National Assn. of Railroad Passengers (NARP)

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Postby matthewsaggie » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:53 pm

Actually I think that he AAA comment IS important.

Here in NC the AAA has lobbied against the funding that NC has put towards the rail operations that we have. Thay are listemned to in the General Assembly, though they have not yet been successful in stopping funding. That's not to say they haven't tried.

I am a member of AAA for the normal reasons stated, but I also let them know that I don't agree with their lobbying positions.

I am in NARP too, if that will keep us "on topic".
matthewsaggie

Postby wigwagfan » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:32 am

If anyone wants to start a new thread to discuss AAA's opposition to Amtrak, please do.

Back to NARP discussion we go.
--------------------------------------------------
Erik Halstead - Portland, Oregon
wigwagfan

Postby CNJ » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:38 pm

If AAA is so bad, then why does Amtrak offer discounted fares through them?
CNJ

NARP

Postby Tom Curtin » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:13 am

Gil Norman wrote
NARP is recognized as an Exempt Organization under IRC Sec 501(c)(3
That's a very interesting revelation to me, even though I have been a member of NARP for many years. Obviously I don't read the fine print in the mailings I receive. I had always thought of them as a lobbying organization which would mean they could not possibly be 501-c-3
Tom Curtin

Re: NARP

Postby Jishnu » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:03 pm

Tom Curtin wrote:Gil Norman wrote
NARP is recognized as an Exempt Organization under IRC Sec 501(c)(3
That's a very interesting revelation to me, even though I have been a member of NARP for many years. Obviously I don't read the fine print in the mailings I receive. I had always thought of them as a lobbying organization which would mean they could not possibly be 501-c-3

NARP got its 501(c)(3) status in the late 90s AFAIR. Before that it was not an Exempt organization. NJ-ARP currently is not a 501(c)(3) organization and it never has been one nor is ESPA (The Passenger Rail advocacy group in New York state) AFAIK.
Jishnu

Location: 150 yards from the M&E between Short Hills and Summit

Postby GeorgeF » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:56 am

Make sure to note that: "NARP is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Dues and contributions are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law", as stated at http://www.narprail.org/cms/index.php/main/join_narp/.
GeorgeF

Re: National Assn. of Railroad Passengers (NARP)

Postby gokeefe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:54 pm

NARP recently sponsored a "Summer By Rail" program for two students from my alma mater.

Very nicely done ...

Setting out to prove public-transit skeptics wrong, two Catholic University students, Victoria Principato and Cate Boyle, recently embarked on a 27-day journey across the United States (and back) using only trains, ferries, busses, metro systems, and their own two legs to do it.

The trip was the second iteration of an internship program called Summer by Rail, coordinated by the National Association of Railroad Passengers with the mission of proving how much of the country is connected by means other than car traffic.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby hs3730 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:55 pm

I didn't know this thread existed but now that I do, may as well mention something interesting: NARP is one of the organizations you can sign up for with Amazon Smile. It's a pretty low percentage (so far my purchases have contributed about 20 cents) but it doesn't cost anything extra and NARP gets a little extra coin based on purchases made through smile.amazon.com.
hs3730

Postby BandA » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:54 pm

Note the Summer by Rail interns brought their bicycles. That increases the cachement area from 1/2 mile to up to 3-5 miles. And in places where transit is slow like Boston it is a competitive option.
BandA

Postby east point » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:53 am

What bicycle advocates forget is only good in fair weather and warmer times. Do not infer that we oppose bicycles on the contrary support them but still all limitations need to be considered !
east point

Postby mtuandrew » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:14 pm

I’d be happy if NARP advocated for better connectivity at stations (the Lyft-Amtrak partnership helps a lot) and better intermodality onboard trains (both in terms of providing bike racks on all trains, and in continuing to improve WiFi and 120 VAC/5 VDC USB power access so passengers can work & play while riding.)
mtuandrew

Postby BandA » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:06 pm

Bicycles are a great thing - doesn't pollute the air, cost about 1/2 of 1% of an automobile, brake jobs are cheap ;), and heck we need the exercise! When combined with trains it sounds like synergy. And if it forecasts rain you can Uber or drive. Absolutely synergistic with Amtrak, but can be a competitor for the local buses/subways/trolleys!
BandA

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:03 am

From one who has not ridden one since college, and would be afraid to do so - especially at my age, there is the biggest downside. As a driver, I cringe when I see one. All too many cyclists have no obedience to the rules of the road.

And how about the rear auto racks. An otherwise minor rear ender becomes a major loss - and those things are "not my college bike" for which I paid $15 and ditched it (stripped the University registration and hung a sign on it saying "it's yours").

Now about taking one aboard a train, how often on METRA, where a limited number will be handled off rush hour, someone takes one on and there goes a whole rank of jump seats.

Me, I'll live with my two mile (almost) daily walk. Us elders do have balance issues which just add fuel to the fire.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby OrangeGrove » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:18 am

Just for the sake of argument (and begging the moderators pardon for dragging this farther off-topic), do any rail carriers have provision for handling three wheel bikes? An adult "trike' isn't all that much bigger and heavier, and since you of necessity accommodate ECV's anyway, it seems practical.
OrangeGrove

Postby Bob Roberts » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:51 pm

east point wrote:What bicycle advocates forget is only good in fair weather and warmer times. Do not infer that we oppose bicycles on the contrary support them but still all limitations need to be considered !

I do understand and accept your point, but I should point out that the residents of Montreal, Amsterdam and Copenhagen would certainly disagree with both of us.
Bob Roberts

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak