LIRR Fire Protection tank cars

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road. Official web site can be found here: www.mta.info/lirr.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

LIRR Fire Protection tank cars

Postby nyandw » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:11 am

Hi Folks:
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrmow.htm LIRR MOW page

Can anyone ID: Date and Photographer at Speonk for these:

Fill size images on the URL listed above.

Thank you.
Best,
Steve
nyandw

Re: LIRR Fire Protection tank cars

Postby RPM2Night » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:30 am

Both were taken at Ronkonkoma. Not sure who took them though.
RPM2Night

Postby jmeechum » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:40 pm

I can, Steve... they're mine. Taken at Ronkonkoma on 7/7/08 as originally posted here:

http://lirr.thermomods.com/index.php/to ... l#msg16902

Mike
jmeechum

Postby nyandw » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:19 pm

Thanks Mike,

Actually the photos provided by you and Ernie provide decent material to model these cars! Piping, motor, stencils, etc.

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrmow.htm Photos corrected and LIRRRetired indicates that motor underneath allows the car to pump its own water.

Best,
Steve
nyandw

Postby 452 card » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:18 pm

Its a nice feeling to see this useless car in a remote location that was probably argued over as to where it would be stored until its scrapped. It was created as a response to answer the trackside angle of defense after the terrible wildfire in the '80s that compromised WH station. The engineers that are switching out the engine periodically are doing it so that the Fed. insp. remains "up to date" . You cannot leave an engine there forever, it will go "overboard" and be unable to be moved over main track without a seperate inspection. Costly, and undesirable to happen.

Does anyone even check the pumping system? Or the equipment that propels it? Who maintains this arrangement? Not M of E. I'm sure. Is any of this system certified as usable in the fire protection system?

What safety/regulations apply to the car? I always thought this to be a needless expense to the taxpayers, but it went from location to location as it was shuffled around to store it.

Just think of the cost to the public via the MTA salaries that are levied as this unique device is deployed, if it ever is.
452 card

Postby Crabman1130 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:40 pm

I don't think it's a waste of money. You have it and hope you never have to use it, but if you need it it could save property and lives.
Crabman1130

Postby drumz0rz » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:38 am

I can't imagine it costs that much to keep, although they should periodically test the water system
drumz0rz

Postby ex-tc driver » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:00 pm

The track dept. used them sometimes to water down the stone ballast cars during big projects to keep down the dust in the hot dry summer .
ex-tc driver

Postby jayrmli » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:06 am

How is this any different than having fire extinguishers in a building? As stated, you hope you never have to use it. When the wildfires hit in 1995, they had to borrow one from Metro North. They used that one then, and it worked as intended.

Jay
Check out my website about railfanning in the Northeast!

http://www.northeastrailfans.com
jayrmli

Postby nyandw » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:06 am

by drumz0rz on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:38 am I can't imagine it costs that much to keep, although they should periodically test the water system
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The track dept. used them sometimes to water down the stone ballast cars during big projects to keep down the dust in the hot dry summer .ex-tc driver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How is this any different than having fire extinguishers in a building? As stated, you hope you never have to use it. When the wildfires hit in 1995, they had to borrow one from Metro North. They used that one then, and it worked as intended. Jayjayrmli

Excellent guys thanks for the info: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrmow.htm
LIRR #5000 Speonk, NY 06/01/2006 Photo: Nick Kudreyko
Best,
Steve
nyandw

Postby BobLI » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:36 am

The Fire protection car was in Morris park this morning coupled to an M-1 sandite car and an MP 15 on each end.
BobLI

Return to Long Island Rail Road