday, they run 15 round trips on Saturday and Sunday.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby MattW » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:31 pm

So direct Airport service will be gone? That doesn't sit well with me.
MattW

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:42 pm

Possibly, in addition to the point I made earlier regarding hourly service to both Downtown and the Airport simply represents "overservice", is that each of the three major airports within Tri-Rail's service area, MIA, FLL, PBI, are operated by different airport authorities. Tri Rail is funded both by the State and the three counties. While all are accessible by Tri Rail, two are accessed by bus transfer, one by direct rail service. Possibly the two with bus transfers felt they are adversely affected with employee attraction and retention, and throw in a passenger or two, with direct to one bus to the others service plan.

But the parties in interest are best served having some kind of rail service to MIA lest the "investigation into the investigations" begin.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby chrsjrcj » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:26 pm

MattW wrote:So direct Airport service will be gone? That doesn't sit well with me.

No.

http://www.tri-raildowntownmiamilink.co ... e-plan.pdf
chrsjrcj

Previous

Return to Florida Commuter Rail including Metrorail, Sunrail, Tri-Rail and Proposals