AEM-7 status

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: AEM-7 status

Postby ApproachMedium » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:24 pm

NorthWest wrote:There was a rumor that someone was looking at the NJT ALP-44s a few years back as well, but they're still sitting there.

The AEM-7s have at least some compatibility with the later Rcs, but how much will mean a lot in terms of parts supplies, particularly with the rebuilds. A lot also depends on the availability of used power suited to Nordic conditions in Europe- I can't think of anything that is relatively modern and useful. Probably time for someone to design a new unit that is actually suitable for Nordic conditions... (We'll see on the Vectrons...)

No rumor, they wanted the entire fleet. problem was a bunch were still tied up in lease agreements and they could only sell the O class, 4400-4413. The group wanted all 32 units. Now with amtraks available, chances to collect them all at once are much higher since amtraks are all coming off lease.
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Postby amtrakhogger » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:08 pm

Saw KP job going south at Yard on #2 track with about 5 AEM7ac's in tow today enroute to
Bear for storage. I didn't get all the numbers, but the 927 and 946 were among the units.
"I will stop at St. Avold."
amtrakhogger

Postby ApproachMedium » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:47 pm

Doubt they are going for storage, they are probably going for scrap.
ApproachMedium

Postby amtrakhogger » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:31 pm

Just speculation, Wilmington shops has been a little full with stored motors.
amtrakhogger

Postby ApproachMedium » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:16 am

They have been storing them back by the old engine terminal which is out of the way and not bothering anybody. So for them to pay a crew to take them down there most likely its the end. They were supposed to go a few months ago.
ApproachMedium

Postby 8th Notch » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:28 pm

Have they actually been scrapping them? I haven't noticed anymore part sales on eBay :P
8th Notch

Postby ApproachMedium » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:33 pm

Three AC units were scrapped very quietly. Only one part off of one of them has been sold on ebay so far, that we know of.
ApproachMedium

Postby liftedjeep » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:27 pm

Out of curiosity, is it frowned upon to sell scrapped locomotive parts, whether it be on ebay or some other venue? Is there not much that can be done about parts "making their way" out of the scrapper and up for sale?
Ben
Check out my photo collection! : http://bkranefeld.rrpicturearchives.net
liftedjeep

Postby ApproachMedium » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:49 pm

No not really, the scrapper may sell stuff they have salvaged themselves or people that received items from the scrapper. Cresson steel was at the Springfield show selling salvaged NS parts. Sellers beware, its best to gain some kind of bill of sale/paper receipt from said scrapper that you were given/purchased parts from locomotives if you plan to resell on ebay. Railroads do have internet depts that monitor these pages and will take legal action against you if they find you are selling illegally aquired railroad items, like horns, bells etc.

There have been parts stolen off of the stored units that are being sold via the horn whistle board that I have seen and THAT is frowned upon. The person is def trespassing to steal the items and if they happen to be an employee, well the bank owns the locomotives so they are stealing from a massive financial firm that owns the machines not so much amtrak. They would also have to be unsafely climbing to the roofs of locomotives without fall protection, without proper Class C employee training ( I believe there is catenary nearby.), without proper PPE most likely too. I have no idea if they were caught by Amtrak PD yet as I haven't checked or seen anything moving in a while. Possibly because its either all gone or something happened.
ApproachMedium

Postby liftedjeep » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:57 pm

While in Delaware this afternoon, I hiked into the woods behind the Amtrak car shops in Bear. From the raised embankment, and through the trees and overgrowth I could see one of the two deadlines of AEM-7s that are currently stored there. There is a line of flatcars loaded with concrete ties obstructing the closer of the two deadlines, which makes it that much more difficult to get any kind of a decent picture.....(probably why the loaded flatcars were put there). I could also see the mothballed Turboliners and F40PHRs. I did not see any of the HHP-8s. Of the AEM-7s that are there, I positively identified 10 of the them (#'s 927, 923, 948, 925, 946, 952, 943, 921, 940, 939).

Here are four of my "better" pictures of some of the AEM-7s awaiting an unknown fate. These shots were taken legally and from public land....which explains why they are so cluttered with obstructions.

-#925:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4685305

-#927:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4685309

-#946:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4685307

-#948:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4685306

Ben
liftedjeep

Postby ApproachMedium » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:16 am

The other row should be all of the DC aem-7s. All of the HHP-8s are at the wilmington shops now it seems. Why I do not know. I do know they were taking them there one at a time to maintain the 92 day inspections. Hopefully its because the lease is up or something and they are getting rid of them.
ApproachMedium

Postby amtrakhogger » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:35 am

The 928 and 942 were still hanging out at Wilmington last week and were spotted
with pans raised and presumably fired up.
amtrakhogger

Postby liftedjeep » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:43 pm

The AEM-7s were parked right where the HHP-8s had been.
Do the equipment moves to and from Wilmington and Bear generally take place overnight? I can't say I've ever heard of or seen any pictures of those moves.

And "amtrakhogger", If we stop at St. Avold, we'll get our heads blown off!

Ben
Last edited by liftedjeep on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liftedjeep

Postby ApproachMedium » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:49 pm

They happen during the day usually.
ApproachMedium

Postby amtrakhogger » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:30 pm

I was working 2170 on Wednesday when I spotted the move around 4:15pm, so seeing a move
like that is possible in daylight.

P.S. "A chance to broaden your horizons."
amtrakhogger

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak