Curve Enforcement Signaling at Lincon

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Curve Enforcement Signaling at Lincon

Postby twropr » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:16 pm

I understand that on the NEC there was a recent signal upgrade at Lincoln (Metuchen, NJ) to assure compliance with the 80 MPH curve (95 for Acela) just west of Lincoln. The new enhancement provides a most favorable signal indication of "Cab Clear", which allows 80 MPH, at Lincoln going west and at the next automatic signal to the west for eastbounds.
I believe that there had been signal modifications a few months after the Frankford Jct. May '15 wreck to force compliance with the curve. Did the previous arrangement cause trains to reach speeds of less than 80 MPH going thru the curve? Am scratching my head trying to figure why the changeover to "Cab Clear" indications if there was a system in place two years ago? I thought that under the old system that as long as a brake application took place when the cab signals went to Approach Medium that the cabs would return to clear shortly after the brake application took place. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks!
Andy
twropr

Re: Curve Enforcement Signaling at Lincon

Postby 8th Notch » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:24 pm

I think you are meaning to say Cab Speed or Cab 80 and not “Cab clear.” A Clear in the cab would not be enforcing a certain speed as far as ATC goes. I’m not qualified in that area so I would have to defer specifics to one of my Zone 2 counterparts but I can say that most of the cab drops along the corridor are timed to force you to put the brakes on long and hard enough to significantly reduce speed.
8th Notch

Return to Amtrak