Sunset Limited East/City of New Orleans Ext/Mobile Service

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: City of New Orleans CoNO Extension/Sunset Limited (East)

Postby mtuandrew » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:00 pm

I'd be fine with temporarily extending the City of New Orleans to Florida, but it isn't a permanent solution to either the Gulf Coast Sunset East problem or the CHI-Florida train problem. Like Tad says, it's currently a one-railroad one-overnight train that works well, and adding a second carrier will probably make timekeeping suffer. I'd rather see a standalone San Antonio (or Fort Worth) - Orlando or New Orleans - Miami train along the coast, both of which would be comfortably over the LD limit of 750 miles, and a Chicago - Florida train that passes through the Appalachians or its foothills.

If I thought they could all work well together, I'd suggest CHI - (CN) - MEM - (BNSF) - BHM - (NS) - JAX - (FEC) - MIA in lieu of CHI - (CSX) - MIA.
mtuandrew

Postby R&DB » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:26 am

mtuandrew wrote:
If I thought they could all work well together, I'd suggest CHI - (CN) - MEM - (BNSF) - BHM - (NS) - JAX - (FEC) - MIA in lieu of CHI - (CSX) - MIA.

I think a better routing would be via Louisville - Nashville - Chattanooga - Atlanta - Jacksonville - Orlando - Miami. More potential traffic. This might also gain some New Orleans to Florida traffic with a change at Atlanta. Basically the old Floridian Route except through Atlanta instead of Birmingham.
Harry
R&DB

Postby railgeekteen » Tue May 01, 2018 11:10 am

So when is the target completion date for this?
railgeekteen

Postby Tadman » Tue May 01, 2018 8:20 pm

Given (a) the current political climate; (b) current Amtrak brass policy; (c) the quality of the idea, probably never. This is an unpopular answer to a question nobody asked.
Tadman

Re: Sunset Limited East/City of New Orleans Ext/Mobile Servi

Postby Jeff Smith » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:03 pm

Update: AL.com

'We need governor's signature': Amtrak's restart in Mobile in Ivey's hands as deadline looms

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey must decide by Wednesday whether the state will make a $5.3 million commitment over three years to bring Amtrak service back to Mobile, connecting the city with New Orleans.

Rail advocates who are pushing for the return of Gulf Coast passenger rail say that Ivey has yet to meet with them and frustrations are mounting.

Said Jerry Gehman, the governor's designee to the 21-member Southern Rail Commission: "On Thursday, this project is dead for Alabama. She's the only one who can do this. Not her chief of staff or the Legislature. We need the governor's signature."

The restarted route would include two Amtrak trains running daily from New Orleans to Mobile with stops in Mississippi towns - Bay St. Louis, Gulfport, Biloxi and Pascagoula.

Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Amtrak