Tukwila SeaTac Cascades - Meh

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Tukwila SeaTac Cascades - Meh

Postby Tadman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:20 pm

I am a big fan of the Cascades. Any time I'm out and about between Eugene and Vancouver, BC, I travel by Cascades. There's one glaring problem. The busiest airport in the corridor, SeaTac, has a station maybe a mile or two away. Instead of a dedicated shuttle between the two, you can walk across some interstates or pay for a $20 cab ride. Barf. There is no easy way to get from SeaTac to Tukwila station, which also serves the Sounder trains between Tacoma and Seattle. This is especially galling when you consider how much money they sink into SeaTac. How many billions have been poured into that place (its still a dump) and we can't have a bus meet the trains?

Very disappointing from a city that emphasizes the car-less lifestyle.
Tadman

Re: Tukwila SeaTac Cascades - Meh

Postby NorthWest » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:38 pm

You can take a Link Light rail train a few stops and then a bus, or simply take the Link into Union Station and switch to the adjacent King Street. Not great, but it works. Transit service in the Seattle area is pretty balkanized along county lines so it can be hard.
NorthWest

Postby MattW » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:27 am

KIng Metro's RapidRide F Line has serivce from the Tukwila Station to the Tukwila International Boulevard station where you can transfer to the light rail to SeaTac.
MattW

Postby R30A » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:53 pm

574 bus from Tacoma Dome station to SeaTac is a pretty painless ride too. done it a number of times now.
R30A

Postby Tadman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:09 pm

I detest riding a paid city bus, perhaps two, to transfer from airport to train station. That's a really low-rent solution. Think of the logistics of hustling 1-3 bags aboard, making change or buying a fare card (somewhere) and remembering to pull the cord and hustle your stuff off. Fail. Imagine if that was the solution to get between the airport and the rental car facility.
Tadman

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Com'on, Mr.Dunville. You know of my Poor Man's Way to O'Hare. BNSF to CUS then CTA Blue Line. Cost for a Senior $8.20 round trip.

But I confess; with a 20lb bag, last month when I went OSEAS, I did use a Livery Car. Especially nice for the return from Terminal-5 when your stomach thinks it's almost Midnight.

But it will be back to Poor Man's for my next trip using air travel.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby Backshophoss » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:07 pm

SeaTac has a LinK light rail station,Bail off at International/Chinatown station for a block or so hike to Amtrak King street.
The Seattle Streetcar rolls past King st station ,unknown if there's a stop there,can connect to it at link's International station
Routing is First hill line of the streetcar. :wink:

May need to look at a SeaTac facilty map to find where the Link's light rail station is at the airport.
Backshophoss

Postby Tadman » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:41 am

The Link light rail is easy to get to in the airport. It's quite useful for rides downtown. But if you have business anywhere north of downtown or south of Tukwila, Link isn't so useful. I seem to wind up in Tacoma or Bellingham.

Point is, you can't really consider it an integrated corridor unless you integrate it. I.E. the BWI dedicated bus between BWI airport and BWI NEC station. The NEC has quite a few airport station links, and it's really useful.
Tadman

Return to Amtrak