Searsport Branch

Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

Re: Searsport Branch

Postby 690 » Mon May 02, 2016 8:53 am

Yes, Sprague reloads them, but it's not really competition between the two railroads, just the mills getting from different sources. The stuff Pan Am brings in is exclusively for the paper mills that they serve, none of it goes east of Waterville to NMJ. Likewise, the slurry they load in Searsport is exclusively for Irving (afaik, I don't think the CMQ has any businesses that take slurry), and doesn't touch Pan Am property.

Postby cvrr5809 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:26 pm

Sprague loads go to Saint John, NB. They travel North over CMQ to Brownville Junction and get handed off to NBSR/EMRR where they head East. GACs are always loads going down and empties back. Irving has been taking more as of late. I hate to say I haven't paid much attention to those because the numbers were random until recently. I wanna say they go North loaded like the Spragues, but don't quote me on that yet. I'll have to check the next batch
cvrr5809

Postby KSmitty » Mon May 02, 2016 7:19 pm

I believe that is correct, Irving hauls the stuff over from Saint John by water and sends it out for distribution from there as I understand it.
KSmitty

Postby Cowford » Tue May 03, 2016 12:11 pm

I believe y'all are talking about two different (albeit competing or substitute) products. Slurried Calcium Carbonate moves out of VT; slurried kaolin clay moves out of Sprague.
Cowford

Postby CN9634 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:05 pm

Correct, not all clay is equal.
CN9634

Postby NashuaActon&Boston » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:14 pm

Looks like this thread has been dormant for almost a year..

Does the CM&Q Searsport job still operate (more-or-less) weekly, on Saturdays?

Anyone witness any recent action?

I've never been up on the Searsport Branch - How many customers on-line? I spend time (a few weeks per year) in Newcastle on the Rockland Branch, and this has proven underwhelming for quite some time, in terms of witnessing activity. Figure I'll travel farther north one day. I have been on the Bucksport Branch (quite a rough show even 15 years ago) and the BML..
NashuaActon&Boston

Postby KSmitty » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:55 pm

NashuaActon&Boston wrote:Looks like this thread has been dormant for almost a year..

Does the CM&Q Searsport job still operate (more-or-less) weekly, on Saturdays?

Anyone witness any recent action?

I've never been up on the Searsport Branch - How many customers on-line? I spend time (a few weeks per year) in Newcastle on the Rockland Branch, and this has proven underwhelming for quite some time, in terms of witnessing activity. Figure I'll travel farther north one day. I have been on the Bucksport Branch (quite a rough show even 15 years ago) and the BML..

Ah. Still working 2-3 times a week regulalry. Saturday is usual, but not guaranteed.

Customers.
Dead River in Hampden. Takes LP.
GAC in Searsport/Kidder Point. Takes chemicals in.
Sprague in Searsport yard loads slurry.
Irving has a terminal right by the yard, but I don't think they ship regulalry anymore.
Other business is largely gone from the branch, but much of the infrastructure and tracks are still in place in the yard/port.
KSmitty

Postby 690 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:06 am

Irving loads diesel, not sure if they do anything else. For a little while GAC was taking something in hoppers, don't know if that's still happening or not, and there's also a spur at MP9 with some hoppers that have been sitting there; I'm guessing they load ballast there, but I've never seen them doing anything with them, so I don't know for sure.

Postby KSmitty » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:49 pm

MP9 is Mosquito Mountain. Load sand, I think, there. Strictly seasonal customer. Forgot about them.

The diesel that Irving is loading, is that the new service that goes to Presque Isle or whatever up on MNR? Or is it a long standing thing?
KSmitty

Postby 690 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:34 am

Mosquito Mountain is MP13, MP9 is by the third Muskrat Farm crossing (heading towards Searsport). They don't do anything at Mosquito Mountain currently, other than it being a "designated crew change location". I'm not sure where the diesel is going, I haven't been up by the Maine Northern or NBSR for a while.

Previous

Return to Central Maine & Quebec Railway (formerly Montreal, Maine & Atlantic / Bangor & Aroostook)