Comet I's Officially Retired?

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, Kaback9, nick11a, ACeInTheHole

Re: Comet I's Officially Retired?

Postby blockline4180 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:44 pm

Steamtown Observer wrote:So it looks like there are still 3 Comet I coaches and 2 cab cars at the MMC. My understanding is one cab car is going to the URHS, one to Whippany and the three coaches to ELDCPS. Any reason why they haven't left yet?

Well, my official response from the Whippany Railway Museum is that they were "too busy to worry about that right now."
So your guess is as good as mine! :P
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."
blockline4180

Postby Jtgshu » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:21 pm

Yes, they are still there at the MMC resting comfortably in the Center yard - they are pretty much all together, except with a damaged C2 car sandwiched inbetween the cab cars and the trailers.

Oddly enough, last night there was a loco coupled up to the Comaros on the south side in front of the SandI building. the same Comaros that have supposedly been going to California for at least the past 2 years. I couldn't tell if it was aired up, but im assuming it was or at least would be eventually, as thats what they did when the comet 1s were parked out there before they were sent out to Cali. They might be getting aired up for inspection by CSX or whoever. I dunno anything in partiuclar, im just ASSUMING......

Silverliner II - keep your eyes open when you travel though South Kearny Yard :)
On the RR, "believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see"
John, aka "JTGSHU" passed away on August 26, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion to railroading at railroad.net.
Jtgshu

Postby cruiser939 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:26 pm

Jtgshu wrote:Yes, they are still there at the MMC resting comfortably in the Center yard - they are pretty much all together, except with a damaged C2 car sandwiched inbetween the cab cars and the trailers.

Oddly enough, last night there was a loco coupled up to the Comaros on the south side in front of the SandI building. the same Comaros that have supposedly been going to California for at least the past 2 years. I couldn't tell if it was aired up, but im assuming it was or at least would be eventually, as thats what they did when the comet 1s were parked out there before they were sent out to Cali. They might be getting aired up for inspection by CSX or whoever. I dunno anything in partiuclar, im just ASSUMING......

Silverliner II - keep your eyes open when you travel though South Kearny Yard :)

Uh oh, what kind of trouble did you get into last night JT.
To loosely quote Capt. Jack Aubrey from the movie Master and Commander: "NJT runs a railroad, not a private yacht! WE DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR YOUR DAMNED HOBBIES, SIR!"

Originator of Jeff Smith rules!
Cruiser "Awesome Justice Train Freedom America" 939
cruiser939

Postby Jtgshu » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:41 pm

cruiser939 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:Yes, they are still there at the MMC resting comfortably in the Center yard - they are pretty much all together, except with a damaged C2 car sandwiched inbetween the cab cars and the trailers.

Uh oh, what kind of trouble did you get into last night JT.

HAHAHAHAH I was referring to Silverliner to keep an eye out on the Comaros out there..........thankyouverymuch :P
John, aka "JTGSHU" passed away on August 26, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion to railroading at railroad.net.
Jtgshu

Postby Silverliner II » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:14 am

Jtgshu wrote:Silverliner II - keep your eyes open when you travel though South Kearny Yard :)

I kept my eyes open Tuesday night! MN 4900 is still coupled up to the Comaros out there....waiting patiently. I couldn't peek to see if the brake pipe hoses were coupled when I was passing by enroute to Hack...had some traffic in front of me to watch out for :wink:
"*BEEEEEP!!!* Three-Three! Three! No Alarms!"
(announcement from CN hotbox/dragging equipment detector, Milepost 33, track #3, Oakville Subdivision)
Silverliner II

Postby Pug » Thu May 20, 2010 10:28 am

Yesterday (May 19) at around 7pm an NS geep was heading westbound through Madison with an old coach right behind the loco along with what looked like about 10 Comet IB's. I was coaching a softball game at the time so didn't have a chance to make an exact count. There is usually a lot of railroad traffic past the field at that time, and the only reason reason I turned around was the sound of the NS geep being different from the NJT geeps. Some of the Comet IB's had a good amount of colorful grafitti and one had a fairly loud flat spot. Any idea where they are headed?
Pug

Postby ApproachMedium » Thu May 20, 2010 12:43 pm

Probably finally out to california for their lease term. Either that or they are secretly being bought to be rebuilt into something else. Theres a good reason why the IBs which are older than the comet 1s didnt get cut up. Stainless steel bodies last forever, esp thouse old well built ones. I am sure the yardmasters in the MMC will be happy to have a track back!
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Postby gravelyfan » Thu May 20, 2010 12:45 pm

M&E borrowed the NS unit to pull 2 "M&E" private cars plus 14 Comet I-B cars from MMC to Morristown. I understand M&E will be performing work on the Comet I-B cars as a contractor for the new owner of those cars as they are destined for the west coast. The M&E train was running a few minutes behind 807 and passed through Madison just after 6pm.
KMG-365
gravelyfan

Postby Jtgshu » Thu May 20, 2010 12:48 pm

It should have been 2 private cars and I believe 14 Comet 1Bs.

that track won't be free for long probably though at the MMC though - the Comaros should be coming back from AMT in Canada relatively soon im guessing with them getting their shiney new Multilevels now.
Jtgshu

Postby ApproachMedium » Thu May 20, 2010 1:01 pm

I think we should just tell canada to keep the cars they got! haha We dont want them anymore!
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Postby blockline4180 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:29 pm

I am surprised they didn't pick up the 5120 and the 5119.. One is going to URHS and the other the Whippany Railway Museum.. I believe 5120 is supposed to go to Boonton "This Spring"
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."
blockline4180

Postby Silverliner II » Fri May 21, 2010 1:24 pm

Oh sure, they sneak them out of the MMC while I work trains into Oak Island...lol!

Oh well, we have one Comaro cab here on SEPTA now...soon to be the cab car for the second wire train.
"*BEEEEEP!!!* Three-Three! Three! No Alarms!"
(announcement from CN hotbox/dragging equipment detector, Milepost 33, track #3, Oakville Subdivision)
Silverliner II

Postby sixty-six » Fri May 21, 2010 3:53 pm

Silverliner II wrote:Oh sure, they sneak them out of the MMC while I work trains into Oak Island...lol!

Oh well, we have one Comaro cab here on SEPTA now...soon to be the cab car for the second wire train.

What happened to the Arrow IIs?
sixty-six

Postby transit383 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:05 pm

jimzim66 wrote:What happened to the Arrow IIs?

I think I shaved with one this morning.
But where were they going without ever knowing the way?
transit383

Postby TREnecNYP » Sat May 22, 2010 1:45 am

transit383 wrote:
jimzim66 wrote:What happened to the Arrow IIs?

I think I shaved with one this morning.

What speed was it going, mach 3? :wink:

- A
TREnecNYP

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT