Fares: Changing departure rules....

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Fares: Changing departure rules....

Postby farecard » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:25 pm

So I'm planning a trip BOS->WAS. The minor complication is I don't know exactly when. See, the previous leg will be by sailboat.....

So I see inexpensive fares 2 weeks out on the 67; it arrives after WMATA wakes up so that's OK. [0130 is NOT..]
But I suspect if I need to delay, that fare vanishes [X] days out and I'm stuck with one at 2X the cost.
If true, what is [X]?

{Plan B is to buy multiple tickets on D Day, D Day+1, etc. If I cancel in time {? hour before?} how long is the credit good on a new trip?}

Suggestions?
farecard

Re: Fares: Changing departure rules....

Postby andrewjw » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:22 pm

I'm not sure X is constant, in my experience it's seemed to have a demand-driven component as well. All purchases can be canceled to eVouchers, which expire after one year. Depending on your purchase, you may also be eligible for a full or partial cash refund:

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245659911
andrewjw

Postby farecard » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:02 pm

Thanks, credits are fine with me. I'm better off doing that than risking 2-3X the fare...
farecard

Postby jamesinclair » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:34 pm

Tickets are in different buckets. Once the cheap bucket (ie, 49) sells out, tickets are sold at the next bucket (ie, 69)

I would lock in the cheap bucket now. If your plans change, you will pay the difference between your price (ie, 49) and the price of whatever the current bucket is.

Note, sometimes you get lucky. In your case, you would be setting a 49$ ticket off into the wild, available for anyone to buy. If someone does the same, you might be able to grab the same price.
jamesinclair

Return to Amtrak