Amtrak Front Range Route?

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Amtrak Front Range Route?

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:32 pm

Gray Lady reports that any Front Range passenger service initiative just might have some competition:

http://nytimes.com/2017/09/14/technolog ... orado.html

Fair Use:

Hyperloop One, an experimental transportation company that proposes to carry people at speeds of up to 700 miles per hour inside a system of tubes, announced its first partnership with a state government on Thursday.

The company and the Colorado Department of Transportation said they had agreed to study the feasibility of a 360-mile route that would connect Denver with Pueblo to the south and Cheyenne, Wyo., to the north.

But the joint study will be just the first step in what would be a long process before any of the 4.8 million Colorado residents such a system could serve would see it in action.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby Greg Moore » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:04 pm

There's one part right about the name... HYPE.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Hyperloop is a great idea whose time hasn't come in the last century and probably not the next.
I'm a fan of many of Musk's ideas, but this one I think won't make it.

And note how much time and effort Musk has actually put into Hyperloop, compared to say... a certain CAR company.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby mtuandrew » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:18 pm

There's more discussion on Hyperloop in General Discussion: Passenger Rail here: viewtopic.php?f=137&t=165758
mtuandrew

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:58 pm

Musk isn't involved in Hyperloop One at all, he just put the idea out there (and it isn't even an idea he came up with, he just fleshed out the concept a bit more). Hyperloop One does have a functional prototype, so I wouldn't rule it out yet.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Previous

Return to Amtrak