Possible Fare Hike Announced Today!

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Possible Fare Hike Announced Today!

Postby traingirl22 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:27 am

Does anyone find this at all concerning? I understand that we have a huge debt to consider, however raising fares is going to cripple blue collar workers that are already faced with hard economic times. I fear the end result is not going to be good! possible
Last edited by traingirl22 on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
traingirl22

Re: Fare Hike Announced Today!

Postby mtuandrew » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:42 am

Moderator's Note: Moved to the MBTA Rail Operations forum.
mtuandrew

Postby danib62 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:44 am

They haven't actually announced one yet but have said that they're considering one. I'm not too surprised. It's been 5 years since the last one and the T isn't getting any cheaper to run.
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby traingirl22 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:53 am

danib62 wrote:They haven't actually announced one yet but have said that they're considering one. I'm not too surprised. It's been 5 years since the last one and the T isn't getting any cheaper to run.

It was on the news this morning.. Stating that we are facing steep fare hikes.. I know I pay $223 per month, if it goes much higher it will be cheaper to drive even with the gas prices.
traingirl22

Re: Possible Fare Hike Announced Today!

Postby diburning » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:37 am

Compared to other systems, the MBTA is a bargain.

If they actually improve service or at least let our complaints go to someone who actually cares and can make a change, then I wouldn't mind the fare hike.
diburning

Postby traingirl22 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:44 am

diburning wrote:Compared to other systems, the MBTA is a bargain.

If they actually improve service or at least let our complaints go to someone who actually cares and can make a change, then I wouldn't mind the fare hike.

I agree with you. If they bring back the only thing that commuters were entitled too, the "on-time" guarantee program. Where you were able to put in for a free ride ticket if they were 30 minutes late I would be able to swallow the hike better.

The rail is pricey and yes cheaper than most states but we have some issues that need to be corrected for people to accept a fare hike lightly!
traingirl22

Postby SM89 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:12 pm

traingirl22 wrote:
danib62 wrote:They haven't actually announced one yet but have said that they're considering one. I'm not too surprised. It's been 5 years since the last one and the T isn't getting any cheaper to run.

It was on the news this morning.. Stating that we are facing steep fare hikes.. I know I pay $223 per month, if it goes much higher it will be cheaper to drive even with the gas prices.

It would take a much higher price for it to ever be cheaper to drive. $223 is a Zone 6 Pass. I'll chose a random Zone 6 station near a highway to be conservative.

Mansfield Station -> South Station
33 mile trip on highway
let's say 23 work days in a month/46 trips
25mpg
$3.50/gallon gas

Commuter Rail: $9.70 a day, total $223

Driving: 33mi/25mpg * 3.50/gal * 2trips = $9.24 in gas a day.
Now add in parking $10-25 a day
Total = 442.50 - 787.50 a month

Unless they double the price of commuter rail passes, taking the MBTA is so much cheaper it's almost unbelievable. Not to mention the traffic trying to commute by car.
SM89

Postby traingirl22 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:42 pm

SM89 wrote:
traingirl22 wrote:

It would take a much higher price for it to ever be cheaper to drive. $223 is a Zone 6 Pass. I'll chose a random Zone 6 station near a highway to be conservative.

Mansfield Station -> South Station
33 mile trip on highway
let's say 23 work days in a month/46 trips
25mpg
$3.50/gallon gas

Commuter Rail: $9.70 a day, total $223

Driving: 33mi/25mpg * 3.50/gal * 2trips = $9.24 in gas a day.
Now add in parking $10-25 a day
Total = 442.50 - 787.50 a month

Unless they double the price of commuter rail passes, taking the MBTA is so much cheaper it's almost unbelievable. Not to mention the traffic trying to commute by car.

I agree with your mathematics however if you have free parking in your building which some do or have a huge discount then driving would end up being less expensive if they hike up the price more than let's say $25 more a month. You also have to factor in the $4 a day to park and some lots are $7 to $10 now in Braintree and other stations. I take the train because it is less of a hassle and there is no traffic to deal with. My concern is with the word "extreme" fare hike, what does that exactly mean. It sounds like they are going to end up doubling the amount, but they just don't state it yet.
traingirl22

Postby octr202 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:42 pm

Compared to other commuter rail systems around the country, we're not quite such a bargain. I did a small sampling of commuter rail systems that don't end in New York City for comparison, comparing a trip of about 25 miles (roughly equivalent to MBTA Zone 5) for monthly passes, which in Zone 5 is $210.

Philadelphia SEPTA - Anywhere Trailpass - $191.00/month (note: Here this includes subway/trolley/bus access as well, others do not)
Chicago METRA - Zone E - $116.00/month
LA MetroLink - used Fullerton to LA Union Station on Orange Co line - monthly pass is$188.50
San Fran Caltrain - Zone 2 - $126.00
VRE - Zone 5 - $217.00 (To include Metro access in DC is $319)
MARC - Odenton-Washington on Penn Line - $125.00 ($228 with Metro Access)

Now, there's a lot of other factors to consider in each city, but, it just goes to show the commuter rail side is already a bit pricey against the national average. That doesn't factor in issues like our cost recovery, etc., but I just meant that to give everyone some perspective. As noted, only SEPTA's pass includes unlimited local city transit as an MBTA commuter rail pass does, and to add that in Washington DC is quite expensive.

(As an editorial comment, I was surprised how much cheaper SEPTA and METRA were compared to the MBTA. You really don't want to compare their service frequencies with ours when you realize that they're also cheaper!)
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Let's do it!

And we should toll up 93 north of Boston and south of Boston whether there's a hike or not.
BostonUrbEx

Postby AEM7AC920 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:07 pm

Speaking from a workers point of view if they do raise the fares I hope they improve the service to go along with it!
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby danib62 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:26 pm

Can we stop deluding ourselves into thinking that higher fares will mean better service. They are raising the fares to maintain the status quo! If they don't service will dive.
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby StevieC48 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Heck with the fare hike they want to make the retirees and employees pay also no more free ride, but it is part of the union bargining so I am not sure if the State House can vote on that one item.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby diburning » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:58 pm

danib62, keep in mind that SEPTA has an illogical fare system where you can buy a day pass that's good on all services (with the exception of out-of-state stops) that costs less than a round trip ride on their commuter rail system.

I'm sure if the MBTA did something similar, they'd lose more money.
Last edited by diburning on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
diburning

Postby sery2831 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:45 am

octr202 wrote:Compared to other commuter rail systems around the country, we're not quite such a bargain. I did a small sampling of commuter rail systems that don't end in New York City for comparison, comparing a trip of about 25 miles (roughly equivalent to MBTA Zone 5) for monthly passes, which in Zone 5 is $210.

Philadelphia SEPTA - Anywhere Trailpass - $191.00/month (note: Here this includes subway/trolley/bus access as well, others do not)
Chicago METRA - Zone E - $116.00/month

(As an editorial comment, I was surprised how much cheaper SEPTA and METRA were compared to the MBTA. You really don't want to compare their service frequencies with ours when you realize that they're also cheaper!)

The METRA pass does not include bus or the el. You can add a pass to the METRA pass, but it only offers limited access to the CTA!

From METRAs web site:
Link-Up Sticker - $39
Monthly pass holders can purchase a Link-Up Sticker for unlimited connecting travel on CTA and Pace buses. CTA usage is restricted to the peak travel hours of 6 a.m.-9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.-7 p.m.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)