The Coffee

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: The Coffee

Postby Backshophoss » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:32 pm

Dunkin is supplying the coffee and the coffee brewers,replacing the under maintained Bunn o matic brewers from the factory or
stores dept shelves in the cars. Most of them never had a vinegar run to clean out the coils in the brewer! Does help to clean out the
scalely crap stuck in the coils and replace the filter at the water inlet fitting.
While heated vinegar will smell bad,looking at the stuff caught in a empty coffee filter will show it did the job!

Starbucks makes"fancy" stuff,no true regular coffee, and some what over priced to Boot. :P
Dunkin makes GOOD true coffee,at a decent price. :-)
Coffee brewed at 7-11 or Circle K is fair at a fair price.
Backshophoss

Postby AgentSkelly » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:55 pm

McDonalds until recently used Green Mountain, but now it switched to Gavina. They started using Green Mountain in 2006 as I recall.

Amtrak as I understand uses different coffee suppliers based upon the train. Cascades for example uses a not-Starbucks roaster out of Seattle...name escapes me.
However, Amtrak's commissary supplier, Aramark has their own house coffee.
New Westminster to Amtrak 516, whats up with the extra 4 axles, over?
AgentSkelly

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:25 am

Funny, an iced coffee with a shot of peppermint syrup - no latte, no foam, no frappuccino diabeetus nonsense, etc is no more expensive at Starbucks than it is at Dunkin (aside from the fact that you can't get peppermint at Dunkin outside of Christmas) Stop ordering the fancy crap and it's not more expensive. :D

Dunkin Donuts hot coffee is terrible. The iced coffee is only decent because they have to brew it twice as strong to account for being watered down with ice.'

Shoulda split the contract - Wawa supplies the trains that originate in DC, Cumberland Farms the ones who originate in Boston...both have cheap coffee that actually tastes good.

Off to go mourn the loss of my 99 cent Cumby's every morning...man, they need to come to the greater NYC area...Orange County ain't close enough. *sob*
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:31 am

Ms. Blunt, why isn't your personal chef out searching the byways of Trader Joe's and Whole Paycheck for "that bean to die for"? :P :P

It's just coffee volks.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:31 am

Ok we get it, you're not picky...others are ;)
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby Railjunkie » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:49 am

If I may, Green Mountain coffee hasn't been served on an Empire service train in at least 3 years. I'm not sure who provided the coffee after that. It wasn't as good as Green Mountain. However the key to a good cup of joe on the train comes down to 3 things. First, even though the pot looks clean rinse it out a couple of times. Second, run at least a couple of cycles of hot water through the system before you brew your first pot. Third, always add a couple of salt packs to the coffee when it was brewing. Learned these from and old timer, never had any complaints about my coffee.
Railjunkie

Postby JeffersonLeeEng » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:08 am

If "Coffee is Coffee", why does Philadelphia's 30th Street Station have at least six different places that service their own brands of coffee?

1. Store: Nelson's - Brand: La Colombe
2. Store/Brand: Dunkin Donuts
3. Store: Wendy's - Brand: Redhead Roasters (No other brand ID that I can tell)
4. Store/Brand: Saxbys
5. Store/Brand: Cosi
6. Store/Brand: Au Bon Pain

(Also, don't get me started regarding Wawa brand coffee or 7-11 for that matter when it comes to convenience store brands...)
JeffersonLeeEng

Postby Tadman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:43 am

Mod Note: I think we can safely assume (and lay of discussing) if there is a difference bewteen beers, coffee, etc. It has nothing to do with the price of tea in China. Perhaps let's stick to the ramifications of the coffee change.
Tadman

Postby mtuandrew » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:04 pm

Dumpster Penguin or others, do you have a picture of the new upholstery?

Mod note
- these questions (and pictures) are over at the amfleet rebuild thread. Thanks.
mtuandrew

Postby hi55us » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:28 am

More intrigued by the new Business Class seats on the Empire service, do you have any pictures? Did they keep the seats 2-1?
hi55us

Postby kitn1mcc » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:18 pm

I think the bunn o matic system on the were built to fit in the special area .
Ui Company Meter Services
kitn1mcc

Postby STrRedWolf » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:59 pm

It makes me wonder what routes now carry what coffee. I'm actually writing a bit of train travel fiction and Starbucks is explicitly banned, so I should put in some regional brands just in case.

The route is:
  • Boston to Washington via the NEC.
  • Washington to Chicago via the Capitol Limited.
  • Chicago to Dallas via Texas Eagle
  • Dallas-Ft Worth-Abelene-Albuquerque-Tucson-Phoenix-Yuma
  • Yuma to Los Angeles via Sunset Limited
  • Los Angeles to Seattle via Coastal Starlight
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Postby phoebesnow » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:05 pm

Coffee has always played an important role in dining car operations. Most railroads had special roasts produced especially for them as a distinguishing feature of the dining car meal. Most railroads went to more generic blends by the 1960's. The blends varied wildly. The New Haven had a very mild, smooth roast, the L&N's coffee had a hint of molasses, even the North Shore had its "Special Blend".

The Phoebe Snow Company has been able to locate the blends from some of these lines. If you want to try one from your favorite line look here: http://www.phoebesnowco.com/Coffee_c3.htm.
Purveyors of fine food products from the Golden Age of Railroad Travel
http://www.phoebesnowco.com
phoebesnow

Postby mtuandrew » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:48 pm

That is a really cool business model.

RAILROAD.NET Blend: bright and intense with nutty & bitter notes, an acidic mouthfeel, and a foamy finish reminiscent of axle grease & salt. Pairs well with Lackawanna Restoration Cake (available next year... or the year after...) and pointless arguments :P
Last edited by mtuandrew on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtuandrew

Postby Backshophoss » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:57 pm

That the stuff left overnight on the pot warmer! yuk!! :( :P :P
Backshophoss

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak