Amtrak Standard Stations

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Amtrak Standard Stations

Postby gokeefe » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:51 am

Believe it or not .... within the next few decades some of the stations built by Amtrak as part of their "Standard Stations Program" in the 1970s and 1980s will be eligible for "historic" designation by merit of their age (50 years or more). While I think its debatable if any of these should ever be preserved I think its nonetheless interesting to consider especially in light of the recent opening of the new station in Rochester, NY which replaced a "Standard Station", the reopening of St. Paul Union Depot, which replaced the "Standard Station" at Midway along with several other projects currently in the planning process.

Are there any examples of "Standard Stations" that have retained most of their interior and exterior trims and finishes without major structural alteration? I would expect that some of the "usual suspects" (Richmond Staples Mill) might come to mind but I'm interested to see if a lesser known example exists somewhere that doesn't normally come up in discussion.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Re: Amtrak Standard Stations

Postby mtuandrew » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:25 pm

As far as I know, Amtrak MSP Midway is still mostly furnished as it was when service ended, and still is an Amtrak property and crew change point. I wonder how MIA looks?
mtuandrew

Postby gokeefe » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:48 pm

mtuandrew wrote:As far as I know, Amtrak MSP Midway is still mostly furnished as it was when service ended, and still is an Amtrak property and crew change point. I wonder how MIA looks?

It appears to have been given a "refresh".
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby gokeefe » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:50 pm

I'm somewhat curious how many of these stations even remain in service. Right now the only two I am aware of are Richmond Staples Mill and Miami. It seems there are about a half dozen or so that have been taken out of service within the past 6 to 10 years.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Noel Weaver » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:57 pm

For the most part I don't really think Amtrak designed stations are particularly artistic or worth saving. The old Albany, NY station was discontinued as a station during the end of 1968. Today they are on their third station in Rensselaer since that time. The only station between New York and Buffalo that was designed and built by Amtrak today is Buffalo (Depew), there is nothing artistic about that building, it does it job but that's about it. I think a number of railroad built structures that remain would be well worth saving by locals in the area, not necessarily by state, federal or Amtrak. Same thing in Florida, Jacksonville does an adequate job although it is in a bad location and probably Amtrak would have been better off staying with the old station and rent out space that they did not need. Miami Station is definitely not a work of art but again it does the job. Is Delray Beach better off with the present situation of Amtrak using the Tri-Rail station and platform than they would have been if they had stayed in their old station which is north of the present facility? I don't know but they probably did not need that old station for anything much, Delray still has the stop although there are no services there. I would think anybody boarding at train at Delray Beach would probably be better off taking Tri-Rail north to West Palm Beach or south to Deerfield Beach where there is an air conditioned waiting room, agent, checked baggage etc available rather than stand or sit in the weather on the platform at Delray. Incidentally virtually all of the passenger stations of old in Florida had very long platforms that would hold 15 to 20 cars, not the 6 or 7 cars that many of them can accomodate today. Newer is not necessarily better or more comfortable for the passengers.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Re: Amtrak Standard Stations - 70s and 80s era

Postby MACTRAXX » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:52 pm

Everyone:

Is there a way to get or compile a list of Amtrak-built stations from this era?
What about these stations that are on routes no longer served by Amtrak?

The linked Amtrak Historical Society article mentions Canton, Ohio which was a 50C station that
opened in 1978 - served by trains 40 and 41 - The Broadway Limited - until the 1990 reroute.

I remember features from the Canton Station such as the directional signs which read "WEST CHICAGO" and "EAST NEW YORK" which I found interesting since there are stations with those
exact names on commuter lines (UP former C&NW West Line and LIRR Atlantic Branch) that were
placed on the Canton platform - and the overhead triangular sign above the parking lot entrance
which contained the Amtrak pointless arrow logo at least partially in neon - it looked neat lit up
at night which is when #40 and #41 were scheduled to stop at Canton...

From looking at air views of the Canton Station it now looks to be a convenience store or coffee
shop titled "Full Flava Cafe" located at 846 Market Avenue S, Canton OH 44702 (330)454-3933
Good to see that it is being used - and for that matter the platform and canopy a!ongside looks
to be intact - and perhaps even useable for passenger trains...

Another good example is Cleveland Lakefront Station which I believe was a Type 150B station.

I do agree that at least one of these stations should be preserved from this era - but which of
them has been modified or changed over time the least?

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby gokeefe » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:18 pm

I agree ... But if you were going to save just one ... Perhaps an exceptional example of the unexceptional which one might it be?
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby The EGE » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:22 pm

Tri-State station in Catlettsburg, KY (built 1975, abandoned 1998) is still extant. Far as I know, it has not been used for anything since its closure.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Re: Amtrak Standard Stations - 70s and 80s era

Postby gokeefe » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:39 pm

MACTRAXX wrote:I do agree that at least one of these stations should be preserved from this era - but which of
them has been modified or changed over time the least?

I think there's a complicated dynamic at play here as well. No one would want to curse a major American city with the preservation of a "historic" artifact of the mundane. But it seems far more preferable that an intact medium sized or better station be chosen that still has Amtrak service.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby MACTRAXX » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:49 pm

The EGE wrote:Tri-State station in Catlettsburg, KY (built 1975, abandoned 1998) is still extant. Far as I know, it has not been used for anything since its closure.

EGE (and Everyone:)

From a Google Maps view TSS Station looks to be intact but modified and used as a CSX facility.
It is listed as "Pikes CSX" 101,135 12 Street Catlettsburg,KY 41129 alongside US 60 Center Street.

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby BandA » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:07 pm

Worcester seems to still have a standard looking station standing next to the renovated Union Station. I have no idea if it is used for storage, crew space or is unused.
BandA

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:57 pm

BandA wrote:Worcester seems to still have a standard looking station standing next to the renovated Union Station. I have no idea if it is used for storage, crew space or is unused.

Yes...that is the still-standing Amshack constructed after Union Station closed in 1974 at the suspension of commuter rail service.

The MBTA used that stop from the reinstatement of commuter service in 1994 to the reopening of renovated Union Station in 2000. I don't think the low platform in front of the building is in its original AMTK configuration, however. The T had to have done some lengthening work for the reinstatement of commuter rail service (such as the narrow low platform extension over the Grafton St. overpass currently used as an emergency exit from the full-high), and that metal platform shelter east of the Amshack in front of the parking lot is a typical late-80's/early-90's prefab T structure found at pretty much every low or mini-high CR station of similar construction vintage.

No idea what official function the building is used for today, other than must be some sort of office space because employees always park tightly around all corners of the building including underneath the awning where the old kiss-and-ride was.
Last edited by F-line to Dudley via Park on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby gokeefe » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:03 pm

I was there recently and saw it up close. It is boarded up (not obvious until you are close) and does not appear to be in use for anything by Amtrak. Could be for MBTA/Keolis Maintenance of Way.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Trinnau » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:46 am

gokeefe wrote:I was there recently and saw it up close. It is boarded up (not obvious until you are close) and does not appear to be in use for anything by Amtrak. Could be for MBTA/Keolis Maintenance of Way.

Keolis MOW is indeed what it is used for.
Trinnau

Postby STrRedWolf » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:51 am

Do we have a copy of this text? While I'd love to thumb through it, I think we need to submit stuff to the Internet Archive and preserve it.
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Next

Return to Amtrak