2017 Amtrak Autumn Express foliage excursion

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

2017 Amtrak Autumn Express foliage excursion

Postby CarterB » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:25 pm

Anyone know yet if Amtrak is having a fall/foliage excursion this year? If so when and to/from where?
Thanks
Bring back the Slumbercoaches!!
CarterB

Re: Amtrak 2017 fall/autumn foliage excursion

Postby Noel Weaver » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:13 pm

Scuttlebutt is weekend of October 14 and 15, NYP to Newark to former LV NK Tower, change ends former New York Central West Shore to Selkirk to return via Hudson. It will be an all day experience and comes with a very high recommendation.
That EHH would allow this to happen comes to me as a somewhat surprise. If this proves to be incorrect, please don't shoot the messenger.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby gprimr1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:58 pm

I'm not familiar with that route. Looks like it's going up the west shore of the Hudson river, and coming back down the East. That is one thing I like to see in the Autumn Express, using high-speed trackage when possible for the return home.

I was really hoping they'd do something more Mid-Atlantic this year though. They did Baltimore, Philadelphia, Massachusetts, and then New York. I'd like to see them some back to Maryland.

It would be a project, but I'd like to see a trip that begins in DC, goes up through the various yards in south Baltimore to get from the Camden Sub to the Hanover Sub, then goes out over the Hanover Sub, makes its way out into the country of Western Maryland/Southern PA, and then comes back down the Met. Sub back home.
-Greg Primrose
Moderator: General Discussion: High Speed Rail Amtrak
"I'm leaving on a jet train, don't know when I'll be back again. Bags are packed and there ready to go."
Ave Atque Vale
gprimr1

Postby Backshophoss » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:07 am

The West Shore was a former NYC line from Weehawken Nj to Selkirk/Albany NY.
Possible access from Hunter tower/NJT Raitan Valley line,reverse onto CASO (PRR)freight line thru CASO Meadows yard.
After crossing the Passic River on Hack Bridge,at CP Marion enter the CSX West Shore mainline to North Bergen yard,at northern Jct,
enter the original NYC West Shore Mainline to Selkirk/Albany.
At CPSK, east on the B&A to CPSM,then south to the Hudson line at CP125,for the return run to NY Penn.
Backshophoss

Postby JimBoylan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:47 am

Noel, EHH needs to cover the increased dividend and his Golden Parachute. If service-sensitive freight is leaving, the money has to come from somewhere else. Of course, he needs a lot more than just this 1 trip.
JimBoylan

Postby Greg Moore » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:08 am

Wow, another tempting route. I will have to consider.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby ExCon90 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:10 pm

Don't leave it too long--this one's going to sell out fast. (As Jane Ace used to say, "don't miss it if you can.")
ExCon90

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:22 pm

gprimr1 wrote:That is one thing I like to see in the Autumn Express, using high-speed trackage when possible for the return home.

"On the mark" Mr. Primrose; while I no longer go on fan trips, I can recall one when I did. This was a 1970 SRY/GA Charleston to Atlanta with SRY 4501 "unassisted; on the head".

Predictably, "everything went wrong". The schedule? What's that! By the time it got to Augusta, it was hours late - and I had a flight back to here (and work next morning).

I think the consensus, or at least it was mine, "get rid of that teakettle (4501 was a Branch Line freight engine) and let's get home". The GA GP-9's "had the railroad", a stop was arranged at Stone Mountain and taxicabs called as there were several others who had to make flights.

Mine was 10PM; the taxicab pulled into Hartsfield 945P. I made the flight - no security back in those days (and KATL half its present size); just "move it".
Gilbert B Norman

Postby CarterB » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:11 pm

Noel Weaver wrote:Scuttlebutt is weekend of October 14 and 15, NYP to Newark to former LV NK Tower, change ends former New York Central West Shore to Selkirk ...

Route from NK to the West Shore?
CarterB

Postby Return to Reading Company Olney Sta » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:22 pm

Last year's AXP took the "fast route home", returning to NYP from Rockville via the Keystone route and NEC. That may well have been in response to suggestions from passengers on the earlier trips, as the long ride back was a common point heard on earlier trips.

They also moved the last 2 trips up prior to the fall time change; on the first couple years not only was the trip back getting tedious but much of it in the dark as well.
Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

Postby Noel Weaver » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:27 pm

I believe it will be NK, Oak Island, Upper Bay, National Docks, former Erie tunnel, Croxton anf continue to North Bergin. This involves the elevated trackage through Jersey City which is an interesting route. This trip sounds like a real winner and I 'll bet it sells out fast. There is a lot of rare mileage on this one.iu
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby hazmatmess » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:56 pm

If this is true, this is going to be a HUGE surprise for my son. Last year, we watched it go by at Bound Brook and I surprised him the next day by taking him on it. This year will be the same. Two years in a row on ROWs where we watch the trains go by. He has been asking if we were going on the Autumnal Express again.....
hazmatmess

Postby CarterB » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:33 am

Anyone who gets a early "head's up" on trip details and when we can buy tickets....please post here!!

Thanks!!
CarterB

RUMOR Amtrak 2017 fall/autumn foliage excursion

Postby JimBoylan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:55 pm

WARNING: This is only a rumor, I found it here:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TCA_members_group/conversations/messages/83674
WJC may be West Jersey Chapter:

WJC E-Gram - Amtrak 2017 Fall Foliage Special: West Shore Trip

I have just learned from a friend at Amtrak that a fall foliage special will be operated over the West Shore RR on two days in October.

The trips will operate on Oct. 14 and 15. The trains will leave NYP at 8 am and NWK at 8:30. They will proceed to the LV at NK, change ends, thence thru Oak Island, over Upper Bay, over the National Docks Branch, thru the Erie Bergen tunnels and up the River Line [West Shore] to CP SK outside Selkirk. There the train will change ends and return over the high Castleton Bridge and down the Hudson Line to Penn Station with a possible photo stop at Rhinecliff. Return to NYP should be about 6 pm.

This has not yet been announced but will be shortly. Tickets are programmed to go on sale about Sept. 12.

Once the tickets go on sale they probably will sell out in a few days as all the mileage collectors will come from far and wide.
JimBoylan

Postby kitn1mcc » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:03 pm

Nice run.Would be nice if they would stop to discharge those who wanted on the hundson line to get on the MN into GCT
Ui Company Meter Services
kitn1mcc

Next

Return to Amtrak