Northeast Regional 188 - Accident In Philadelphia

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Northeast Regional 188 - Accident In Philadelphia

Postby justalurker66 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:59 am

The PRR was not initially kind to Engineer Fitzsimmons. They blamed the accident on him. It was only after later investigations that the blame was shifted to PRR for their then common practice of ignoring their own rules requiring yellow lamps in areas with slow orders. Wet rails and an overcrowded train did not help the situation. The prosecutor went after PRR with charges of manslaughter but the charges were dropped due to the cost of prosecution. The county could not afford to prosecute the PRR.

It was good to see the PRR accept some responsibility and take care of Mr Fitzsimmons ... despite initially trying to put 100% of the blame on him.

The shoofly was put into use only hours before the incident. Compared to a permanent speed restriction that was in place before the engineer was hired (dare say before he was born?) ... I'd say that was another big difference.
justalurker66

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:34 am

Unlikely, but might anyone know what Mr. Bostian's present status is with Amtrak?

Resigned; Held From Service; appealing discipline assessed?

Likely the only thing known is if he resigned. Know so first hand from when I was in Labor Relations: employee discipline matters are sealed.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby ExCon90 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:20 pm

The papers in the Philadelphia area have been saying "unpaid leave of absence;" whether that has any official meaning or was some reporter's phraseology I don't know.
ExCon90

Postby justalurker66 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Somewhere in the previous 94 pages (or perhaps on another thread) I recall someone posting that he was on medical leave. The statement being made that when he returned from medical leave he would face Amtrak's judgement.
justalurker66

Postby mmi16 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:50 am

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Unlikely, but might anyone know what Mr. Bostian's present status is with Amtrak?

Resigned; Held From Service; appealing discipline assessed?

Likely the only thing known is if he resigned. Know so first hand from when I was in Labor Relations: employee discipline matters are sealed.

I would suspect, due to contractual obligations in the Amtrak Engineers agreement, that company disciplinary hearing has already been conducted. There are time limits on when charges have to be filed and the hearing held as well as imposition of discipline after the hearing. The company has no obligation to make any of this process public.
Never too old to have a happy childhood!
mmi16

Postby 8th Notch » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:55 pm

Regardless of what his status is, he will not be running any trains for Amtrak again. The only people that know the answers are not at liberty to discuss and probably wont't.
8th Notch

Postby Tadman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:28 am

Gilbert B Norman wrote:"Blood from a turnip", Mr. Backshop.

The only job he will ever get is flipping 'em at MickeyD.

I agree with the first comment - what can you get from a guy that's lost everything? It's not like he has $10m in microsoft stock that can be sold to cover any civil suits.

As for future employment, I think the McD comment is a bit over the top. There are plenty of good jobs for people willing to work hard. It won't be in transportation, but you could sell cars, be a skilled tradesman (IE welder, boilermaker, ironworker), other construction-related work, go into web design (if you have a mind for it, there is always money to be made there). Let's put some good vibes toward this guy have a second act that might enrich the lives of others, because dwelling on his past won't bring people back.
Tadman

Postby STrRedWolf » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:55 pm

It's a reasonable assumption that he will not be an engineer. But will he be in a position that is "safety sensitive" in Amtrak? Well... depends on what is classified as safety sensitive. If I go by MTA Maryland's definition, that's any mechanic or operator/engineer.

Station staff is probably the best so far, and conductor is a biiiig stretch.
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Postby justalurker66 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:01 pm

He would need to be obsessed with trains in order to remain in the industry. Some times it is better to move on when a job leaves you. His second act does not need to be on the same stage.
justalurker66

Postby mtuandrew » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:09 am

justalurker66 wrote:His second act does not need to be on the same stage.

Well put. I hope Mr. Bostian lands on his feet, but also that he remains a quiet advocate for efficient and safe rail passenger travel. He most likely won't be with Amtrak or a railroad after this, but ought to have some training that could set him up in heavy industry if he chooses.
mtuandrew

Postby Backshophoss » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:24 am

"Safety Sensitive" would include AC and Conductor positions along with engine service.
That would include any kind of "Block operator",lever man(tower operator),and Dispatching position.
If he has a medical problem,that would also DSQ him from any kind of CDL license position,in Trucking or Bus driving (down to school buses).
Backshophoss

Previous

Return to Amtrak