Amtrak Springfield Line in CT incl. poss. Greenfield ext.

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Springfield Line Upgrade in CT

Postby dowlingm » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:11 am

What is the funding model for Springfield shuttles? At what point does extending them north trigger PRIIA obligations?
dowlingm

Postby Woody » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:50 pm

Jeff Smith wrote:From the Hartford line thread in MNRR :

http://nhhsrail.com/pdfs/nhhs%20rail%20 ... 0final.pdf

... the final stages of Hartford Line station construction. Wallingford and Meriden will be completed this fall with State Street following by years end and Berlin in early 2018.

A new date ... the CTrail Hartford Line service ... will now launch in May 2018. ... a result of the recent allocation of $50 million in state funding to install four additional miles of track between Hartford and Windsor.

Nice link filled with info, a map and everything. (I love maps. LOL. Rich info that I can understand and remember.)

Sorry to see that all the commotion will only save 8 minutes on the run time of the commuter trains on the segment, from 89 to 81 minutes New Haven to Springfield, end to end. I'd been hoping for a little more speed for the Vermonter, the Regionals, and the Shuttles. Of course, Amtrak's trains will make fewer stops and could go a little faster. Then more big bucks to make further upgrades in the future, thru Hartford and then more north into Springfield, etc.

But every bit helps, even 8 or 10 minutes. And the increased frequencies, counting the commuter trains, could make this sleepy little corridor move into the big time like the Albany Empire and Keystone corridors.
Woody

Postby Jeff Smith » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:02 pm

Hartford is still going to be a single-track bottleneck, unfortunately, but the extra 4 miles of double track ahead of "Phase II" will be nice.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby Greg Moore » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:08 pm

Woody wrote:
But every bit helps, even 8 or 10 minutes. And the increased frequencies, counting the commuter trains, could make this sleepy little corridor move into the big time like the Albany Empire and Keystone corridors.

I've always been a bit surprised this corridor hasn't been as big as the Empire Service. Definitely steps in the right direction.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby east point » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:02 pm

Does anyone know if Amtrak re assigned some track personnel to the NYPS repairs there by delaying this work ?
east point

Postby CVRA7 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:53 pm

Take a look at some old Amtrak timetables for the Springfield Line and you will see that it once was a much more important line. Current service is at an all time low, partially due to the line's reconstruction and partially due to Amtrak lack of interest in the line - from what I can see.
CVRA7

Postby Greg Moore » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:00 pm

I haven't looked all the way back, but I don't recall more than perhaps 8-12 Amtrak trains daily on this route during its peak. What was the peak number?
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby NH2060 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:28 am

According to this archived brochure from October 1980 there were 14 trains in each direction between New Haven and Springfield Monday through Friday (until at least sometime in 1981). This included the thru trains to New York and Washington as well as the Connecticut Valley Service "shuttle" trains of which there were 12 weekday round trips. (Document is available for download)

https://history.amtrak.com/archives/con ... table-1980

Given that the 12 SPV-2000s (1 other was used on the Danbury and Waterbury branches) were to make up a good chunk of the equipment pool to provide these RTs it's no wonder service got reduced when the cars were taken out of service altogether if there weren't enough extra Amfleets and Heritage coaches to go around. A lot of ommuters probably gave up on the line anyway with the SPVs going kaput all too often.
NH2060

Postby asull85 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:26 am

east point wrote:Does anyone know if Amtrak re assigned some track personnel to the NYPS repairs there by delaying this work ?

It us my understanding that the Springfield Line is ahead of schedule.
asull85

Postby Kilo Echo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:19 pm

Mind the gap
Kilo Echo

Postby Larry » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:22 am

They are not really on schedule as it now is extended to May of 2018. Original date was back in 2016, then it was January of 2018 and now it is May 2018. Line is turning into a Bus route from now till Dec 29 2017 on the weekends so they can get caught up.
Larry

Postby bwparker1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:23 am

FYI, there are sections of track stacked along the ROW just north of the Hartford yard, where they will be installing the second track north to Windsor. Also, they have recently installed the second track south of Hartford, I often drive over the overpass on SR 176 in Newington, CT and noted the second track in place this weekend.
bwparker1

Postby shadyjay » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Supposedly, the Amtrak TLM will be back this fall to install the second track from Hartford to Windsor. Then all the new second track as part of this phase of the project should be installed, I believe. Future phases of the project will extend the double track up from Windsor Locks to Enfield (minus the Conn River Bridge)(Windsor to just south of the Windsor Locks platform is already double-tracked), which isn't TOO far, and may or may not be coupled with station improvements to Windsor, Windsor Locks, and a new Thompsonville (Enfield) stop, plus North Haven and Newington Jct to the south.
shadyjay

Postby gokeefe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:57 pm

Jeff Smith wrote:
asull85 wrote:I've been hearing some mumbling that the bustituted shuttles will be returning soon and crews may start qualifying to Greenfield.

Greenfield. Interesting. MA find some money?

There are indications that the funding issue has been resolved.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Larry » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:55 am

Third set of flat cars delivered to Hartford Ct yard with stone ties aboard. This is the staging area it seems for the TLM to start as the last set of cars was parked on the new 2nd main which when things get tight, they use it for a passing siding for CSO-1. With the cars perked on this line now, seems to me they are getting ready to go North from here with laying the second track down finally.
Larry

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak