National Assn. of Railroad Passengers (NARP)

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

National Assn. of Railroad Passengers (NARP)

Postby Bobby S » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:27 am

I just received this in the mail last week. They say they are "NOT" affiliated with Amtrak but the brochure and invite letter seems to show otherwise. Is this a legit group? It seems to be a solicitation for pro-rail people who want to support the continuation of rail passenger service in the country. I swear this group sounds familiar. Anyone?
Bobby S

Postby villager » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:38 am

NARP is a legit organization. You can find their website at www.narprail.org.

They support keeping the existing passenger rail network and expanding it.

I don't give them money because of their un-critical thinking about how dysfunctional the LD network is. You might consider supporting the National Corridors Initiative instead, which focuses more on supporting corridor development in passenger rail. This group also publishes a nice weekly webzine called Destination:Freedom.
villager

Re: National Assn. of Railroad Passengers (NARP)

Postby wigwagfan » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:54 am

Bobby S wrote:They say they are "NOT" affiliated with Amtrak

Depends on the definition of "not" or "affiliated" you want to use.

Amtrak is certainly aware of NARP, and all NARP members do receive a discount on Amtrak fares (both NARP's and Amtrak's websites state so; and the NARP membership card IIRC has the discount code printed right on it.)

Amtrak recently had a contract that NARP managed the Amtrak Customer Advisory Council; needless to say that the contract caught wind by a few groups and persons criticial of Amtrak and a whirlwind of controversy ensued.

But NARP is not affilated with Amtrak in the same sense of the National Parks Foundation is affiliated with the National Park Service, as one example. NARP is not a department, agency or function of Amtrak.
--------------------------------------------------
Erik Halstead - Portland, Oregon
wigwagfan

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:02 pm

NARP is recognized as an Exempt Organization under IRC Sec 501(c)(3); as such, you can review, if you choose to register, their Form 990 Returns at www.guidestar.org

I've never been a Member; I recall reviewing their material during 1967 when they were founded and concluded my objectives for rail passenger service and theirs were not one in same.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby JoeG » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:39 pm

I think you can join NARP as a member-at-large, but mostly it is made up of state organizations, which vary widely. I, although I live in NY, am a member of NJ-ARP, which is a strong and often-successful advocate for rail transportation. (I joined mostly because I ride a commuter line that is run by NJTransit. But, NJ-ARP seems to be a stronger, more effective group than the NY chapter.)
Last edited by JoeG on Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeG

Postby Mr. Toy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:10 pm

NARP actually predates Amtrak, having been founded circa 1968. NARP was instrumental in the creation of Amtrak a few years later. Amtrak and NARP have sort of a symbiotic relationship.

I have been a member of NARP for several years. It is a good organization, but not without flaws. They do a lot of good work behind the scenes in Washington DC, but I don't think they do enough to get the word out to the public at large. I find in my travels that even among regular Amtrak customers most have never heard of NARP.
Mr. Toy

OF COURSE

Postby henry6 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:43 pm

"They say they are "NOT" affiliated with Amtrak but the brochure and invite letter seems to show otherwise."

Of course their literature would show Amtrak as Amtrak is the only inter city, interstate passenger railroad in the Country. Yes, it was around long before Amtrak was formed, too, but at the outset of Amtrak, that's all there was except the Southern Crescent and a Rio Grande Zypher. The states of California and Washington got their intrastate operations going later on; NY sort of supported the Adorondak while all other states leanded more toward commuter services.
henry6

Re: National Assn. of Railroad Passengers (NARP)

Postby dumpster.penguin » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:12 pm

wigwagfan wrote:Amtrak recently had a contract that NARP managed the Amtrak Customer Advisory Council; needless to say that the contract caught wind by a few groups and persons criticial of Amtrak and a whirlwind of controversy ensued.

Whirlwind or no, the street address Amtrak.com gives for the Amtrak Customer Advisory Committee is the same as NARP's street address.
dumpster.penguin

Postby Noel Weaver » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:38 pm

As has been pointed out, the NARP is not affiliated with Amtrak and they
actually do pre-date Amtrak as well. I was a member very soon after
their start-up but I dropped it when they had some anti-labor stuff in one
of their mailings.
i think they have had some leadership problems in the past and I have
never re-joined although I have thought about it at times.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby Jishnu » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:01 am

JoeG wrote:I think you can join NARP as a member-at-large, but mostly it is made up of state organizations, which vary widely. I, although I live in NY, am a member of NJ-ARP, which is a strong and often-successful advocate for rail transportation. (I joined mostly because I ride a commuter line that is run by NJTransit. But, NJ-ARP seems to be a stronger, more effective group than the NY chapter.)

NARP does not have any so called state chapters. It is a national organization with only one class of membership - individual members. While NJ-ARP and NARP do work collaboratively from time to time, I do not believe NJ-ARP has any other organizational relationship with NARP. A few of NJ-ARP's directors also happen to be NARP Directors. But, for example, by becoming a member of NJ-ARP you do not become a member of NARP or vice versa. Heck you don't even get any discount on membership of one for being a member of the other.
Jishnu

Location: 150 yards from the M&E between Short Hills and Summit

Postby JoeG » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:15 pm

Jishnu--
I had no idea that NJ-ARP wasn't part of NARP, and that, by being a member of NJ-ARP I wasn't a member of NARP. That seems very strange to me, but it probably accounts for why I never get stuff from NARP, except for occasional solicitations that don't acknowledge me as an NJ-ARP member.
JoeG

Postby gprimr1 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:05 am

Im a member of NARP. I enjoy reading there newsletter. I'm a member of AAA (on my own, one of probably 10 under 30 year olds who are) so the discount doesn't matter.

I just like to think I'm helping Amtrak.
-Greg Primrose
Moderator: General Discussion: High Speed Rail Amtrak
"I'm leaving on a jet train, don't know when I'll be back again. Bags are packed and there ready to go."
Ave Atque Vale
gprimr1

Postby villager » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:27 pm

By being an AAA member, you're hurting Amtrak through AAA's anti-transit and anti-rail lobbying operation. Consider joining Better World Club instead.

http://www.betterworldclub.com/competit ... .htm#watch
villager

Postby prr60 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:41 pm

Thanks for being our political watchdog. Next time I have a flat tire I'll be sure to call the Better World Club for help.
prr60

MODERATOR'S NOTE

Postby wigwagfan » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:03 am

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Let's get back to NARP. As one of my critics would say, this isn't highway.net - and not a place to discuss which auto club is better than the other.

Thanks,
--------------------------------------------------
Erik Halstead - Portland, Oregon
wigwagfan

Next

Return to Amtrak