Metro Connection tunnel

Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: Robert Paniagua, therock

Metro Connection tunnel

Postby Acton Town S5 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:52 am

Just wondering the connection between the Red and Blue and Orange (Farragut N and McPherson Sq) how often is this link used and is it normal train operators or is there a special link.
Acton Town S5
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 1:44 am

Re: Metro Connection tunnel

Postby Sand Box John » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:41 am

"Acton Town S5"
Just wondering the connection between the Red and Blue and Orange (Farragut N and McPherson Sq) how often is this link used and is it normal train operators or is there a special link.


C&A connector under Farragut Square and B&E connector at Fort Totten are used multiple times a day, mostly during non revenue hours to make deadhead, maintenance of way moves between yards, the revenue collection trains also makes use of the connector tracks.

Greenbelt Yard is WMATA's major rolling stock service and repair facility and lay down staging area for rail replacement. Alexandria Yard also is major rolling stock service and repair facility and is home of the revenue collection facility.
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.
User avatar
Sand Box John
 
Posts: 2725
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: Hebron Maryland

Re: Metro Connection tunnel

Postby Acton Town S5 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:25 am

Sand Box John wrote:"Acton Town S5"
Just wondering the connection between the Red and Blue and Orange (Farragut N and McPherson Sq) how often is this link used and is it normal train operators or is there a special link.


C&A connector under Farragut Square and B&E connector at Fort Totten are used multiple times a day, mostly during non revenue hours to make deadhead, maintenance of way moves between yards, the revenue collection trains also makes use of the connector tracks.

Greenbelt Yard is WMATA's major rolling stock service and repair facility and lay down staging area for rail replacement. Alexandria Yard also is major rolling stock service and repair facility and is home of the revenue collection facility.

SBJ,

Again thanks, over in London on the tube there are Test Train Operators who are trained for the complete system and carry out any special movements but if a special move is only on one line then a local Train Operator would be used.
Acton Town S5
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 1:44 am

Re: Metro Connection tunnel

Postby Sand Box John » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:44 pm

"Acton Town S5"

Again thanks, over in London on the tube there are Test Train Operators who are trained for the complete system and carry out any special movements but if a special move is only on one line then a local Train Operator would be used.


In WMATA land everybody trained as train operator is qualified to operate on the entire railroad. I think those moves go to the operators that chose those work assignments. Work assignments are based on seniority.
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.
User avatar
Sand Box John
 
Posts: 2725
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: Hebron Maryland

Re: Metro Connection tunnel

Postby Acton Town S5 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:45 am

Sand Box John wrote:"Acton Town S5"

Again thanks, over in London on the tube there are Test Train Operators who are trained for the complete system and carry out any special movements but if a special move is only on one line then a local Train Operator would be used.


In WMATA land everybody trained as train operator is qualified to operate on the entire railroad. I think those moves go to the operators that chose those work assignments. Work assignments are based on seniority.

That is a lot of railway to train on or like you say due to seniority they tend to stick to certain routes. As they get more senior they can then pick a different position, over here there is a fixed roster and they rotate duties although they can do a duty change and at a lot of depots there is a mafia where those that like early shift get what they want and so on.
Acton Town S5
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 1:44 am

Re: Metro Connection tunnel

Postby Sand Box John » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:54 pm

"Acton Town S5"
That is a lot of railway to train on or like you say due to seniority they tend to stick to certain routes. As they get more senior they can then pick a different position, over here there is a fixed roster and they rotate duties although they can do a duty change and at a lot of depots there is a mafia where those that like early shift get what they want and so on.


Actually it's not, WMATA was built over a period of 45 years. The basic design standards put in place 45 years ago were use system wide. WMATA only uses 4 turnout types on the mainline #6 equilateral in pocket tracks, #8 and #10 turnouts in crossovers and #15 at junctions. So basically what one would see on one segment of the railroad will very similar to what one would on any other segments of the railroad.
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.
User avatar
Sand Box John
 
Posts: 2725
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: Hebron Maryland

Re: Metro Connection tunnel

Postby Acton Town S5 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:06 am

Sand Box John wrote:"Acton Town S5"
That is a lot of railway to train on or like you say due to seniority they tend to stick to certain routes. As they get more senior they can then pick a different position, over here there is a fixed roster and they rotate duties although they can do a duty change and at a lot of depots there is a mafia where those that like early shift get what they want and so on.


Actually it's not, WMATA was built over a period of 45 years. The basic design standards put in place 45 years ago were use system wide. WMATA only uses 4 turnout types on the mainline #6 equilateral in pocket tracks, #8 and #10 turnouts in crossovers and #15 at junctions. So basically what one would see on one segment of the railroad will very similar to what one would on any other segments of the railroad.


SBJ I understand that the system has been built up over the year but someone starting today would get the whole system but then would be allocated a line perhaps for some time so if they had to go over any other lines they would need re-training.
Acton Town S5
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 1:44 am

Re: Metro Connection tunnel

Postby Sand Box John » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:07 am

"Acton Town S5"
SBJ I understand that the system has been built up over the year but someone starting today would get the whole system but then would be allocated a line perhaps for some time so if they had to go over any other lines they would need re-training.


You are making the assumption that things are more complicated then they actually are. Those basic design standards cover multiple aspects of the way the railroad was built and operated. Examples include standardized signal placement and aspects, vertical and horizontal curvature and grade profiles to name a few, more specifically station platform grade profiles. All WMATA station platforms are 600' long and all but a couple are on a .035% grade to allow proper drainage. those the are not are level. All station platforms are straight with the exception of 2. The stations with curved platforms are under 1°. An operator might need to make a few familiarization runs over a route he or she has never operated on but nothing as extensive as a route specific qualifying program.
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.
User avatar
Sand Box John
 
Posts: 2725
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: Hebron Maryland

Re: Metro Connection tunnel

Postby srepetsk » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:38 pm

Sand Box John wrote:All station platforms are straight with the exception of 2. The stations with curved platforms are under 1°.


Which two?
srepetsk
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 12:57 am

Re: Metro Connection tunnel

Postby The EGE » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:10 pm

Brookland and Silver Spring, if memory serves.
User avatar
The EGE
 
Posts: 2460
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:16 pm
Location: Waiting for the N Judah

Re: Metro Connection tunnel

Postby Sand Box John » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:53 pm

"srepetsk"
Which two?


As The EGE said above Brookland and Silver Spring, the curve in the Brookland platform is the sharper of the two.
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.
User avatar
Sand Box John
 
Posts: 2725
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: Hebron Maryland


Return to DC - Maryland - Virginia Area Passenger Rail: MTA(MARC), VRE, WMATA(Metro)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest