Brightline aka All Aboard Florida Orlando - Miami FL FEC

Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

Re: Brightline aka All Aboard Florida Orlando - Miami FL FEC

Postby Noel Weaver » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:52 pm

I think Fort Pierce would be a great location for a few trains to stop, they might be willing to build a suitable facility as well. Some of the politicians need to have enough common sense to realize that they will get a lot more with sugar than they will with vinegar. Martin County could have benefitted too had they approached this issue a little differently. Already there has been too much money wasted on lawyers.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby electricron » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:44 am

I'll agree that everyone gets a lot more with sugar than they will with vinegar.....

There's just too many "anti" political groups around today, on every issue it seems.
Whatever happen to compromise? I guess the old saying "If you want something you must first get along" died a few years ago.

Well, I believe it died over 150 years ago in this country when those choosing local economics over religious morales. Wars are always the eventual result between uncompromising groups.

Sometimes, throwing a bone at a mad dog pacifies it. Another Brightline train station could be that bone. Maybe not, it seems some will not be happy with just the elimination of Brightline, they will also like to eliminate FEC as well.
Last edited by electricron on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
electricron

Postby bostontrainguy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:48 am

There definitely would be a need for Orlando airport to Cocoa/Port Canaveral Cruise Port.
bostontrainguy

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:52 am

Even though "Zero Beach" could have greater passenger potential (like Willie Sutton; "it's where the $$$ are"), Indian River has fought along side with Martin. St. Lucie has only given them "lukewarm".

If AAF has a prayer of completion, it simply will have to make concessions to the Treasure and Space Coast communities with station stops.

Finally, I have yet to note any postings here suggesting AAF can "make it" in the private sector as some kind of Miami-WP Super Shuttle.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby electricron » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:57 am

bostontrainguy wrote:There definitely would be a need for Orlando airport to Cocoa/Port Canaveral Cruise Port.

Off hand, I agree. But after closer study, where would you put the train station at the cruise port? Which pier? How would passengers loaded down with lots of baggage get from one pier to the next? Whatever used could just as easy be used from Orlando's new multi-modal airport-train hub. You're going to need another multi-modal train-bus-cruise ship hub in Cocoa for it to work, and I strongly suggest Brightline isn't going to pay of it by itself.

Which brings us back to the honey over vinegar saying. Shouldn't Cocoa be studying how to get cruise-train passengers from the train station to the cruise piers? Shouldn't Cocoa be willing to fund its new multi-modal hub alongside Brightline tracks?
electricron

Postby OrangeGrove » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:59 am

The major cruise line piers at Port Canaveral are generally located around the west turning basin, and some already share common parking garages and facilities. Potentially, a centrally located rail terminal within walking distance seems practical.

Assuming, of course, Brightline will ever reach that far north.....
OrangeGrove

Postby electricron » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:48 pm

But the cruise terminals are miles away from the FEC mainline!
Brightline express trains are not going to leave the mainline, except to get to a final destination station, for example Orlando. For a train to reach the port piers, it would have to leave the manline, travel over a causeway to reach the port, and pull into a station platform. Then it would have to back out or reverse directions to get back to the mainline over the same causeway. A station at the port may be more convent for cruise ship passengers, it would be less convent for Cocoa residents.

A multi-modal hub will be needed for Brightline to build a train station. Just like in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, and Orlando - train passengers will have to have a confident means of transport to get to and from the train stations. That means of transport will not be provided by Brightline, they expect the local communities to provide it.

Additionally, the existing railroad causeway-bridge is located near Mims heading towards NASA facilities and not to the port, and is a good 10-20 miles north of the port and north of where the Brightline trains will turn to the west towards Orlando.
electricron

Postby chaz » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:11 pm

I want the Brightline to be profitable and copied all over the US. The part of the Brightline marketing plan that made the most economic sense to me...was stopping only in the business centers of large cities. Adding local service to (pick your town without a skyline) is going to be very hard to justify...even if it's only 1 train in the morning and 1 train at night. The only reason AMTRAK stops in McCook, Nebraska is so the Nebraskan congressmen continue voting to subsidize AMTRAK.
Chaz
MP 525 Hastings Sub-Division of the North Kansas Division of the Mopac
chaz

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:00 am

If they're going to "Launch" this month, you'd think the Tango flag would be flying by now.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby Noel Weaver » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:07 pm

Things are not exactly at a standstill here, good things can take time. Here is a link to a test run through Hollywood. It's going to happen and it's going to happen to ORLANDO in time. PATIENCE! PATIENCE!

https://youtu.be/lF5MvNWxf6k

Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby chrsjrcj » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:43 am

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/business ... HcjqnHAzI/

Basically it all comes down to, as Mr. Norman would expect, the completion of MiamiCentral.
chrsjrcj

Postby deathtopumpkins » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:30 am

One thing struck me from that article...

ticket prices will be announced about 10 days before service begins, company officials said.

This surprises me. Wouldn't they want to be selling tickets more than 10 days in advance? Are they just covering themselves in case they need to postpone the start date yet again?
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby gokeefe » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:54 am

Soft opening ...
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:14 am

Unlike Gannett's Treasure Coast Newspapers, the Cox Enterprises Post does not appear to be the "house organ" for the "anti-AAF" factions to the North. However at this time, it appears the August "launch" date is quickly sliding by. Possibly they are holding out for a Miami-WP "launch", but either way, they will have a Miami-WP "Super Shuttle" that, let's be honest, "hasn't a prayer".

WP-McCOy continues to be set back; I will get no personal "I told you so" satisfaction, as I would have definitely taken a "bumper post to bumper post" joyride.

That the railroad and FECI, AAF'S parent, are now owned by Mexican and Japanese interests respectively "hardly helps the cause". Likewise the "in the B's" financing is hardly a "slam dunk". Use FECI's "pot of Gold" from selling the railroad for AAF? Sorry folks, "not how it's done". "Debt free is for sissies and makes you ripe for a takeover." Besides it's "more fun with OPiuM; someone else holds the bag should things go South".

While extending Tri-Rail to Miami Central makes a lot of sense (even if the existing airport service will have to be "rationalized"), that won't happen so long as AAF operates MIA-WPB.

All told, I think the AAF end game will be a B-School case study. I think there will be many an avenue for students to analyze "what went wrong".
Gilbert B Norman

Postby dowlingm » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:00 pm

Gilbert B Norman wrote:All told, I think the AAF end game will be a B-School case study. I think there will be many an avenue for students to analyze "what went wrong".
Unfortunately, it will be merely seized upon by anti-rail/public transport people "Amtrak doesn't work, private sector doesn't work, nothing works stop trying, autonomous cars ftw" and their polar opposites "right wingers were wrong haha only Amtrak works lol" which means that passenger rail in the US will continue to be largely static since Amtrak doesn't have the resources to expand, and private interests will be neutered by the failure of AAF (and IP's adventure in Indiana).
dowlingm

PreviousNext

Return to Florida East Coast Railway