Amtrak Shooting.Incident Naperville IL

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Amtrak Shooting.Incident Naperville IL

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Tue May 16, 2017 5:49 pm

https://www.wgntv.com/2017/05/16/metra- ... estigation

Details are of course very sketchy, but local news outlets reported about 15 min ago, that an Amtrak "Conductor" was shot on board a train.

It appears the incident occurred on #4 (14)
Gilbert B Norman

Re: Amtrak Shooting.Incident Naperville IL

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Tue May 16, 2017 6:09 pm

If assaulting an Amtrak employee isn't a Federal violation under Title 18, USC yet, this should bring up the issue. NJT employees are protected by NJ law, NYCT/MTA/LIRR/MNCR personnel likewise under NY State Laws.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Tue May 16, 2017 8:11 pm

Here is a later report regarding the incident;

https://www.google.com/amp/chicago.cbsl ... olice/amp/
Gilbert B Norman

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Wed May 17, 2017 8:07 am

Likely, the last from recognized media regarding this incident:

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/2017051 ... ra-station

Fair Use:

Naperville police have arrested a suspect in the shooting of a 45-year-old Amtrak conductor late Tuesday afternoon, and authorities say passengers may have saved lives by detaining the gunman.

The conductor, from South suburban Homewood, was taken to Edward Hospital in Naperville with injuries that are not life-threatening, officials said.

Daily Herald is a Suburban paper that is regarded as "recognized". Remaining unreported is what position the Amtrak on-board employee actually held, and "out the window" is certainly lacking explanation.

All told; stand by for metal detectors at stations and/or "stop and frisks" on board.

But violent crime has been considered off limits aboard Amtrak LD trains, and with an unsolved murder occurring in Hinsdale - adjacent to and even more affluent than is Clarendon Hills - where are you safe nowadays?
Gilbert B Norman

Postby JoeBas » Wed May 17, 2017 9:15 am

Gilbert B Norman wrote:All told; stand by for metal detectors at stations and/or "stop and frisks" on board.

Greeeeaaaaattttt... was just about to bite the $1k bullet and switch my CHI-WAS and PHL-CHI legs of my upcoming trip from Southwest Airlines to Amtrak to avoid the impending cluster#@%^ coming in the airports when this electronics ban hits. Glad I didn't, to just then run into the impending cluster#@%^ of trying to implement airline-style security on trains, particularly at major terminals.

People who don't fret about these more-rare-than-winning-powerball incidents when traveling are quickly running out of options thanks to people trying to bubble-wrap life...
JoeBas

Postby ThirdRail7 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:41 am

Hopefully, he will have a speedy recovery as the Monday morning quarterbacking begins:

Please allow a brief "fair use" quote:

Gina, whose last name NBC 5 is not using for privacy concerns, says she was waiting for a train to Chicago when she witnessed the shooting. But she questions how the seconds following the shooting were handled.

“There were those who were already in the train station that had no idea the shooting even occurred,” she said.

There were no announcements, according to witnesses. Gina says she guided some people to the building for shelter.

“My goal is not to get anybody in trouble but to, my goal is just to, for an emergency situation like that to have some sort of procedure for people to feel safe,” she said.

Source: Naperville Train Station Shooting Raises Questions About Safety Procedures | NBC Chicago http://www.nbcchicago.com/investigation ... z4hV5BR8Na
Follow us: @nbcchicago on Twitter | nbcchicago on Facebook

There is a transcript of the initial report event floating around.
I want my road foreman!
ThirdRail7

Postby JoeBas » Fri May 19, 2017 9:17 am

So lemme get this straight.

Some people didn't know that something had happened, so they should have been told... so that they could feel safe.

Wouldn't/didn't they just feel safer being "blissfully ignorant" of a situation that "A: Was under control before any notification COULD be given", and "B: Didn't involve them in the first place?".
JoeBas

Postby ThirdRail7 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:04 pm

JoeBas wrote:So lemme get this straight.

Some people didn't know that something had happened, so they should have been told... so that they could feel safe.

Wouldn't/didn't they just feel safer being "blissfully ignorant" of a situation that "A: Was under control before any notification COULD be given", and "B: Didn't involve them in the first place?".

That's the way I'm taking it.

Maybe they felt cheated out of their reason to cause a stampede. :wink:
I want my road foreman!
ThirdRail7

Postby JoeBas » Fri May 19, 2017 1:19 pm

I suppose, maybe, possibly, this person saw the conductor down, and with no official information forthcoming, immediately assumed that some scary brown people who are out to kill us all were stalking the train with night vision glasses waiting for unsuspecting folk to step off the train so they could be sniped?
JoeBas

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Fri May 19, 2017 5:33 pm

Considerably more information has been made available today regarding the incident:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/n ... story.html

Fair Use:

Edward Klein, 79, of West Allis, Wis., appeared in DuPage County bond court Friday morning, charged in Tuesday's train station shooting in which the conductor, a 45-year-old man from Homewood, was seriously injured.

Prosecutors said Klein was returning from an aborted trip to Las Vegas and was planning on catching a train in Chicago for Milwaukee, but he tried to leave the train at a scheduled stop in Naperville.

Klein faces attempted murder and aggravated battery charges. He was ordered held in lieu of $1.5 million bail.

Prosecutors said Klein had headed for Las Vegas by train on Monday because he was unhappy with his situation at an independent living facility in West Allis, a suburb of Milwaukee. But he changed his mind and got off the westbound train in Kansas City, planning to catch an eastbound train back home.

He caused a disturbance because the Chicago-bound train was late into Kansas City, and passengers reported he displayed "disturbing behavior" during the trip back to Chicago, prosecutors said...Amtrak personnel prevented Klein from getting off in Naperville because it wasn't the right stop, and the doors were shut to keep him in the train. But he became enraged and drew a .38-caliber Smith & Wesson revolver before leaning out a window and shooting the conductor, who was on the platform, once in the torso, prosecutors said.

A further observation; it would appear that Mr
Klein was traveling Sleeper as videos taken show the train's head end taped off as the crime scene.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby ryanch » Sat May 20, 2017 8:48 am

Hmm. Sounds like Mr. Klein will now spend some time in a less 'independent' living facility.

I don't see any reports that Amtrak is changing security procedures in the wake of this. What prompt the hand-wringing of the posts above about how this will cause dramatic new security procedures?

It's also worth pointing out that nothing about "nowadays" is less safe than any time during which virtually any of us were adults. The last time murder rates were this low was in the 50's.
ryanch

Postby mtuandrew » Sat May 20, 2017 9:08 am

This speaks volumes about gun policy, security and law enforcement policy, and mental health policy in the United States - but this isn't "civilliberties.net" or "mentalhealth.net".

Wishes for the conductor's speedy recovery.
mtuandrew

Postby JoeBas » Mon May 22, 2017 8:47 am

ryanch wrote:I don't see any reports that Amtrak is changing security procedures in the wake of this. What prompt the hand-wringing of the posts above about how this will cause dramatic new security procedures?

Because the SIC rarely lets a good bad event go to waste?

Maybe we'll fly under the radar (no pun intended) because all the focus is on the scawy scawy people with Kindles and iPads right now. ;)
JoeBas

Postby BandA » Tue May 23, 2017 2:10 am

Usually the perps are younger than 79
BandA

"Cautious Optimism"

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Wed May 31, 2017 6:08 pm

There appears to be "cautious optimism" regarding Conductor Michael Case:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyh ... 170539737/

Fair Use:

...Fifteen days after he was shot May 16 in Naperville, Amtrak conductor Michael Case was wheeled into his second of at least four surgeries he's expected to undergo at Edward Hospital.

The 45-year-old Homewood man is in critical but stable condition and capable of making a full recovery from the bullet that struck him in a critical area of the abdomen where fluids from the stomach, liver and pancreas converge, one of his doctors said Wednesday?
Gilbert B Norman

Next

Return to Amtrak