Amtrak's Thruway Bus Connections

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Re: Amtrak's Thruway Bus Connections

Postby ExCon90 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:25 pm

In California, Amtrak established many connecting bus routes where there had been no recent train service, but that was done with considerable support from the California Department of Transportation; I imagine local support in any given area would have a lot to do with what bus routes were established.
ExCon90

Postby mtuandrew » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:10 pm

Sometimes it seems to have to do with the providers Amtrak chooses for Thruway service. In the upper Midwest, Amtrak often works with Jefferson Lines and overlays their service on the existing Jefferson Trailways service, but it looks like you can only interline by buying through Amtrak.

There are a few surprising omissions - there's no Thruway service to:
-Des Moines from Ottumwa (I could have sworn there was)
-Chattanooga from Atlanta, or anywhere within Georgia for that matter
-Huntington, WV from either Pittsburgh or Charleston, WV
-Phoenix from Maricopa (but there is a Thruway from Flagstaff, ironically)
-Asheville from High Point via Winston-Salem (which does have a Thruway)
-the Branson, MO cluster from Kansas City, MO
-nearly anywhere in the NY Southern Tier, except Jamestown to Buffalo.

I was quite surprised to see extensive Thruway service in Wyoming though, as well as lower Michigan, Idaho and western Oregon, and the North Carolina coast.
mtuandrew

Postby east point » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:06 pm

Thruway service is limited at ATL due to parking bus(s) beside station limits adjacent 2 way traffic to less than 10 feet.
east point

Postby Backshophoss » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:48 pm

While not listed in the timetable,there is a bus to/from Phoenix Greyhound terminal that meets # 1 and # 2 at Maricopa.
The details might be at the ticket office at Maricopa.
Backshophoss

Postby gokeefe » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:18 pm

Reposted from the Empire Service thread:

gokeefe wrote:New connecting Thruway service provided by Trailways of New York announced:

HURLEY, N.Y., Aug. 4, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Amtrak customers now have a new option to reach destinations across New York State not accessible by rail, and Trailways of New York customers have gained access to destinations throughout the continent. Beginning today, customers are now able to enjoy connecting service at Amtrak stations in Rochester, NY, Syracuse, NY, Utica, NY, and Saratoga Springs, NY, allowing passengers to continue on to cities such as Cooperstown, Ithaca, Cortland, Glens Falls, Oneonta, and Lake George.

I've noticed over the past four or five years that it seems the Thruway network is seeing some significant growth in route structure (which seems to imply ridership growth as well). Good news for the long and middle distance services that benefit from the guaranteed feeder connection.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby David Benton » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:10 pm

Its a way to add capacity and ridership quickly and cheaply.
However, Checking some of the Narp station ridership stats , I was a bit surprised by some of the fairly low ridership numbers on some stations I checked .
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby Philly Amtrak Fan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:46 am

Phoenix-Maricopa has recently been added:

https://media.amtrak.com/2017/04/new-am ... nix-tempe/

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/proj ... 031118.pdf

Problem is one of the buses leaves Phoenix 3:15/3:45am!
Philly Amtrak Fan

Postby jonnhrr » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:14 pm

I notice that the Amtrak Downeaster schedule now lists the Concord Coach service from Portland to Bangor/Orono and Augusta as Thruway service.

One thing they should add as Thruway is the service from Portland to Auburn / Lewiston (Maine's second largest urban area, Lewiston only served when Bates College is in session). Seems like they are missing an opportunity here. Concord Coach only just added this service in June 2017 so maybe they haven't caught up with this yet.

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby gokeefe » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:53 pm

Quite possibly. The other routes you mention have actually been part of the Thruway service for quite some time now. Also worth noting that the coastal bus line up Route 1 to Bangor is included as well. If you search for some of these stations on Amtrak.com they will in fact come up.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby orulz » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:04 am

Thruway service from Asheville to Salisbury, NC is back on the table again.

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/new ... 914216002/

This service has been promised for a very long time, but always pulled back at the last minute for some reason or another. Meanwhile, the idea of thruway connections in Eastern NC went from proposal to reality in no time. The two routes in eastern NC have decent, but not amazing, ridership. Wilson-Greenville-New Bern-Havelock-Morehead City averages 20 passengers per day, while Wilson-Goldsboro-Kinston-Jacksonville-Wilmington averages 30. Politically, the coastal plain in eastern NC has always had more clout than the mountains in the west.

An Amtrak study predicts thruway ridership to Asheville of 2,100 per year, which is a pitiful number amounting to less than 6 per day. However, an NCDOT study predicts 13,000 per year, averaging to 35 per day, which would be in line with the ENC services above which are generally considered a success.

I live in Cary and my parents live in Asheville, and they have expressed that they would frequently use this service when they visit, which usually works out to about monthly; I have to imagine that there are quite a few other people who would do the same, or do the reverse for a fun visit to Asheville. Having a good stop location in Asheville is really important. The proposed spot I've heard about is along the tracks, near Biltmore Village, which is okay... but if you're going to do this with a bus, and given that few think actual passenger trains will ever be practical, you might as well take advantage of the fact that you don't have to stay close to the rails, and put the stop at the transit center downtown.
orulz

Postby mtuandrew » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:22 pm

Re: Biltmore vs Downtown, why not both?
mtuandrew

Previous

Return to Amtrak