All things Pennsylvanian AND Keystone West

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: All things Pennsylvanian AND Keystone West

Postby jp1822 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:00 pm

gp80mac wrote:I doubt you'd be able to run your proposed CM* train. During the night, a lot of maintenance work happens along the Keystone line east of Harrisburg. Plus there's a couple of NS locals that have to serve the industries along that stretch. There's not that large of a night window currently - so trying to run a passenger train in the middle of it is probably not going to happen.

Thus, run CM* on 640's schedule east of Harrisburg. Whether or not Amtrak would release a precious Viewliner from its "reserve" stock for such a service and whether Pennsylvania would pay for a money losing sleeper (per Amtrak), that remains the bigger question. However, I think most would be surprised at how many business folks would actually book a sleeper space for travel between Harrisburg and NYP just to get some early work done or just sleep! The Three Rivers had folks booking space in sleeper when coach seats were not available!!!
jp1822

Postby ohioriverrailway » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:02 pm

#43 (30) sat in Harrisburg for 2 hours today. No motive power??
Rick H.
ohioriverrailway

Postby STrRedWolf » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:07 pm

More likely no staff to hand off to. Harrisburg switches personnel (save for the kitchen staff, which switches in Philadelphia).
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Postby SouthernRailway » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:21 pm

I have a trip on the Pennsylvanian coming up, but only on the Northeast Corridor segment of the route.

If the train has Amfleet IIs, can I sit in one of them even though my trip is only for a short distance? Or is this like the Palmetto, in which NEC-only passengers are herded into Amfleet Is?

Thanks.
SouthernRailway

Postby Amtrak7 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:41 pm

Eastbound passengers boarding west of HAR are given a car assignment. Those boarding at HAR and points east are allowed to take any available seat.

Westbound there are no car assignments at any point, as far as I (always an end to end passenger) could tell.
Amtrak7

Postby STrRedWolf » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:14 pm

Westbound at 30th Street PHL, you had a pick -- everyone was lined up. Eastbound at PGH, you're directed to a car depending on where you were going and what class you were.
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Postby SouthernRailway » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Thanks for the replies, which were correct. I boarded at NYP and picked an Amfleet II, which was very comfortable.
SouthernRailway

Previous

Return to Amtrak