Suggestions for Portland, Maine?

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Suggestions for Portland, Maine?

Postby markhb » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Funny how I remember PTC.- Portland Terminal Company - structure to be this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _c1890.jpg

Incidentally, The Funk had their own "almost as impressive" station.

Mr. Norman, I didn't realize you had ever visited our fair city! Alas, the Union Station you remember was razed during the Kennedy administration, and the Grand Trunk station not long after (both were long gone before I knew what a train was, I'm afraid). The current Portland Transportation Center is a far less grand 1990's bus terminal that was expanded for rail use; it is clean and comfortable but certainly not the least bit inspiring.
"...And then I thought, every time some company creates a more powerful locomotive does Superman become more powerful as well or is he stuck at 1938 locomotive power levels?" - A friend of mine elsewhere
Anything I post here is mine alone and does not represent the views of my employer.
markhb

Postby Hux » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:03 pm

eustis22 wrote:Bus to congress st is free with train ticket.

Hmmmm, learn something new every day.
Hux

Postby hi55us » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:46 pm

Hux wrote:
eustis22 wrote:Bus to congress st is free with train ticket.

Hmmmm, learn something new every day.

Had a fantastic trip, Portland was a great city and really enjoyed the beautiful Dome car, they need to order 50 of them for every train in America.

The Bus was not free, driver had no idea, was only $1.50 and paid on board. Easiest way to get downtown, took an uber back from the waterfront coming back which was fine.
hi55us

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:45 am

markhb wrote:Alas, the Union Station you remember was razed during the Kennedy administration

Mr.HB, I must wonder if anyone has memories/photos of the "PatShack" built to replace PTC until McNuisance could rid himself of the service. That made way to sell the equipment to a third-party "shellcorp" controlled by his henchmen at a below market price and then that outfit resold it at market price to the likes of LIRR, WAB, and NdeM.

Back then, all auditors cared about was that the transaction was properly recorded on the books and that the proceeds went into the till. They were hardly concerned with the efficacy of such.

Pretty sure it was that stunt that put "Pat and Pals" behind bars.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby sicariis » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:43 am

You need to go to the Cafe car on the train to pick up your free ticket for the Portland Metro Bus. Last time I was on the DE headed north, one of the train hosts was also giving out coupons for a decent % off Taxis in Portland. They also sell CharlieCards for Boston in the Cafe Car which have their own built-in discount vs. the CharlieTickets the vending machines sell.
sicariis

Postby hi55us » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:12 am

sicariis wrote:You need to go to the Cafe car on the train to pick up your free ticket for the Portland Metro Bus. Last time I was on the DE headed north, one of the train hosts was also giving out coupons for a decent % off Taxis in Portland. They also sell CharlieCards for Boston in the Cafe Car which have their own built-in discount vs. the CharlieTickets the vending machines sell.

Oh wow, good to know, they didn't publicize it at all and I went to the cafe too.
hi55us

Postby Hux » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:18 pm

Thanks for the heads up.
Hux

Postby markhb » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:54 pm

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
markhb wrote:Alas, the Union Station you remember was razed during the Kennedy administration

Mr.HB, I must wonder if anyone has memories/photos of the "PatShack" built to replace PTC until McNuisance could rid himself of the service. That made way to sell the equipment to a third-party "shellcorp" controlled by his henchmen at a below market price and then that outfit resold it at market price to the likes of LIRR, WAB, and NdeM.

Back then, all auditors cared about was that the transaction was properly recorded on the books and that the proceeds went into the till. They were hardly concerned with the efficacy of such.

Pretty sure it was that stunt that put "Pat and Pals" behind bars.

There has been some discussion of it in the "Portland, Maine Passenger Stations" thread; this post links to an image which is believed to include the "PatShack". And here there is a clipping from the MEC archives of the actual closing of the sale of the station.
"...And then I thought, every time some company creates a more powerful locomotive does Superman become more powerful as well or is he stuck at 1938 locomotive power levels?" - A friend of mine elsewhere
Anything I post here is mine alone and does not represent the views of my employer.
markhb

Previous

Return to Amtrak