Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulled

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulle

Postby dgvrengineer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:13 pm

Looks like train 171 is dead in the water at Bealton, VA tonight (10/16).
Just heard on another site, they hit a car with a fatality. Cresent #19 also stopped now at same location.
dgvrengineer

Postby STrRedWolf » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:11 pm

dgvrengineer wrote:Looks like train 171 is dead in the water at Bealton, VA tonight (10/16).
Just heard on another site, they hit a car with a fatality. Cresent #19 also stopped now at same location.

Cresent just arrived in Charlottesville, probably to offload some passengers rescued from 171 and try to reaccomidate. 171 will be dead for another six hours until the tracks are cleared and inspected.
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Postby shlustig » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:13 am

Does anybody know what happened to #50 (17th) estbound Cardinal; shows 3' 30" late departing CIN and nothing after that.
shlustig

Postby quincunx » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:48 pm

WAND- Suspicious man causes Amtrak train to be evacuated

LINCOLN, Ill (WAND) - The Lincoln fire department says all is clear after an Amtrak train was evacuated near Lincoln Friday morning when a suspicious package was found on the train. Authorities say a bomb sniffing dog did not find any explosives.

http://www.wandtv.com/story/36644462/po ... in-lincoln
quincunx

Postby Backshophoss » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:23 pm

Lincoln service Train # 302 was the train involved,4 other Amtrak trains were effected by the "bomb scare" on train 302. :(
Backshophoss

Postby SouthernRailway » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:32 pm

Does anyone know the exact reasons why the northbound Crescent's on-time performance north of Atlanta is pretty bad? I have a trip coming up on it and didn't realize, when I booked the ticket, that the train is rarely on time, and often has huge delays. Is it due to freight congestion? If so, I see that in 2016, it was on time to the minute on and around Christmas Day; are there fewer freight trains running then, and so the Crescent would more likely be on time?

Thanks.
SouthernRailway

Postby east point » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:47 am

Crescent delays come from various congestion problems Meridian - ATL. Too much traffic on NS and CSX often delays Crescent just west of ATL station. NS needs more 2 MT sections MEI - BHM.
east point

Postby STrRedWolf » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:35 pm

Lots of southbound trains coming in hours late to Baltimore. Carolinian and Piedmont at least.
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Postby mmi16 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:50 pm

SouthernRailway wrote:Does anyone know the exact reasons why the northbound Crescent's on-time performance north of Atlanta is pretty bad? I have a trip coming up on it and didn't realize, when I booked the ticket, that the train is rarely on time, and often has huge delays. Is it due to freight congestion? If so, I see that in 2016, it was on time to the minute on and around Christmas Day; are there fewer freight trains running then, and so the Crescent would more likely be on time?

Thanks.

Christmas Day and Thanksgiving Day - Amtrak is normally about the only trains running on the freight railroads.
Never too old to have a happy childhood!
mmi16

Postby SouthernRailway » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:48 pm

mmi16 wrote:
SouthernRailway wrote:Does anyone know the exact reasons why the northbound Crescent's on-time performance north of Atlanta is pretty bad? I have a trip coming up on it and didn't realize, when I booked the ticket, that the train is rarely on time, and often has huge delays. Is it due to freight congestion? If so, I see that in 2016, it was on time to the minute on and around Christmas Day; are there fewer freight trains running then, and so the Crescent would more likely be on time?

Thanks.

Christmas Day and Thanksgiving Day - Amtrak is normally about the only trains running on the freight railroads.

Thanks; very helpful. Can I assume that on Christmas Eve, there wouldn't be much of any freight traffic, either?

I have been checking the northbound Crescent's performance from Atlanta through the Carolinas and it is consistently a few hours late. At least it's consistent, but I don't see how or why anyone between Atlanta and Virginia would bother; who wants to have to wait for a train, unexpectedly, from 11pm until 3am, for example?
SouthernRailway

Postby shlustig » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:59 am

Does anybody know why:

Northbound #58 (31st) City of New Orleans lost 6' 10" from MEM to Newbern (was 9'48" late into CHI); and

Westbound #311 on KCY Corridor lost 3' STL to Kirkwood?
shlustig

Postby shlustig » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:10 am

Does anybody know why #304 (4th) on the eastbound STL Corridor lost 2' 30" from STL to Alton; train was 3' 10" late into CHI.
shlustig

Postby shlustig » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:51 am

Does anybody know why #355 (5th) westbound wolverine on the dET Corridor Dp. Pontiac 1' 25" late?
shlustig

Postby ohioriverrailway » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:10 pm

#30 (5) lost 4 hours PGH-COV. Weather related?
Rick H.
ohioriverrailway

Postby STrRedWolf » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:36 pm

WTH? 98 Silver from Miami was 20 Minutes *EARLY* this morning and interfered with MARC service around Odenton. What is going on over at CTEC?!?
STrRedWolf

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak