Amtrak Springfield Line in CT incl. poss. Greenfield ext.

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Springfield Line Upgrade in CT

Postby Larry » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:33 pm

I was correct, they have the TLM working North towards Windsor from North end of Hartford Ct yard. They are almost at Meadow Rd crossing and hope to make it to East Barber by tonight but I don't think they will make it that far today.
Larry

Postby Arlington » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:26 pm

gokeefe wrote:There are indications that the funding issue has been resolved.

Presumably that's Amtrak crews and MassDOT operating funding that would be required (under PRIIA) to extend Amtrak ops from Springfield to Greenfield (just short of NH line). Do I get that right?
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby Larry » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:53 pm

TLM has stopped for the night under Rte 291 in Windsor. The crossing at East Barber is now connected. They will continue North to Island road at Loomis Chaffee tomorrow.
Larry

Postby gokeefe » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:44 pm

Arlington wrote:Presumably that's Amtrak crews and MassDOT operating funding that would be required (under PRIIA) to extend Amtrak ops from Springfield to Greenfield (just short of NH line). Do I get that right?

Likely correct.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby BandA » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:51 pm

MassDOT owns the line Springfield to Greenfield to NH line? Did I read correktly that they are using Amtrak or Amtrak's contractor to upgrade the track? And MassDOT is going to pay Amtrak to extend the shuttles north to Greenfield, rather than paying CT to extend NHHS CR
BandA

Postby whatelyrailfan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:39 pm

The State of Massachusetts bought the Connecticut River Line from Springfield to the East Northfield Switch, where the track connects with NECR a few years back, and they WILL be running commuter service north from Springfield probably within the next 5-10 years. Norfolk Southern track crews replaced the rail, and lots of ties in 2013-2014, but a major tie replacement job is scheduled and as far as I know it'll be Pan Am crews which is why it keeps getting postponed.
whatelyrailfan

Postby DutchRailnut » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:29 pm

it will also need signal upgrade to PTC.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:30 pm

They wouldn't need to install PTC to extend the Shuttles. The Conn River would qualify under this exemption in the PTC rules:

(2) Passenger service is operated on a segment of track of a freight railroad that is not a Class I railroad on which less than 15 million gross tons of freight traffic is transported annually and on which one of the following conditions applies:

(ii) If the segment is signaled (e.g., equipped with a traffic control system, automatic block signal system, or cab signal system) and no more than 12 regularly scheduled passenger trains are operated during a calendar day.

Pan Am Southern (despite the backing presence of NS) is a Class II, the Conn River handles less than 15 million tons annually, and it has a CTC (wayside-only) signal system.

The Shuttles currently run 4 round-trips on weekdays, 5 round-trips on weekends...and then there's the one Vermonter round-trip. That's 10 passenger trains on weekdays, 12 on weekends. You could extend all Shuttles and add one to the weekday schedule without triggering a PTC install.

...for now, at least. Should NS buy out Pan Am's half of PAS in the next few years as widely anticipated then the Conn River becomes part of a Class I and the exemption drops from 12 to 4 trains per day. So there is some outside risk involved in holding onto that exemption, though there'd probably be a new deadline drafted for that individual installation of X years forward from the date the line becomes part of a Class I.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:07 pm

Gentlemen, keep it civil like adults please.
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby Larry » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:08 pm

TLM is all done in Windsor CT. Completed double track up to Island Road today. The remaining track to north will be done the old fashion way. I believe I heard someone say the TLM will be heading to Rhode Island right after this but not sure.
Larry

Postby BandA » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Why are they using a TLM south of Windsor, CT, but using less efficient methods north of there?
BandA

Postby Larry » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:58 pm

They used the TLM for about 40 or 45 or so miles from New Haven up to Windsor. The portion North of Windsor is only about 1/2 mile left to connect Island Road to Central Street and just beyond where double track begins again and goes to almost Windsor Locks. From that point in Windsor Locks to Springfield will be in phase two I believe and not sure when that will kick off. For most part, dbl track from New Haven to Hartford Union Station where it goes to single track and then North of the station it will be dbl track to Windsor/ Windsor Locks.
Larry

Postby slc1234 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:42 pm

i am currently working on the Batchelder Street bridge for the contractor that is doing all the site work, right now we are looking at a completion date in two weeks and then the Amtrak crews will follow up behind us to lay the rail. Last we heard they were having some design issues with the next phase and it was going to be a year before any work will start, everyone was really hoping we would just continue northward but it doesn't look like that will be happening.
slc1234

Postby asull85 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:27 pm

As of 10/15...

Track 2 is in service in its entirety from Mill River to Willow

Quarry Interlocking has been removed

562 territory has been extended upto Willow on Track 2

Track 1 is out of service between Holt and Willow for 562 cut in
asull85

Postby shadyjay » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:49 pm

I rode 54 yesterday from NYP to WAB and yes, we were on Track 2 up to Willow, north of Berlin. What a smooth ride on that new track! Stations are looking pretty good, too, complete with CTRail AND Amtrak messaging boards.

For some unknown reason, we were delayed right around the state line. What makes no sense is that the delay was after Field and we were right on the beginning of Track 2. 57 passed us and we were still delayed for several minutes. Unless there was some MOW activity going on but I didn't observe any crews. And this was still several miles shy of the Spring interlocking, so not sure what the delay was. This was our second delay of the trip, as we were delayed in BPT for a while due to a brake issue.

Second track mostly laid from Hartford yard up to Windsor, though not quite to the station itself to tie into Windsor interlocking. There's a bridge just south of the station and we veered into the Track 2 ROW for it, still being worked on. South of there, the 2nd track is in place.

Nice to see good progress of the Springfield Line!
shadyjay

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak