The Raritan Valley Line Thread…

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, nick11a, ACeInTheHole, Kaback9

Re: The Raritan Valley Line Thread…

Postby blockline4180 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:50 pm

I wonder if that is the way NJT will go with replacing all the wooden ties, rather then using the Concrete which was already installed on track 1... Both tracks 1 and 3 at Maplewood now have panels of those blackish composite ties through the station platform. Hard to tell they aren't wood from afar
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."
blockline4180

Postby Regardie » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:17 am

They are installing the composite ties at the Fanwood station on the outbound side. It's slow going as they are digging out individual wooden sleepers one at a time, cutting them in half with a chainsaw and then pulling them out. Work is happening from a bit before 9 am until sometime in the afternoon when they have to have the line running for the evening rush. On the inbound side at Fanwood, they are digging a hole and installing conduit near the front of the train end of the platform. I'm not sure what that is all about.

Conrail is continuing to work on the section of track near Union that had the derailment last year. The old alignment had crossovers in both directions where the train came off. They put straight through track in to get the line back up and sometime this spring they put in one set of crossings from railroad south to railroad north but no sign of the opposite direction.
Regardie

Postby EuroStar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:59 pm

It must be very painful to watch the whole process. I am puzzled that they don't prefer to single track for a weekend (or a whole week if needed with a special schedule) and bang it out quickly by cutting the rails, replacing the ties and re-welding the rails. I suspect that union rules and fear of passenger revolt are to blame ...
EuroStar

Postby Zuccaraillo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:48 pm

Very late to the party but GP40PH-2B 4219 is currently on regular rotations just like it was 2008 and before. 6-car Comet set.
Known as “CentralJerseyRailfan” on YouTube and Instagram.
Zuccaraillo

Postby Adirondack » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:14 am

NJ1015.com reported "A Conrail freight train derailment near the North Branch station in Branchburg" early this morning, cleared up by 5:45. I didn't know there were any freight customers west of Thermo Fisher Scientific, which is much closer to Raritan. Does anyone have more details?
Adirondack

Previous

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT