Worcester Union Station

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Worcester Union Station

Postby Backshophoss » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:41 pm

The signal upgrade will be forced by the need to get ACSES(aka PTC) up and running real soon,appx 2 years after the mandated date
by congress for PTC systems to be in service.
Backshophoss

Postby dbperry » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:39 am

east point wrote:So are any plans either proposed or shovel ready or Under construction for another platform at Worcester ?

See item #10 (especially the last paragraph of that item and especially the last sentence of that paragraph). Also see item #12.

http://framwormbta.weebly.com/blog/comp ... -available

Unfortunately now that I'm on the inside I can't talk about everything I know (hint, hint). Once I do have permission to write about upcoming projects, I'll blog about them and try and remember to post a link here. But easier for you to sign up to get notifications whenever I post a blog update!
http://framwormbta.weebly.com/newsletter.html

Dave
Known to Keolis and the MBTA as "Twitter Dave"
Frequently posting about the MBTA Framingham-Worcester line on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FramWorMBTA
Owner of Framingham-Worcester Blog: http://FramWorMBTA.weebly.com/
Maintainer of MBTA schedule archive: http://www.dbperry.net/MBTA/
dbperry

Postby dbperry » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:45 am

BandA wrote:There is also some kind of water leak in the platform area? Supposed to cost millions to fix, which I don't understand. Fix the leak and add new platform at the same time would make sense.

Good recent article about the complicated arrangement of ownership and operation of the station here:
http://www.telegram.com/news/20170116/f ... er-at-loss

When Union Station reopened, city officials fully understood it was not going to make money, and would require an annual subsidy from the city.

For this fiscal year, the budgeted subsidy is $649,702. While the station's costs are expected to run at about $1.16 million this year, it is only expected to generate about $508,212 in revenues from tenants, thus forcing the city to make up the difference.

But the twist to all of this is that the city does not own Union Station. It is owned and operated by the Worcester Redevelopment Authority, which is technically a separate legal entity.

Follow-up here:
http://www.telegram.com/news/20170210/c ... on-station

City Manager Edward M. Augustus Jr. says he is not in favor selling Union Station to a private entity, but is open to exploring the possibility of transferring ownership of the historic train station to the city.

Details on leak repairs here:
http://www.telegram.com/news/20161211/w ... tion-leaks

Water has been getting in to Union Station from the back side of the building, where the train tracks and passenger platform are located. Those leaks have caused damage to ceilings and walls inside the historic transportation center over the years, and has led to a deterioration of the concrete outside.

The root of the problem appears to be behind Union Station and to the west side of the building, where there is a concrete plaza and passenger platform next to the railroad tracks.

The WRA board has been told that the drains that were installed to collect the water from that area have failed, causing a buildup of water there. The water is seeping into the ground and then through the walls of the building that are below grade.
Known to Keolis and the MBTA as "Twitter Dave"
Frequently posting about the MBTA Framingham-Worcester line on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FramWorMBTA
Owner of Framingham-Worcester Blog: http://FramWorMBTA.weebly.com/
Maintainer of MBTA schedule archive: http://www.dbperry.net/MBTA/
dbperry

Postby bmvguye39 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:40 am

201003302112332174.jpg
The original 2nd platform appears to have been between tracks 2 and 3 with tunnel underneath. Restoring in this config would give the added flexibility of 3 platform access points instead of just 2 should the 2nd only be built between tracks 1 and 2.
bmvguye39

Postby The EGE » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:42 am

I believe that the current high-level platform occupies the leftmost track slot in that old photo.
The EGE

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:29 pm

bmvguye39 wrote:
201003302112332174.jpg
The original 2nd platform appears to have been between tracks 2 and 3 with tunnel underneath. Restoring in this config would give the added flexibility of 3 platform access points instead of just 2 should the 2nd only be built between tracks 1 and 2.

Yep. That's exactly why Tks. 1 & 2 have the curious gap between them to this day. As long as the would-be new island conforms to Mass Architectural Board ADA width specs (12 ft. min. width, preferably wider) it's pretty much a drop-in re-creation of the historic setup. Probably with stairs redone at similar location, then obligatory shafting of a new elevator to the same down-and-under access point.

As EGE notes, one track disappeared after the historic station first went disused and is now eaten by the current platform for sake of ADA width, so both the side platform and the revived island would both face current Tk. 1. Old setup was very narrow on the side platform, as the pic indicates.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby gokeefe » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:30 pm

dbperry wrote:See item #10 (especially the last paragraph of that item and especially the last sentence of that paragraph). Also see item #12.

That is very good to see. Please share more (including any announcements) as things come along. I (and many others) use this thread to track what's going on down there ...
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby gokeefe » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:19 am

Worcester Union Station turning over some of it's primary rental and retail spaces.

WORCESTER - With the recent eviction of one of the tenants at Union Station, the Worcester Redevelopment Authority wants to look into what uses might be best for the historic train station moving forward.

WRA Chairman Vincent A. Pedone said it makes sense to initiate such a discussion now, in the wake of the eviction of Lava Lounge and Nightclub, and with the potential that more space in the station may open up by year’s end.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Komarovsky » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:46 am

gokeefe wrote:Worcester Union Station turning over some of it's primary rental and retail spaces.

WORCESTER - With the recent eviction of one of the tenants at Union Station, the Worcester Redevelopment Authority wants to look into what uses might be best for the historic train station moving forward.

WRA Chairman Vincent A. Pedone said it makes sense to initiate such a discussion now, in the wake of the eviction of Lava Lounge and Nightclub, and with the potential that more space in the station may open up by year’s end.

Not included in the discussion is the empty(and totally unfinished) commercial space on the ground floor of the station garage. Hopefully the redevelopment of the neighborhood adjacent to the station will give a nice boost to the demand for commercial space in the station.
Komarovsky

Postby BandA » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:25 pm

Further information from the Telegram article Union Station in Worcester eyes best use for space.

Total annual operating expenses: $1,300,000
Tenant income: $515,668 includes Lava Lounge rent of $55,720 (in arrears $18,000 which is about 3 months)
FTA station repair funds: $378,536
deficit $444,276 <<<=== from City of Worcester property tax revenue since the redevelopment
authority doesn't have the "financial wherewithal to finance its operation"
That is a decrease of more than $205,000 from the previous fiscal year, when the city had to provide a $649,702 tax-levy subsidy.
The Lava Lounge is their oldest tenant!! And another tenant isn't going to renew their lease!
BandA

Postby gokeefe » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:03 pm

I think they actually felt it was good that they would be able to turnover some occupancy. They didnt seem to be at all worried about finding new tenants. I'm pretty impressed they have as much revenue as they do. Just imagine where we might be today if the big terminals elsewhere in the country had been so productive.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Komarovsky » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:00 pm

gokeefe wrote:I think they actually felt it was good that they would be able to turnover some occupancy. They didnt seem to be at all worried about finding new tenants. I'm pretty impressed they have as much revenue as they do. Just imagine where we might be today if the big terminals elsewhere in the country had been so productive.

Unfortunately those numbers are never enough for some people in Worcester government and their supporters. I can't tell you how many times I went to meetings about T service or the station and heard from other people "We shouldn't subsidize the station operations" and "transit should pay for itself" etc etc. I also think that there is a great chance for the WRA to break even on their investment given the level of investment in the area around the station at the moment, if they can parlay that into development of the garage commercial space and get good tenants for the existing space in Union Station.

One of the more disturbing ideas that I've heard at the meetings and from folks involved, is to subdivide the main hall(former waiting room) into smaller, more leasable space. Hopefully that won't come to pass, it would ruin a great deal of the aesthetic appeal of the space that makes the station unique.
Komarovsky

Postby gokeefe » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:34 pm

I wouldn't be concerned about that at all. It's a historic structure with the interior being a major contributing factor. I haven't looked at the full historic designations but I think its safe to say that subdividing the main hall could require a legislative act by the Commonwealth. I also agree that recent development bodes well for the station.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Previous

Return to Amtrak