GCT to NYP - Act of Congress?

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: GCT to NYP - Act of Congress?

Postby MACTRAXX » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:39 pm

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Transferring between NYP and NYG seems harder than say, BON to BOS/BBY, as there is no one-seat subway line between the two. The shuttle only goes to Times Square, then walk over and change to the IRT 1/2/3 (West Side Subway).

R36 and Everyone:

Back from sometime in the mid/late 80s until Amtrak moved out of NYG in 1991 there was a
contracted shuttle bus that was operated by the long defunct Metro Apple Express Co. that ran
between GCT and Penn Station primarily for connecting ticket holders. Does anyone recall
this service and if so remembers riding this bus between NYP and NYG?

Metro Apple Express ran a number of express bus routes from southern Brooklyn to Manhattan
(BM-10,11,13,15) and was one of the private bus companies under contract to NYC DOT.

I have used this bus, the mentioned NYC Subway connection and NYC Taxi to travel between
stations in Manhattan in the past and remember how hard it can be to connect between the
two and agree that the change for all Amtrak service to serve NYP made it much easier...

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby StLouSteve » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:40 am

Seems to me that if Metronorth were to start running some Hudson service to Penn down thru the Empire Connection, Amtrak could put some Alb runs back to GCT. Passengers could choose which station they preferred by same platform change at Croton rather than the two subway ride across Manhattan or that Amtrak van that used to connect the two stations.
StLouSteve

Postby mtuandrew » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:55 am

Guys. Your plans to get Amtrak back at GCT are the equivalent of parents telling their kid, "I'm glad you own a house! But, maybe you could stay here a night a week...? We're closer to your old friends, and look! your bedroom looks just like it did when you were ten."
mtuandrew

Postby Noel Weaver » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:14 am

mtuandrew wrote:Guys. Your plans to get Amtrak back at GCT are the equivalent of parents telling their kid, "I'm glad you own a house! But, maybe you could stay here a night a week...? We're closer to your old friends, and look! your bedroom looks just like it did when you were ten."

I think it is more like we are so sorry about your fire, you can stay with us while you repair and rebuild. ((But after that it is time to go back to your own home)).
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby Greg Moore » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:50 am

mtuandrew wrote:Guys. Your plans to get Amtrak back at GCT are the equivalent of parents telling their kid, "I'm glad you own a house! But, maybe you could stay here a night a week...? We're closer to your old friends, and look! your bedroom looks just like it did when you were ten."

I wish I could upvote this.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby east point » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:34 pm

Amtrak IMO cannot do this on its own. Now if NY State will belly up to the plate, buy the additional locos and cars needed, pay for additional service then local traffic to GCT could begin with same service to NYP. What would be interesting is if any of the Amtrak passengers to GCT are connecting to MNRR trains out of GCT.
east point

Postby Greg Moore » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:39 pm

I can't see MNRR wanting to do this, in part because again you're facing the issue with over-running/under-running shoes and mixing Metro-North's equipment.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Previous

Return to Amtrak