2017 Amtrak Autumn Express foliage excursion

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: 2017 Amtrak Autumn Express foliage excursion

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:21 am

With the trip just under two weeks away, does anyone have any estimates, in terms of what times the train will approach landmarks?
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby blockline4180 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:14 am

Just purchased my ticket for the Sunday run... The Saturday trip showed as sold out.
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."
blockline4180

Postby CentralValleyRail » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:20 am

blockline4180 wrote:Just purchased my ticket for the Sunday run... The Saturday trip showed as sold out.

I just checked and both days are still available. Ethier a cancellation or they opened up another block...
CentralValleyRail

Postby kitn1mcc » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:09 pm

Any one have the radio channel info for the trip
Ui Company Meter Services
kitn1mcc

Postby StLouSteve » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:01 pm

I am also flying in from the Midwest to ride with two nights in a NY hotel. It will be pricey but how many folks can say they rode the West Shore in a passenger train.

A bit of trivia, the Albany Alfred Smith bridge was once regularly used by Amtrak as a wye to access the Boston line for the Lake Shore before the Post Road Line was relaid. This was many years ago.
StLouSteve

Postby scoostraw » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:25 pm

I have done both!
scoostraw

Postby Noel Weaver » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:09 pm

I well remember the Selkirk Bridge (Caselton Bridge in this case), my first trip over it was in 1971 or so on a freight train from Oak Point to Selkirk via Danbury, I was very impresssed but it was not as dramatic as crossing the Poughkeepsie Bridge way back in the 1950's. My one and only trip across the complete bridge on a passenger train was an Mass Bay RRE excursion from Boston to Amsterdam, NY via Selkirk. I was living in New York City at that time and drove up to Pittsfield where I arranged for the RRE train to make a special stop for me to board. I needed the territory from Selkirk to South Schenectady for mileage collecting. Little did I know at that time that in the not too distant future I would be running the territory west ouf of Selkirk all the way to Buffalo but that remains another story for down the road. That Amtrak is able to cover this route is nothing short of amazing to me.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby mohawkrailfan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:41 am

Will anyone on this train NOT be a railroad.net poster?
Make a little noise at the flag location.
mohawkrailfan

Postby scoostraw » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:31 am

Noel Weaver wrote:I was living in New York City at that time and drove up to Pittsfield where I arranged for the RRE train to make a special stop for me to board.
Noel Weaver

This is great !
scoostraw

Postby phoebesnow » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:47 am

This morning shows only 2 tickets left for Saturday and greater than 10 tickets left for Sunday.

I understand that one or more of the anti-rail, anti-crude oil train groups is planning some kind of protest trackside in Dumont - be sure to wave to them from the train!
Purveyors of fine food products from the Golden Age of Railroad Travel
http://www.phoebesnowco.com
phoebesnow

Postby Noel Weaver » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:35 pm

phoebesnow wrote:This morning shows only 2 tickets left for Saturday and greater than 10 tickets left for Sunday.

I understand that one or more of the anti-rail, anti-crude oil train groups is planning some kind of protest trackside in Dumont - be sure to wave to them from the train!

Any sort of a negative response from people in New Jersey would be no surprise to me. Back in the 1970's these people hated the railroad no end and would stop at nothing to harm or its employees. I know, I went through it along with a number of others. Another reason not to like New Jersey.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby Sisko24 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:50 pm

During a portion of one of the previous Autumn Express trips, I had the misfortune to sit next to someone who was one of those anti-train, anti-crude oil by train types. She called herself an environmental advocate, but after listening to her rant about CSX trains and oil trains, the only thing I could surmise from her was that she was only against it because those trains ran next to her two homes, one a townhouse in Philly, the other a country home in Ulster County, NY. I didn't once get the feeling she was genuinely concerned either with the environment or the well-being of other people who potentially could have been affected by any rail mishap. I think if those trains could have been re-routed, she'd have been quite satisfied with that she wouldn't really have cared any longer.

She did not live in New Jersey.
Sisko24

Postby phoebesnow » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:11 am

Saturday's trip is now sold out.
Purveyors of fine food products from the Golden Age of Railroad Travel
http://www.phoebesnowco.com
phoebesnow

Postby Catch A Train » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:01 pm

So coming up north it is taking the CSX river line and back down south on the hudson line?
Catch A Train

Postby Backshophoss » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:22 pm

That's the intended plan!
Backshophoss

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak