Green Line Boeing LRV General Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby CRail » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:16 am

An internal meeting is being held Wednesday, March 21, for the Boeing to seashore. Details of this meeting will be sent out to the email list Thursday or Friday. If there is anyone interested who has not provided me with an email address, send me a PM with your name and email address and you will be added to the list.

THIS WILL BE THE FINAL BOARDING CALL FOR THIS MAILING LIST :P

Just think of getting the opportunity to ride/run one of these cars even long after Boston does away with them! :-D Brings a tear to my eye (figuratively speaking)
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby danib62 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:49 am

Is there really a list? And how does one get on this list? Also does anyone know what happened to all the old type 7 rollsigns that were taken out when they were redone?
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby tvon » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:46 am

any idea what the T gets from the scrap dealers for a trolley?
tvon

Postby StevieC48 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:25 pm

Look on the previous page about the rollsigns.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby octr202 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:10 pm

StevieC48 wrote:Look on the previous page about the rollsigns.

Come on, here's the next Seashore fund raiser -- just load up all you can from Riverside and sell 'em from the museum store!
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby GP40MC 1116 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:49 pm

As cool as that would be, I highly doubt that Riverside is going to start giving away free surplus rollsign's, then again you never know

Before i go too far off topic, Isn't this topic about Boeing LRV's :-D
GP40MC 1116

Postby CRail » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:21 pm

GP40MC 1116 wrote:I highly doubt that Riverside is going to start giving away free surplus rollsign's,
Before i go too far off topic, Isn't this topic about Boeing LRV's :-D

Why not when ALL rollsigns are surplus at this point, what do they need them for? If seashore asked for them, they could most likely get them. I think that's a great idea.

And good point, this supposed to be Boeings!
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby MACTRAXX » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:34 am

Everyone: I looked throughout this topic for any info on what the MBTA is doing with the retired Boeing LRVs-are any going to MUNI in San Francisco to join the others already there? I seem to remember that MUNI indeed got some former T LRVs. In case anyone did not know the LRVs were a joint order for Boston and SF-with minor differences such as seating between the car types. I recall coming to Boston for the first time in the summer of 1979 and riding around on the lines - I noticed a yard about halfway on the Riverside Line that was full of out of service Boeing LRVs - I recall the T had problems with them in the early days - that were being vandalized-they had numerous broken windows as an example. That was a strange introduction to the LRVs. Judging by the turnout on the linked to this topic LRV trip there seems to be plenty of support for some preservation of them. MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:58 am

I noticed today that the rerailer car is no longer on the siding between Boylston Street and Arlington. I figure it's at either Reservoir or Riverside, anyone know for sure?

MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone: I looked throughout this topic for any info on what the MBTA is doing with the retired Boeing LRVs-are any going to MUNI in San Francisco to join the others already there? I seem to remember that MUNI indeed got some former T LRVs. In case anyone did not know the LRVs were a joint order for Boston and SF-with minor differences such as seating between the car types. I recall coming to Boston for the first time in the summer of 1979 and riding around on the lines - I noticed a yard about halfway on the Riverside Line that was full of out of service Boeing LRVs - I recall the T had problems with them in the early days - that were being vandalized-they had numerous broken windows as an example. That was a strange introduction to the LRVs. Judging by the turnout on the linked to this topic LRV trip there seems to be plenty of support for some preservation of them. MACTRAXX

MUNI retired the last of its Boeing LRVs several years ago. They currently use LRV2s, which are considerably different in design.

I haven't heard anything about the Boeings being vandalized any more than the other cars, but both Boston and SF had major reliability issues with them for the first few years.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby MACTRAXX » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:44 pm

T3247: I was last in SF back in late 2000 when I rode them. I did not know that MUNI had indeed retired their LRVs. I believe the vandalized cars I recall from'79 were indeed in the Reservoir Yard. Another railcar generation - the Boeing LRV - passes into history here early in 2007! MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby sabourinj » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:50 pm

MBTA3247 wrote:I noticed today that the rerailer car is no longer on the siding between Boylston Street and Arlington. I figure it's at either Reservoir or Riverside, anyone know for sure?

3417 was on the ladder track at Northeastern on Wednesday, not sure where it went after that...
sabourinj

Postby rhodiecub2 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:17 pm

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
Boeings only ran on the line at times when it was truncated to Brigham Circle

Even when the E line went only to Brigham Circle in the 80s, I think the type 7 trains were mostly used on the E line.
rhodiecub2

Postby RailBus63 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:21 pm

rhodiecub2 wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
Boeings only ran on the line at times when it was truncated to Brigham Circle

Even when the E line went only to Brigham Circle in the 80s, I think the type 7 trains were mostly used on the E line.

Boeing LRV's did run at times on this route. Going back to the beginning, they replaced the ex-Dallas PCC cars on the Huntington Ave. line to Northeastern and Brigham Circle starting in 1978. Boeings ran all service on the route from March 1980 to June 1982, first to Symphony while the stations along the reservation trackage were rebuilt, and then later as far as Brigham Circle. PCC's then ran all service along the route for a while, but the Boeing cars took over the Heath Street service in 1984 and ran to there until the Arborway line was shut down for good in December 1985. There was no service at all to Huntington Ave. for six months while the subway incline was rebuilt, but the Boeings returned again to the Brigham Circle service in 1986. Not too long after that, Type 7's took over on all Huntington Ave. service.

Jim
RailBus63

Postby StevieC48 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:40 pm

There was a myth that was passed round with in the T on Y the LRV's stopped running on the E line. Alledged that since there were some high voltage power supply equipment on the bottom of the car.The T feared that if a car hit the LRV in one of these power supply equipment that the car that hit would become alive with 600VDC. Go figure lol.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby rhodiecub2 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:40 pm

StevieC48 wrote:There was a myth that was passed round with in the T on Y the LRV's stopped running on the E line. Alledged that since there were some high voltage power supply equipment on the bottom of the car.The T feared that if a car hit the LRV in one of these power supply equipment that the car that hit would become alive with 600VDC. Go figure lol.

Wasn't there an car accident where that actually happened on the E line?
rhodiecub2

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)