Amtrak Springfield Line Shuttle/Regional/Greenfield/Inland

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Amtrak Springfield Line: Greenfield/Boston B&A Shuttle S

Postby Traingeek3629 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:21 am

Currently, at the Northampton stop, there are 53 daily riders on average, or 26.5 per train. Once the additional trains are added, I'd expect the daily ridership to go up to somewhere between 65 and 70, with each southbound Vermonter getting 20 or so passengers rather than 30.This opens up seats for riders traveling to/from high-ridership stops in Vermont such as Brattleboro, Essex Jct, and White River Junction.

Overall, this is a good addition to the NHHS corridor, and I will probably use the service every 2 months or so to visit family in Northampton.
TRAIN APPROACHING, PLEASE REMAIN BEHIND THE YELLOW LINE
Traingeek3629

Postby lordsigma12345 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:33 pm

In addition to the shift from the Vermonter, will probably also see a decrease at Springfield as you will have less riders from the north driving there to catch a train, however that may be a wash as Springfield stands to gain some ridership as a destination with MGM coming to town.

Speaking of Springfield - they have begun construction on the new platform C at long last. In concert with platform enhancements at Greenfield and Northampton these will be good additions to the corridor. Work at Springfield began this month.
lordsigma12345

Postby Arlington » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:57 pm

Has Vermont expressed any desire to extend the Mass trains farther north?
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby gprimr1 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:13 pm

Brattleboro VT has a passing siding that if rebuilt could allow the shuttles to lay over.

Bellows Falls VT MIGHT be able to accommodate a passing track between Depot St and the River.

I can't imagine them going much further north than that.
-Greg Primrose
Moderator: General Discussion: High Speed Rail Amtrak
"I'm leaving on a jet train, don't know when I'll be back again. Bags are packed and there ready to go."
Ave Atque Vale
gprimr1

Postby Arlington » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Was Greenfield already built with turns in mind?
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:45 pm

Rockingham Racer wrote:Is the PAR D3 dispatcher that busy that s/he can't handle more trains throughout the day.

LOL.

All I'll say is that unless there was some very specific, careful wording preventing it in the sale of the Conn River Main to MassDOT, then MassDOT should immediately hand over dispatching to Keolis/Amtrak/whatever 3rd party runs Knowledge Corridor service as soon as service starts, if not sooner.
BostonUrbEx

Postby lordsigma12345 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:50 am

Arlington wrote:Was Greenfield already built with turns in mind?

I could be wrong but I doubt there are going to be any layovers of equipment in Greenfield at least for the pilot - they are trying to do this pilot as simple and with the least investment possible so I would imagine equipment layovers and crew basing would all be done at Springfield. They are going to use the Shuttle push-pull trainsets and I'm guessing the way they are going to do it knowing the current NHV-SPG schedule is in the early morning one of the current Shuttle trainsets that lay over in Springfield will make a roundtrip up to Greenfield (with the northern trip being a new train number) and the southbound leg of the round trip would run as present train 495 all the way to New Haven. They'll probably use the pool of Vermonter Springfield to St. Albans crew to run the Springfield to Greenfield round trips and then the New Haven - Springfield crew would take over when the train returns to Springfield. In the evening they'll probably do the opposite - one of the current northbound Shuttles will continue up to Greenfield and then return down to Springfield.
lordsigma12345

Postby gokeefe » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:50 am

Nice to consider that trains will be running to more places instead of just sitting idle.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby lordsigma12345 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:27 pm

If my assumptions are correct on that it would be similar to how CTrail is currently handling Springfield. Presently all CTrail trains are stored in New Haven except for one I believe which is stored in Hartford. For Springfield a northbound trip always precedes a southbound trip because no equipment lays over in Springfield.

I suppose its possible these could be full Greenfield- New Haven round trips both ways but I don't see how the present schedule could accommodate that - they'd have to add a new full Shuttle leg in the morning and southbound leg late at night. Which is why I think it will be two round trips Springfield to Greenfield daily and one round trip Greenfield to New Haven daily.
lordsigma12345

Postby Palmer5RR » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:20 pm

Is there any chance that the extra trains to Northampton will start before UMass Amherst first day of classes Tuesday September 4th and Smith College Northampton start date, Thursday, September 6? It's a shame that big travel days at Northampton leave so few seats available for people going through to Vermont. Especially when the State of Vermont pays for the train.
Palmer5RR

Postby Train60 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:41 pm

Palmer5RR wrote:Is there any chance that the extra trains to Northampton will start before UMass Amherst first day of classes Tuesday September 4th and Smith College Northampton start date, Thursday, September 6? It's a shame that big travel days at Northampton leave so few seats available for people going through to Vermont. Especially when the State of Vermont pays for the train.

Assume you're talking about 2019. Also keep in mind that the Vermonter is financed by CT, MA and VT.
Train60

Postby Palmer5RR » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:53 am

Assume you're talking about 2019. Also keep in mind that the Vermonter is financed by CT, MA and VT.

I wasn't aware MA & CT paid for Springfield line trains. Do they pay for all of them?
You are correct, I went back and read the news announcements about the 2 trains extended to Greenfield, I guess I missed the 2019 part of the start date. When Gov Baker made the announcement back in January I didn't realize it would take a year and a half to simply extend two existing Springfield line trains to Greenfield. I suppose they need to budget the money first.
Palmer5RR

Postby lordsigma12345 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:30 am

Yes all service north of New Haven on the Springfield line and beyond is state supported. There are two programs - New Haven - Springfield which is paid for by CT and MA and covers the Shuttles and the regionals that run through to Springfield - this program also serves as part of the Hartford Line commuter rail. The Vermonter is a separate program in the state budgets as Vermont is also a party to the agreements. CT, MA, and VT all fund the Vermonter.
lordsigma12345

Postby east point » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:46 pm

Funds are one problem for the extension. Was it posted previously that getting rolling stock for the extension is also a problem ?
east point

Postby lordsigma12345 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:17 pm

This extension is dead if what came out today about Amtrak’s board requiring PTC even when law exempts it and that it will discontinue routes. Also would be the end of the Vermonter and any hope of Montreal connection. I suppose in the event this happened MassDOT could approach CTDOT about having CTrail trains make the runs and replace the Vermonter service to Greenfield. But CTRAIL likely could not accommodate it until it gets more rolling stock and until MassDOT builds the required CTRail layover yard in Springfield that they need to expand service.

Massachusetts and Vermont folks should be hammering Amtrak about this especially with Mass about to begin a project to upgrade the Northampton platform that could become worthless if this came to fruition.
lordsigma12345

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak