Comet I's Officially Retired?

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, Kaback9, nick11a, ACeInTheHole

Re: Comet I's Officially Retired?

Postby Silverliner II » Fri May 21, 2010 1:24 pm

Oh sure, they sneak them out of the MMC while I work trains into Oak Island...lol!

Oh well, we have one Comaro cab here on SEPTA now...soon to be the cab car for the second wire train.
"*BEEEEEP!!!* Three-Three! Three! No Alarms!"
(announcement from CN hotbox/dragging equipment detector, Milepost 33, track #3, Oakville Subdivision)
Silverliner II

Postby sixty-six » Fri May 21, 2010 3:53 pm

Silverliner II wrote:Oh sure, they sneak them out of the MMC while I work trains into Oak Island...lol!

Oh well, we have one Comaro cab here on SEPTA now...soon to be the cab car for the second wire train.

What happened to the Arrow IIs?
sixty-six

Postby transit383 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:05 pm

jimzim66 wrote:What happened to the Arrow IIs?

I think I shaved with one this morning.
But where were they going without ever knowing the way?
transit383

Postby TREnecNYP » Sat May 22, 2010 1:45 am

transit383 wrote:
jimzim66 wrote:What happened to the Arrow IIs?

I think I shaved with one this morning.

What speed was it going, mach 3? :wink:

- A
TREnecNYP

Postby Silverliner II » Sat May 22, 2010 10:38 am

jimzim66 wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:Oh sure, they sneak them out of the MMC while I work trains into Oak Island...lol!

What happened to the Arrow IIs?

Arrow II 1237 (now SEPTA 601) remains as cab car of the original wire train.

Arrow II 1236 (to be SEPTA 602) will become the cab car of the third "gel" train used during the slippery leaf season.

The Comaro cab car should be renumbered 603.
"*BEEEEEP!!!* Three-Three! Three! No Alarms!"
(announcement from CN hotbox/dragging equipment detector, Milepost 33, track #3, Oakville Subdivision)
Silverliner II

Re: Comet I's Officially Retired?....NOT YET !

Postby Tri-State Tom » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:50 pm

http://www.utahtransit.us/comet_lineup.htm

http://www.utahtransit.us/standard.htm

http://www.utahtransit.us/cto1.htm

http://www.utahtransit.us/cto2.htm

http://www.utahtransit.us/cto4.htm

http://www.utahtransit.us/cto7.htm

Using refurbished passenger cars saves UTA millions. New passenger cars can cost nearly $2.2 million each. The used Comet car and refurbishment costs UTA approximately $400,000. Comet cars are nearly half the weight of a regular passenger car and require less energy to operate.

Too bad NJT doesn't think like this....with taxpayor money ! :(
Tri-State Tom

Postby Jtgshu » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:44 pm

TST, don't forget about much closer to home, with Septa running a Comet 1 set.....

I mean, nothing lasts forever, and the C1s definitely don't owe anyone anything, but the Comet 3s still have a lot of life left in them, and should be rebuilt. Instead it was decided to purchase more MLs with the money used to refurbish the C3s. Now they sit idle and their fate undeterminded (as far as I know at least) Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the C4s end up getting parked as well when their time comes.....

Which is a shame - i guess we really do live in a throw away society around here :(

(while I go back to restoring my 1982 Dodge and running to the store in my 1987 Dodge truck......)
On the RR, "believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see"
John, aka "JTGSHU" passed away on August 26, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion to railroading at railroad.net.
Jtgshu

Postby airman00 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:04 pm

I say those comet 1's look real sharp. Not to stir up any trouble here please forgive me, but I do agree we live in a throw-away society. I drive a 1994 ford ranger with 114,500+ miles, and I love it! :-D Those comet 1's apparently still have plenty of life left in them and they look great! :-)

NJT could or might be able to save money refurbishing older cars rather than purchasing new ones. Bear in mind in this current economy with alot of states operating at a loss, (look ay NY state, no budget yet) Money isn't there to constantly have new equipment, so older cars shouldn't be so quick to be discarded. I know they've had 40 years+ service? But still they roll on elsewhere. :-)
airman00

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:29 pm

I agreed the Comet IIIs should be rebuilt. If so, will they be decabbed as well? MNCR did not decab their WoH Comet IIs.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby Tri-State Tom » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:25 pm

Jt -

AIR at the time, I don't think I took umbridge with retiring the CI's....figuring they were unsalvagable. But when I saw how many were grabbed by other agencies and then last year read how Utah could spend only $400-500,000 per car to make'em good to go for several more years.... :(

But I really can't fathom at all ditching the CIII's. Are they junk ? If so, WHY are they junk so soon ? Who sold'em to NJT ? Who at NJT is responsible FOR BUYING JUNK ???

I just can't believe how NJT - DESPITE BEING REPORTEDLY, ALLEGEDLY BROKE - can ALWAYS get it's hands on millions to buy mega expensive hybrid multi-levels ( and engines ) when refurbished power/equipment can be had at much less cost..............

..............TO THE TAXPAYOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apologies for ranting....carry on. :-)
Tri-State Tom

Postby airman00 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:32 pm

I agree with your sentiment. I know some will argue your "throwing good money at bad", but in an age where money is scant and budgets are tight, you need to take a hard look at what's really important. Shiny new cars might look great for your image, (and yes, in business, image is VERY important), but they might drain your bottom line at a time when you can least afford it. I know, it's kinda like a catch-22. However...looking at those comet-1's in utah they look brand new. And at a fraction of the cost.

Not too stray off topic, but on a related note, look at the 3 sw1500 switchers NJT had now working elsewhere. They all look brand new. NJT got rid of them when they still had life left in them. Although that's another matter, and forgive me I don't want to get anyone up in arms about those switchers.
airman00

Postby ns3010 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:46 pm

I really wish they would rebuild the CIIIs (they're crappy now, but they'd be great rebuilt).

The UTA CIs look fantastic. Any casual observer wouldn't even know that they're 40 years old.
ns3010

Postby sixty-six » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:58 am

ns3010 wrote:I really wish they would rebuild the CIIIs (they're crappy now, but they'd be great rebuilt).

The UTA CIs look fantastic. Any casual observer wouldn't even know that they're 40 years old.

On a trip to California, I had an opportunity to ride the refurbed CIs on Metrolink. You can still see the window band on the outside.
sixty-six

Postby Matt Johnson » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:15 am

airman00 wrote:I say those comet 1's look real sharp. Not to stir up any trouble here please forgive me, but I do agree we live in a throw-away society. I drive a 1994 ford ranger with 114,500+ miles, and I love it! :-D Those comet 1's apparently still have plenty of life left in them and they look great! :-)

I hate to see blatant waste too...I put 220,000 miles on my old Saturn SL2 before replacing it! :) That's part of why I hated to see the completely rebuilt Rohr Turboliners thrown away with practically zero use!

Hope the Comet III's get a new lease on life, either with NJT or another agency. They're too young to scrap!
Matt Johnson

Postby andegold » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:37 am

Aren't the CIs in Utah just covered with vinyl? The interior shots I've seen show no work having been done on the inside except maybe a good scrubbing. That might be all they need to soldier on out there where the passenger loads and number of daily trips compare with a tourist line here but how would they really handle continued service on NJT? Also shouldn't some weight be given to the flexibility and savings of having a uniform/compatible fleet? Of course much of that could have been realized by making the new fleet compatible with the old rather than tossing the old because it's not compatible with the new but given how much some people here like to rag on the MMC isn't uniformity a good thing?
andegold

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT