Power Shortage?

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Power Shortage?

Postby Tadman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:22 pm

Is there a power shortage? I notice quite a few Midwest corridor trains have not been running with power on either end, as was the practice for the last decade or so. I'm guessing a few have been sent out west to cover for the P59 fleet, which appears (no hard evidence here, just personal observation) to be out of service more than usual.
Tadman

Re: Power Shortage?

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:43 pm

Just the entire diesel fleet is streached real thin right now,while the IL Chargers have been allowed to go in service,
the WSDOT/ORDOT chargers still sit on the sidelines,for no known reason.
Backshophoss

Postby east point » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Backshophoss wrote:Just the entire diesel fleet is streached real thin right now,while the IL Chargers have been allowed to go in service,
the WSDOT/ORDOT chargers still sit on the sidelines,for no known reason.

Wonder if it is due to installing signaling equipment specifically PTC ?
east point

Postby gokeefe » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:10 pm

Tadman wrote:Is there a power shortage? I notice quite a few Midwest corridor trains have not been running with power on either end, as was the practice for the last decade or so. I'm guessing a few have been sent out west to cover for the P59 fleet, which appears (no hard evidence here, just personal observation) to be out of service more than usual.

Short answer for diesel-electric ... "Yes".
gokeefe
gokeefe

Return to Amtrak