2017 Amtrak Autumn Express foliage excursion

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: 2017 Amtrak Autumn Express foliage excursion

Postby michael.klatsky@gmail.com » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:21 am

Noel Weaver wrote:
michael.klatsky@gmail.com wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote:
michael.klatsky@gmail.com wrote:Ill be watching from Teaneck - this should be fun to watch and hopefully a precursor to returning to 4 tracks in NJ.

Four tracks!!, for what, there is not going to be passsenger service here again......
Noel Weaver

In my professional opinion, there is nearly 99% certainty that 50% of the ROW will be used for passenger trains within NJ, between North Bergen and Dumont before 2045.

While the local municipalities are waiting for two new tunnels to NY, they are flooding the West Shore with fast-track zoning variances and allowing high density development - tens of thousands of new apartments at the sites of all the former stations.

CSX hasn't gotten capacity issues between North Bergen and Dumont, where this will be built, although after Gateway is operational.

Here is an image of developments approved in the just the past 12 months:

CSX might not have capacity problems in this area but if they are smart they will not allow the use of their property for any passenger rail of any sort. The state chose to rob the railroads way back when and CSX owns this property. There are adequate N/S rail lines that are not that far from this line and could be used if needed.
Noel Weaver

The state never taxed CSX (it taxed the predecessor RR's), so that is in the past. Why is it smart to not share tracks in NJ, with the enormous ROW - it is one of the highest ridership bus lines in NJ at the moment, and the planned densification of the areas around the stations is deliberately being planned to force NJ Transit to cut a deal with CSX.
Freight Transportation Planning Professional. Visit our initiative: http://www.regionalgoodsmovement.org
michael.klatsky@gmail.com

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:32 am

To Noel's point - make the existing lines more commuter-friendly - even reverse-commuter friendly before making yet another passenger line... (the latter of which would perhaps make me use it.) Funnel them over from this supposed new demand area, it's not that far...

But that said: ahem, let's keep it to the excursion - not potential restoration of future passenger service...which is not an Amtrak thing.
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby NaugyRR » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:38 am

Here's a good question... if I want to ride facing forward on the river side of the train heading north, what side of the train should I sit on when boarding at Penn? I'm thinking I need to sit on the left facing backwards, unless there's another reverse move after Newark.
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Postby Noel Weaver » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:57 pm

NaugyRR wrote:Here's a good question... if I want to ride facing forward on the river side of the train heading north, what side of the train should I sit on when boarding at Penn? I'm thinking I need to sit on the left facing backwards, unless there's another reverse move after Newark.

+
I believe the left side leaving NYP..\ Also if some seats are backward you will be facing forward when it really counts.

Noel Weaver
Last edited by Noel Weaver on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noel Weaver

Postby michael.klatsky@gmail.com » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:11 pm

Noel Weaver wrote:
NaugyRR wrote:Here's a good question... if I want to ride facing forward on the river side of the train heading north, what side of the train should I sit on when boarding at Penn? I'm thinking I need to sit on the left facing backwards, unless there's another reverse move after Newark.

+
I believe the left side leaving NYP..\

Noel Weaver

I agree. The train should reverse in newark and then proceed through South Kearny and then continue North to the Northern Running Branch towards the River Line.
Freight Transportation Planning Professional. Visit our initiative: http://www.regionalgoodsmovement.org
michael.klatsky@gmail.com

Postby mohawkrailfan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:36 am

Tickets are still available for both days! I'm glad because I forgot until today.
Make a little noise at the flag location.
mohawkrailfan

Postby gprimr1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:04 pm

It's a shame they are running it they way they are. With it running north along the western shore; I feel like it's almost always going to be bad lighting for pictures; unless there is a spot where it turns west or loops back south around something.
-Greg Primrose
Moderator: General Discussion: High Speed Rail Amtrak
"I'm leaving on a jet train, don't know when I'll be back again. Bags are packed and there ready to go."
Ave Atque Vale
gprimr1

Postby mohawkrailfan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:10 pm

gprimr1 wrote:It's a shame they are running it they way they are. With it running north along the western shore; I feel like it's almost always going to be bad lighting for pictures; unless there is a spot where it turns west or loops back south around something.

That may be true, but beautiful train rides up the eastern shore of the Hudson are readily available.
Make a little noise at the flag location.
mohawkrailfan

Postby ExCon90 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:23 pm

Not only that, the train is apparently being run for the benefit of people who buy tickets to ride.
ExCon90

Postby Mark_K » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:21 pm

Is this the New Jersey routing for 2017 Autumn Express?

NY Penn to Newark Penn on NE Corridor

Newark Penn down NE Corridor to ex-LV Line

Train reverses then backs onto ex-LV Line

Oak Island Yard

Upper Newark Bay RR bridge

National Docks line/ Jersey City

Long Dock/Bergen Hill Tunnel

Bergen Jct

CSAO Northern Running Track

CSX River Subdivision to Rockland Co/NY State
Mark_K

Postby CentralValleyRail » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:51 am

Still 8+ seats available (8 is max on Amtrak Website) for both days... I don't think this is selling as well because of the price point. While I agree that the routing is one of a kind and a once in a lifetime type of experience the fact that two tickets costs the same as my monthly Mercedes (C350 Coupe) payment is crazy. If I'm on the fence about it and make over 150K a year (which less than 5% of the country makes) have zero kids, how many other people do you think are really on the fence about it? I think quite a few are priced out. I get it Amtrak thinks they can make money on it and they can but they are pricing out families on this trip. What has gone from reasonable at $89 has gone to far and the lack of a sellout 2 weeks in proves that. What one would would spend here is 1/2 of what a 4 day ticket at Disney World costs...

While I definitely will catch the train somewhere in the Teaneck area whether I take the train or not will be a last second choice.
CentralValleyRail

Postby electricron » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:26 am

This ride to see leaves turning colors is an excursion service, it shouldn’t be subsidized by taxpayers. The fares should cover the entire costs to provide this service. Having gotten that off my chest, how much is too much they should charge for this ride through the forests? How many empty seats on the trains should be acceptable? If the trains are half empty, one could make the argument that fares were set too high. If there are no empty seats, one could make an argument that the fares were set too low. I’m sure Amtrak has a goal they’re trying to meet balancing fares with capacity, keeping in mind the cost to provide the service have to be met.
If the costs are too high for your family, may I suggest taking alternatives, like renting a car or taking a bus?
electricron

Postby Mark_K » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:47 pm

Aside from trying to mitigate the possibility of fist fights breaking out, why is Amtrak not
Including their one surviving dome car on this nontaxpsyersubsidized excursion?
Mark_K

Postby chuchubob » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:57 pm

Mark_K wrote:Aside from trying to mitigate the possibility of fist fights breaking out, why is Amtrak not

It doesn't fit in NY Penn Station or in the North River tunnel.
chuchubob

Postby Mark_K » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:10 pm

chuchubob wrote:
Mark_K wrote:Aside from trying to mitigate the possibility of fist fights breaking out, why is Amtrak not

It doesn't fit in NY Penn Station or in the North River tunnel.

It is being used on Amtrak's Adirondack train from NY Penn
to Montreal.
Mark_K

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak