Simplot Portage La Prairie Operations to US

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

Simplot Portage La Prairie Operations to US

Postby christopher1 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:51 am

Hello,
Noticed in the recent edition of Railfan and Railroad an article that indicated Simplot's Portage La Prairie plant was providing french fries to a distribution facility along NS near their new Greencastle, PA intermodal facility/yard. I know CP/NS also delivers modified cryotrans reefers to Martin Brower in Manassas, VA. Does anyone have any knowledge of this operation? Just wondering what routing/train symbols the cars take from Manitoba to Virginia/Pennsylvania.

Thanks,
Chris
christopher1

Re: Simplot Portage La Prairie Operations to US

Postby mtuandrew » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:53 pm

christopher1 wrote:Hello,
Noticed in the recent edition of Railfan and Railroad an article that indicated Simplot's Portage La Prairie plant was providing french fries to a distribution facility along NS near their new Greencastle, PA intermodal facility/yard. I know CP/NS also delivers modified cryotrans reefers to Martin Brower in Manassas, VA. Does anyone have any knowledge of this operation? Just wondering what routing/train symbols the cars take from Manitoba to Virginia/Pennsylvania.

Thanks,
Chris

Can't say for certain. However, I'd guess it looks a lot like this:

Over CP, it's almost certainly Portage-la-Prairie -- Winnipeg -- Minneapolis -- Chicago. Handoff to NS via Indiana Harbor Belt. After that, it gets a bit fuzzy. NS probably opts for Chicago -- Bellevue -- Roanoke -- Greencastle or Manassas, but I suppose they could go Chicago -- Pittsburgh -- Harrisburg -- Greencastle if they wanted.
mtuandrew

Return to Canadian Pacific Railway