Hunter Harrison, CSX, and Amtrak OTP

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Hunter Harrison, CSX, and Amtrak OTP

Postby Jeff Smith » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:27 am

We've got a pretty lively topic on HH at CSX in the CSX forum, but this article makes me think we need one here:

http://www.jconline.com/story/money/201 ... 610777001/

One wonders if Amtrak wouldn't consider going to federal court for an injunction or order against CSX.

Amtrak: CSX CEO Hunter Harrison is wrong, and things aren't improving

LAFAYETTE, Ind. — To hear CSX CEO Hunter Harrison tell it, the embattled freight railroad is on the right track.

But to Amtrak and its customers, nothing could be further from the truth.

As Amtrak's on-time performance tumbles toward record-low territory, it has placed the blame squarely on the shoulders of its partner, CSX, on whose tracks Amtrak trains run between Indianapolis, Lafayette and Dyer.
"The single most important thing to our customers is whether they are able to get to where they want to go on the schedule that they expected, and the second most important thing to them is how we explain to them what happens if we’re unable to make our schedule," Magliari said.

"Although we’re working to manage both of those, the ones we have the most control of is how we explain, and how we keep up communication with customers," he said. "We’re focused on the second one of those, the one we fully control, while we work on the first one of those, which is largely in the hands of others."
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Re: Hunter Harrison, CSX, and Amtrak OTP

Postby Rockingham Racer » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:13 am

CSX has been ordered to appear at public hearing on the matter in DC on September 12, from what I've read.
Rockingham Racer

Postby mtuandrew » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:42 am

Ironic that it's Wick vs. Hunter yet again, but both at the helm of entirely different roads than before.

Indiana, this is your cue to look into a state-owned or leased route CHI-IND!
mtuandrew

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:38 pm

Hopefully a medical "expert" will try to get EHH to retire,stating he's not "fit" to run CSX! :wink:
Backshophoss

Postby JimBoylan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:16 pm

Is this strictly an Indiana problem, or are Amtrak and commuter trains on CSXT suffering? Pere Marquette, Lake Shore Limited, Florida and Richmond services, Washington, D.C. commuter trains, etc.?
JimBoylan

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:32 pm

Believe this would include all Amtrak ops on CSX,VRE is a VaDOT operation on the ex RF&P Main,but dispatched by CSX
MARC is still running on CSX lines as well,but somewhat split away from CSX personnel wise.
All have to deal with EHH! :(
Backshophoss

Postby mmi16 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:14 pm

May someone turn off the oxygen tank.
Never too old to have a happy childhood!
mmi16

Postby STrRedWolf » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:24 pm

Backshophoss wrote:Believe this would include all Amtrak ops on CSX,VRE is a VaDOT operation on the ex RF&P Main,but dispatched by CSX
MARC is still running on CSX lines as well,but somewhat split away from CSX personnel wise.
All have to deal with EHH! :(

MARC has Bombardier operate the trains on CSX lines. Amtrak lines are by Amtrak personnel. That said, I haven't heard of any major issues on the lines operated on.
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:01 pm

The point IS that CSX still has some control of MARC ops on the former B&O commuter area.
Something that EHH Could change at a heartbeat!
Backshophoss

Postby JimBoylan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:25 pm

The links didn't lead to a national story, but rather to local Lafayete, Indiana news about delays between Chicago, Ill. and Indianapolis, Ind. That's why I wondered if the problems were also affecting passengers trains that use other parts of the CSXT system.
JimBoylan

Postby Tadman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:15 pm

The Lafayette paper has been very vocal about the CSX implosion. Not sure why it bugs them so much, other than a 1x/day passenger train that is running late. Perhaps because the city chips on for the Hoosier.
Tadman

Postby Literalman » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:21 pm

A small correction: VRE gets some state funding but it is not a VDoT operation. It is run by the Northern Virginia Transportation Commission and the Potomac and Rappahannock Transportation Commission.
Steve Dunham
Alexandria, Virginia
www.stevedunham.50megs.com
Literalman

Postby Tadman » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:02 am

I was supposed to ride 92 from ORL to WAS last week. The engine failed just out of MIami (honestly how does that happen) and she was 3 hours down into ORL. I bailed, predicting the delay could only get worse.

14 BLOODY HOURS LATE!!!

I can't deal with that.
Tadman

Postby Alex M » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:53 pm

I have heard it in the past that CSX would love it if Amtrak rerouted the Silver Star so that they can downgrade the S line through the Carolinas. I wonder if Mr. Harrison has added new impetus to this. If Amtrak wishes to keep the current route, it would have to pony up more money, or acquire it as a last resort.
Alex M

Postby mtuandrew » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:03 pm

Alex M wrote:I have heard it in the past that CSX would love it if Amtrak rerouted the Silver Star so that they can downgrade the S line through the Carolinas. I wonder if Mr. Harrison has added new impetus to this. If Amtrak wishes to keep the current route, it would have to pony up more money

$xxx Million

AlexM wrote:or acquire it as a last resort.

$xx Billion.

Likely that AMTK, VA, & NC would dump money into the A-Line SEHSR between Petersburg and Raleigh, and reroute every train off the S-Line except for the Silver Star and perhaps the Auto Train. It'd probably whine about the slower speeds on the S-Line but otherwise accept it as a condition of use.
mtuandrew

Next

Return to Amtrak