Anacostia Corridor Demonstration Project

Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: Robert Paniagua, therock

Re: Anacostia Corridor Demonstration Project

Postby jhdeasy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:34 pm

I visited the worksite on Saturday October 9th.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53093586@N04/sets/

Set 2 contains nine new photos of progress along South Capitol Street, specifically the access track across South Capitol Street to the site of the future shop, and the south end of the tail track on the west side of South Capitol Street. Further north along South Capitol Street, all concrete barricades were removed from the vicinity of the switch and future station at the southwest corner of the intersection of South Capitol Street and Firth Stirling Avenue, near the gate to the Naval Station.

Firth Stirling Avenue was closed for re-paving. A bulldozer was working on smoothing the new asphalt.
jhdeasy

Postby Sand Box John » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:34 pm

Yard lead turnout 01 03 2010

Yard lead turnout 10 08 2010

Pavement cuts for yard lead across South Capitol Street are the same as they were on 01 03 2010

01 03 2010

10 08 2010
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.
Sand Box John

Postby jhdeasy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:39 pm

I stopped by the construction site on Sunday afternoon, October 10th, to take a few additional photos that I was unable to get the day before.

Here are nine new photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53093586@N04/sets/72157625012441173/

You can compare my photos from this weekend with my photos from 8-15-2010 to see some progress during the past two months.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53093586@N04/sets/

Firth Stirling Avenue was open to traffic, as the asphalt repaving of the avenue between Suitland Parkway and South Capitol Street appears to be completed.
jhdeasy

Postby Arlington » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:30 pm

I can't find what the outcome might have been from the Streetcar hearings described in this WaPo article:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/deboni ... _2010.html

Has anything advanced/stalled with the various streetcar projects?
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby jhdeasy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:24 pm

I drove by the Anacostia corridor street car line on Friday December 10th. There were no signs of anyone working along the line. Overhead catenary poles installed on the west side of the track along South Capitol Street have been painted black.

Around that time,or the previous week, I heard a news item on WAMU FM radio indicating:

a. Gabe Klein, Director of DC DOT, will not be retained by the new Mayor.

b. There continued to be conflicting opinions as to whether or not overhead streetcar wires (catenary) were legal within DC.

c. The streetcar line on H Street / Benning Road may be the first to provide service.
jhdeasy

Postby HokieNav » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:39 pm

jhdeasy wrote:b. There continued to be conflicting opinions as to whether or not overhead streetcar wires (catenary) were legal within DC.

Minor clarification - the debate over catenary is limited to the historic "L'Enfant City", most (if not all) of the Anacostia line is outside of those restrictions.
HokieNav

Postby strench707 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:43 pm

But the H Street Line is entirely affected by the wire issue correct? I find it garbage that people would waste time and money arguing against overhead wires in DC. And especially the H Street Line, what do you expect to see from H Street that catenary would block?

Davis
strench707

Postby Sand Box John » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:29 pm

"HokieNav"
Minor clarification - the debate over catenary is limited to the historic "L'Enfant City", most (if not all) of the Anacostia line is outside of those restrictions.

There is no 'if not all' about it. The entire Anacostia line is outside of overhead wire restricted area.

"strench707"
But the H Street Line is entirely affected by the wire issue correct? I find it garbage that people would waste time and money arguing against overhead wires in DC. And especially the H Street Line, what do you expect to see from H Street that catenary would block?

The H Street line is within the restricted area. However most if not all of the controversy over the use of catenary for power distribution is in areas of the Capitol City where it might effect the views. (Line crossing the Mall, Pennsylvania Avenue, 16 Street, North Capitol Street and on M Street in Georgetown).

Legislation was passed by the District of Columbia Council that modifies the overhead wire restriction and specifies what areas of the city where catenary or trolley wire may or may not be used.

Council clears tracks for trolley cars
Sand Box John

Postby strench707 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:45 pm

Okay cool, so when can we expect catenary installation (or provisions for it) along the H Street corridor. As we have had it reported and pictured that the Anacostia line is getting catenary supports and foundations what is currently being done on the H Street Line?

Thanks

Davis
strench707

Postby Sand Box John » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:27 pm

"strench707"
Okay cool, so when can we expect catenary installation (or provisions for it) along the H Street corridor. As we have had it reported and pictured that the Anacostia line is getting catenary supports and foundations what is currently being done on the H Street Line?

The same, the only difference is the pole foundation are not being left exposed after the streets were restored. As far as I know the contracts for the installation of the power distribution system have not been awarded.

Notice the concrete disk in the center of the paved median just this side of the shadow. There is a pole foundation under it, there is another one between the curb cut and the traffic signal control box on the left side of the street.
Sand Box John

Postby jhdeasy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:42 pm

I heard the following news item on WAMU 88.5 FM radio this morning ... then I found the following text on their website.
http://wamu.org
Streetcar Project Wins Federal Grant
David Schultz
December 22, 2010 - The Federal Transit Administration is awarding the District with a $1 million grant to look into building a new streetcar line.

The grant will go toward studying the feasibility of running streetcars along K Street in Northwest D.C. It's part of a $25 million nationwide package the FTA is giving to states that are looking to build new transit systems.

Winning the grant comes as somewhat of a reversal of fortune for the District. Earlier this year, federal officials raised concerns that the overhead wires used to power the streetcars may block views of D.C.'s monuments and historic buildings. In July, the FTA rejected the District's application for another grant -- one much larger than the grant it won this week.

Ultimately though, the city's first streetcar line on H Street in Northeast is fully funded and scheduled to begin running in 2012. Whether more lines are built after that is still an open question.

This news item on a potential K Street line, plus the announced plan to begin service on the H Street line in 2012, makes me wonder if the Anacostia Line will see service in 2012 or anytime within the next few years.
jhdeasy

Postby Sand Box John » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:53 pm

I don't see those streetcars stored at Greenbelt Yard turning wheels on tracks in DC anytime before 2014.

Work has been halted in Anacostia, ground has not been broken on the shop building on South Capitol Street, ground has not been broken for the streetcar station adjacent to the Anacostia metrorail station.

On H Street, DCDoT plans to use the old H Street tunnel under Washington Terminal for the servicing facility for that line. The station at Union Station is to be on the H Street overpass bridge with an elaborate elevator stair facility that would connect to the H Street pedestrian tunnel that WMATA built as part of the Union Station metrorail station. There are no facilities at Oklahoma Avenue to crossover streetcars at the eastern end of the line from the westbound track to the eastbound track.
Sand Box John

Postby jhdeasy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:05 am

I drove by South Capitol Street and Firth Stirling Avenue the other day. There were no signs of any workers or any progress on the project. The sign for the Anacostia Corridor Streetcar Demonstration Project posted on northbound South Capitol Street near the site of the proposed shop/storage facility has been removed and replaced with a larger sign about a sewer repair project. The streetcar line from nowhere to nowhere remains in hibernation.

Maybe DC DOT can make a few bucks by permitting NARCOA http://www.narcoa.org members to operate their speeders and track cars over the line, seeing how it is would be considered as rare mileage.
jhdeasy

Previous

Return to DC - Maryland - Virginia Area Passenger Rail: MTA(MARC), VRE, WMATA(Metro)