Amtrak CEO on CBS Early Morning

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Amtrak CEO on CBS Early Morning

Postby STrRedWolf » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:21 am

https://www.cbsnews.com/videos/amtrak-c ... il-system/

A quick summary: more infrastructure fixes, need dedicated track for passengers service, new Accella train sets, no change to seat pitch.
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Re: Amtrak CEO on CBS Early Morning

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:22 am

CEO as in Richard Anderson.

Otherwise, can't get it to open up here on the desktop in my office - 20' away from my router. Try my phone which can be on top of such if need be.

addendum: Now that I've seen the interview, pretty "whiffleball" if you ask me.

Other point; has Moorman set a new precedent? Amtrak CEO salary of $1.00 a year?
Gilbert B Norman

Postby BandA » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:08 pm

What shocked me was how impatient the interviewers were when Richard spoke for more than 10 seconds, and how tightly they controlled the interview with leading questions. How I miss Ted Koppel.
BandA

Postby gokeefe » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:30 pm

Wick Moorman was on CNBC today. Probably a "first" ever for Amtrak to score two major network interviews on the same day (let alone with two different CEOs).

Nice victory lap on a job well done at Penn Station.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby ExCon90 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:39 pm

BandA wrote:What shocked me was how impatient the interviewers were when Richard spoke for more than 10 seconds, and how tightly they controlled the interview with leading questions. How I miss Ted Koppel.

I haven't seen the interview, but I often think that interviewers should have a placard in front of them reading "IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU--when you ask a question, wait for the answer."
ExCon90

Postby OrangeGrove » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:08 pm

BandA wrote:What shocked me was how impatient the interviewers were when Richard spoke for more than 10 seconds, and how tightly they controlled the interview with leading questions

Indeed. Most of us here know better than anyone how Amtrak has lurched from one crisis to the next since 1971, but recently under Wick Moorman the company has been relatively stable (budget issues are almost 'business as usual'). So, just what did one interviewer intend phrasing his question "Amtrak is in real trouble"?
OrangeGrove

Postby mtuandrew » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:41 pm

OrangeGrove wrote:So, just what did one interviewer intend phrasing his question "Amtrak is in real trouble"?

For the networks, trouble sells, stability yawns. For Amtrak, trouble (if spun correctly) gets popular support, stability gets the same old trickle of haters.
mtuandrew

Postby sicariis » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:57 pm

Here's the Richard Anderson Interview on CNBC in two different clips.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/05/elon-musks-hyperloop-is-not-realistic-right-now-amtraks-co-ceo.html
sicariis

Postby dowlingm » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:58 am

ExCon90 wrote:I haven't seen the interview, but I often think that interviewers should have a placard in front of them reading "IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU--when you ask a question, wait for the answer."
any interview with a significant person with access to communications coaching is always going to be a balancing act - the interviewee is likely coached to speak for as long as possible on comfortable questions especially if it provides an opportunity to skew it away from uncomfortable ones/chew up time, and to provide responses which seem to address the question but avoid directly answering it. Some interviewers will simply let it play out, resulting in uninformative fluff, some will overcompensate and the result is noise.

This always comes to mind when you have a dogged interviewer pursuing an experienced interviewee who refuses to answer directly: https://youtu.be/IqU77I40mS0
dowlingm

Return to Amtrak