Amtrak HHP-8 Locomotives

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Amtrak HHP-8 Locomotives

Postby STrRedWolf » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:04 pm

Backshophoss wrote:While the Amtrak Hippos are getting their 90 day check over to keep BBD happy,and wander back to storage at Bear.
Are any of the MARC hippos in service pulling trains,or are the BBD wrenchs just going thru the MARC Hippos to see if they can run? :wink: :P

One was hauling MARC 408 today, which if I remember turns into 421. I think the BBD techs are working on only one of the hippos.
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Postby STrRedWolf » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:11 pm

mtuandrew wrote:Potentially silly question: are the HHPs actually reliable enough to be in regular service (for even one RT BOS-WAS) or would they be shop queens? Pretty clear that Amtrak considers them more trouble than it's worth to keep them in everyday service regardless.

Oh, the glory days when we discussed how the HHPs might be candidates to become ad hoc AX-1 power cars with new-build tilt coaches.

I doubt BOS-WAS in stock condition. The reliability for BAL/PVL-WAS was hovering 50-60%.

That said, if BBD learned what happened and can make the HHP-8's be more reliable, that's data that even Amtrak can use... and maybe un-retire their fleet.
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Postby 8th Notch » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:35 pm

I'll settle for my HHP fix running the HST's, the MARC guys can have them all especially this time of year!
8th Notch

Postby gokeefe » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:38 pm

STrRedWolf wrote:That said, if BBD learned what happened and can make the HHP-8's be more reliable, that's data that even Amtrak can use... and maybe un-retire their fleet.

That would put them in the highly unusual position of having a surplus of electric power. Interesting thought.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Matt Johnson » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:46 pm

gokeefe wrote:
STrRedWolf wrote:That said, if BBD learned what happened and can make the HHP-8's be more reliable, that's data that even Amtrak can use... and maybe un-retire their fleet.

That would put them in the highly unusual position of having a surplus of electric power. Interesting thought.

If MARC's experimental HHP-8 with new Alstom propulsion works out, it could be interesting indeed.
Matt Johnson

Postby MattW » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:06 am

Ok, now I'm confused. Is MARC retiring its electric fleet or not? I thought they were going all dieselized, and some posts on the last few pages seem to be ambiguous about the issue, I see posts stating both things.
MattW

Postby Matt Johnson » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:51 pm

MattW wrote:Ok, now I'm confused. Is MARC retiring its electric fleet or not? I thought they were going all dieselized, and some posts on the last few pages seem to be ambiguous about the issue, I see posts stating both things.

The claim I saw was that Alstom was rebuilding one with all new propulsion, with the intention of rebuilding all six MARC units if it performs as intended. I've looked for confirmation, but to no avail.
Matt Johnson

Postby scratchy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:55 pm

MattW wrote:Ok, now I'm confused. Is MARC retiring its electric fleet or not? I thought they were going all dieselized, and some posts on the last few pages seem to be ambiguous about the issue, I see posts stating both things.

I think MARC phased out the AEM7, in favor of the new Chargers, which also replace the Legacy Geeps. The Hippos were to be retired, but I've a feeling that , if BBD can get them reliable, they are being kept for the Perryville trains.
scratchy

Postby CHTT1 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:00 pm

I'm also confused. How come Bombardier is suddenly working to make the HHP-8s operable? Amtrak has given up on them and has more than enough Sprinters for current operations. MARC has given up on electric operations. And Bombardier doesn't seem to have paid any attention to all the previous problems with the Hippos. So why put any effort into them now? There's not many options for locomotive hauled passenger trains in North America. This seems like a lot of effort for not much reward.
CHTT1

Postby Backshophoss » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:22 pm

Alstom has been keeping a low profile on the MARC Hippo "upgrade" as have BBD. Wonder if this an attempt by both to "clean up"
a bunch of bad PR and to nudge Amtrak to reconsider BBD and pull it's blacklisting as a supplier?
Backshophoss

Postby DutchRailnut » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:24 pm

and things might get weirder when Siemens and Alstom announce their merger next week.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby east point » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:33 pm

wild speculation. ====== Caltrain is starting their electrification at the San Francisco terminal. Maybe use them on electrified parts coupled with their diesels on sections not yet finished ?
east point

Postby Backshophoss » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:04 pm

CalTrain(JPTX) has yet to pick a builder for their motors,they have hardly started catenary construction yet.
Backshophoss

Postby electricron » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:17 pm

Backshophoss wrote:CalTrain(JPTX) has yet to pick a builder for their motors,they have hardly started catenary construction yet.

I thought CalTrains had already selected Stadler to build KISS double level EMUs. Maybe I am wrong?
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/pass ... racts.html

FYI, as stated in the link I provided earlier in this response, Balfour Beatty is being paid $697 million to electrify the 82km (51 miles) line. some math follows = $697 million / 51 miles = $13.6 million/mile. Thankfully, it is already a double track line, helping to explain the higher than $10 million/mile many have suggested as a rule of thumb cost for electrication on a mostly single track line.
electricron

Postby STrRedWolf » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:11 am

scratchy wrote:I think MARC phased out the AEM7, in favor of the new Chargers, which also replace the Legacy Geeps. The Hippos were to be retired, but I've a feeling that , if BBD can get them reliable, they are being kept for the Perryville trains.

MARC phased out the AEM-7's because they're out of warrantee service, and Amtrak isn't servicing them any more. Per the PO, the Chargers were to replace the AEM-7's. I didn't see anything about replacing the GP39/40's, but I did see that they keep the option of buying more Chargers to replace the HHP-8 on the condition of the hippos' continuing to be shop queens.

So yes, it's up to BBD to get 'em working properly.
STrRedWolf

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak