Brightline aka All Aboard Florida Orlando - Miami FL FEC

Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

Re: Brightline aka All Aboard Florida Orlando - Miami FL FEC

Postby Ridgefielder » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:21 pm

gokeefe wrote:Fantastic coverage. An interesting question comes to mind:

The article states this is the first time in 100 years that a privately owned and operated passenger rail service has started up. I would be interested to know what their benchmark was.

Could they possibly be referring to the New York, Westchester & Boston? That's the only thing I can think of that's a) a true railroad and b) fits the ~1917 time frame.
Ridgefielder

Postby chrsjrcj » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:24 am

What are commuter rail agencies typically classified as? That is what Brightline is most similar to.
chrsjrcj

Postby OrangeGrove » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:17 am

Brightline operations at launch will indeed resemble a commuter agency, and largely remain so if the Orlando extension never happens, though I don't think that's how they see themselves and certainly not how they want to be portrayed and marketed.

As for the first "privately owned and operated passenger rail service" for 100 years, that's only true if you do not consider the original Auto-Train Corporation to be either passenger service or privately owned (some tourist operations possibly blur the definition somewhat, or even the short lived Texas-Mexican operation). But Auto-Train clearly meets the criteria.
OrangeGrove

Postby gokeefe » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:15 pm

Very fair point there. I think the implication was "railroad owned and operated".
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby chaz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:20 pm

Here are links to 6 lists of named passenger trains in the US...sorted alphabetically. Surely, one of these qualifies as a privately funded passenger train within the last 100 years. Warning: this is addictive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_named_passenger_trains#United_States
Chaz
MP 525 Hastings Sub-Division of the North Kansas Division of the Mopac
chaz

Postby Ridgefielder » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:44 am

They certainly do. However, I don't think any of these services were started from scratch, with new stations, new rolling stock and new track. They're mostly upgrades of existing services with new equipment.

Only things that were genuinely started completely from scratch that I can think of are the NYW&B, the Philadelphia & Western, and the Wabash-Pittsburgh Terminal. Am I missing others?
Ridgefielder

Postby gokeefe » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:03 pm

I hadn't considered the fact that that Brightline truly is "from scratch" with new stations and rolling stock all at the same time. For intercity passenger service I'm actually surprised there are any examples at all in the 20th century.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby chaz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:27 am

Michael Reininger, Executive Director of Florida East Coast Industries wrote a letter to the editor of the TCPalm newspapers about proposed, anti-railroad legislation.

http://www.tcpalm.com/story/opinion/contributors/2017/03/20/guest-column-rail-act-simply-anti-growth-nimbyism/99309498/
Chaz
MP 525 Hastings Sub-Division of the North Kansas Division of the Mopac
chaz

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:44 pm

Here's video of the second set's, Bright Pink, delivery:

https://youtu.be/dcNSwdR5ogY

Even if I envision this equipment in the not too distant future liveried Amtrak, I remain astounded the project has come this far.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby gokeefe » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:55 pm

The financial basis remains in the development money. That is something that would not have happened in Miami thirty years ago before the Sunbelt really took off.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Jeff Smith » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:24 am

Progressive Railroading

We'll see whether Grupo Mexico's appetite for passenger rail is the same. No mention of it in the article.

Fair-use:

Grupo Mexico to acquire Florida East Coast Railway Holdings Corp.

GMexico Transportes S.A. de C.V. (GMXT), the transportation business unit of Grupo Mexico, will acquire Florida East Coast Railway Holdings Corp. (FEC) in an all-cash transaction under an agreement announced today.

Subject to closing conditions and government approvals, the FEC acquisition will establish GMXT as an "important railroad owner" in the United States, according to a press release issued by both companies.

GMXT operates more than 6,200 miles of track covering major industrial and commercial zones in Mexico. It connects to international transportation networks through eight seaports and six border crossings, handling more than 1.4 million loads per year.

"The acquisition of FEC is an important strategic addition to our North American transportation service offering," said GMXT President and Chief Executive Officer Alfredo Casar. "Our acquisition of the FEC will significantly enhance the scope, scale and diversification of our service. We are excited to welcome FEC to our transportation team as we work together to provide safe, reliable and efficient rail and trucking services to our customers."
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby Jeff Smith » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:27 pm

In the FEC for sale thread here: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=163769

...which we'll use for the discussion of the effects on the freight entity, it was brought up that the deal may not include Brightline, which may have been placed under the Real Estate entity of Fortress/FEC.

...also, I believe we're talking Ferromex. I have no plans on moving the thread at this time until we see the effects, but if they end up being separately owned, and FEC no longer owns Brightline, we may end up in Florida forum. Stay tuned....
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby chrsjrcj » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:43 pm

Well, the FEC never really owned Brightline either, FEC Industries did. And even so, the FEC Railway was spun off from FEC Industries after the Fortress purchase. Basically, until now, the only thing Brightline and FEC Ry had in common was a sugar daddy (Fortress/SoftBank of Japan).

Trains Magazine is reporting that Brightline will remain with Fortress, and that the project is unaffected because they have "dual ownership of the corridor". Now I wonder, does FEC Industries own the ROW or does the FEC Ry?

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... r-fec-sale
chrsjrcj

Postby electricron » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:53 pm

Now that Brightline and Florida East Coast Railroad are owned by two different companies not under the same corporate umbrella, would it also be a good idea to finally separate Brightline from FEC?
electricron

Postby mmi16 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:03 pm

Make Mexico Great Again!
Never too old to have a happy childhood!
mmi16

PreviousNext

Return to Florida East Coast Railway