Real-Time Map of NJTransit Trains

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, ACeInTheHole, Kaback9, nick11a

Re: Real-Time Map of NJTransit Trains

Postby Zeke » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:07 pm

Interesting, those" Trains" look like an amped up 21st century version of Pac-Man.
User avatar
Zeke
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:08 am

Re: Real-Time Map of NJTransit Trains

Postby JoeG » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:41 pm

LIRR, your worked for me. I am using Chrome on a mac.
User avatar
JoeG
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:40 am
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: Real-Time Map of NJTransit Trains

Postby mrsam » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:47 pm

The web site link given earlier in this thread was http://198.177.3.211

The real name for this web site is http://gps_test.njtransit.com
mrsam
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Real-Time Map of NJTransit Trains

Postby loufah » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:07 am

Can they implement drag-and-drop? Would help a lot when trains are running late. :-)
loufah
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:47 am

Re: Real-Time Map of NJTransit Trains

Postby 25Hz » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:45 pm

loufah wrote:Can they implement drag-and-drop? Would help a lot when trains are running late. :-)


"Caution, train approaching, stand behind yellow line" i don't think would suffice in that case..... o.o!

And wow, i mean i've looked at schedules before obviously, but yea, the NEC has the single most amount of trains by a large margin., there is always at least 4-5 trains, and often one more eastbound that has not pulled into trenton yet....
Next stop the square, journal square station next!
25Hz
 
Posts: 4625
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:06 pm
Location: Newtown, PA (or PATH towards WTC)

Re: Real-Time Map of NJTransit Trains

Postby pumpers » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Is there anything like this for Amtrak on the NEC? Well, I guess I should say is there anything like this for Amtrak that is publicly accessible . JS
pumpers
 
Posts: 2014
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:56 pm

Re: Real-Time Map of NJTransit Trains

Postby nomis » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:09 pm

pumpers wrote:Is there anything like this for Amtrak on the NEC? Well, I guess I should say is there anything like this for Amtrak that is publicly accessible . JS

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=amtrak+real+time+tracking+on+google+maps

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=152825
Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.
User avatar
nomis
 
Posts: 2118
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:52 pm
Location: MRS 43 (was QA 9 & QB 2)

Re: Real-Time Map of NJTransit Trains

Postby JoeG » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:35 pm

The Amtrak version is public. Just below the login panel on the home page, click on the Track a Train image. The NJT version is actually more real-time, but the Amtrak version shows the train's speed.
User avatar
JoeG
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:40 am
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: Real-Time Map of NJTransit Trains

Postby pumpers » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:07 am

JoeG wrote:The Amtrak version is public. Just below the login panel on the home page, click on the Track a Train image. The NJT version is actually more real-time, but the Amtrak version shows the train's speed.

Hey, this is great. Now what we need is a hacker to combine NJT and Amtrak onto one map, and then if the tracking system somehow could show each track, I could see what I am stuck behind when I am on NJT on the NEC crawling along because the dispatcher gave priority to someone else. :wink: JS
pumpers
 
Posts: 2014
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:56 pm

Re: Real-Time Map of NJTransit Trains

Postby CentralValleyRail » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:33 pm

pumpers wrote:
JoeG wrote:The Amtrak version is public. Just below the login panel on the home page, click on the Track a Train image. The NJT version is actually more real-time, but the Amtrak version shows the train's speed.

Hey, this is great. Now what we need is a hacker to combine NJT and Amtrak onto one map, and then if the tracking system somehow could show each track, I could see what I am stuck behind when I am on NJT on the NEC crawling along because the dispatcher gave priority to someone else. :wink: JS


Would definitely be neat to see, something else useful would be what track the train is on.

Frequently at night the Inbound Bergen County Line trains like 1 or 2 of them will use the outbound track because of the freight serving the Nabisco area in Fair Lawn. NJT never has anything on their website about possible track change but maybe Departure Vision does. Would still be cool to see that.
CentralValleyRail
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: Wayne, NJ NJTR-MP (20.8)

Re: Real-Time Map of NJTransit Trains

Postby ApproachMedium » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:32 pm

This seems cool, since most NJT trains do have some kind of GPS module in them for the destination signs. However it looks like the only locos that are reporting back are ALP45/46 and PL42 powered trains. Only the mutlilevel cab cars have cell service that can report back to home as far as cars go. None of the single level cars including the Arrows have anything like that on board. The Comet Vs were supposed to but I dont think it ever worked.

I may be wrong about how they are doing this reporting but thats what makes sense, and is how Amtrak is doing it. The WiFi system in the coaches reports back GPS location and speed etc comes from the Locomotives via WiTronix.
No good deed goes unpunished.
User avatar
ApproachMedium
 
Posts: 5884
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: From here to There

Re: Real-Time Map of NJTransit Trains

Postby CentralValleyRail » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:58 pm

Uh-oh just tried the link and it looks like someone shut it down. Just a plain ole google map now. Damn!
CentralValleyRail
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: Wayne, NJ NJTR-MP (20.8)

Re: Real-Time Map of NJTransit Trains

Postby lirr42 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:12 pm

It was fun while it lasted!
User avatar
lirr42
 
Posts: 2726
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:16 pm
Location: Montauk, NY (MP 115.8)

Re: Real-Time Map of NJTransit Trains

Postby ApproachMedium » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:55 pm

I am sure it will be back amtrak did it so you know they want to try and one up them, or at least keep up with the times. Its the latest thing now. I laugh though because Tri Rail has been doing this for quite a number of years now.
No good deed goes unpunished.
User avatar
ApproachMedium
 
Posts: 5884
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: From here to There

Re: Real-Time Map of NJTransit Trains

Postby CentralValleyRail » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:22 am

ApproachMedium wrote:I am sure it will be back amtrak did it so you know they want to try and one up them, or at least keep up with the times. Its the latest thing now. I laugh though because Tri Rail has been doing this for quite a number of years now.


Gotta laugh with you as well.


I actually rode Tri-Rail in August taking a day-trip from Fort Lauderdale to Miami for a Marlins game. It was a Sunday Morning and the train was( I kid you not) standing room only and it wasn't like there were many Marlins fans on the train. I counted maybe 15. The train was 25-30 minutes late into FLL and at least 40-45 into MIA. I wonder how popular their weekday service is...


MARC and VRE have been doing it for at least 5 years if not more.
CentralValleyRail
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: Wayne, NJ NJTR-MP (20.8)

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yankees1 and 6 guests