Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Postby Greg Moore » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:57 am

Yeah, the LSL ain't getting any for quite awhile unfortunately.

Which is ironic because after nearly a decade of NOT riding it, I rode it 3 times in the last 6 months (2 EB, 1 WB).

On the round trip, the cafe/diner SUCKED. On the one trip with my family, it was actually not to bad.

But I can't wait until we get the real diners!
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby jmlaboda » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:46 pm

Been on a number of trains over the years between South Carolina and Boston and North Carolina to Los Angeles but it has been many decades since I last ate a meal in an actual dining car... likely the last trip was when I headed to Boston in the Army back in '74. In general I stuck to the lounge car for my meals (the Canadian Bacon sandwiches were great back then) as well as simply for riding (even road the lounge car when it wasn't open simply because I was more comfortable than my coach seat usually was).

Don't foresee any dining car opportunities in my future (there's no where for me to go) but am glad that "slowly" dining cars are being delivered with the hope that many more will yet be able to share the experience of riding in the new cars, hopefully with it leading to more rides for folks than just the first.
jerry

PROUD FATHER OF A WINNING COSPLAY DAUGHTER!!!

Passenger Car Photo Index - Updated 9Aug2016 with 10,537 new links added!!!
N-scale Varnish Passenger Car User's Guide
jmlaboda

Postby Woody » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:11 pm

From article in the Railway Gazette:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/trac ... sting.html

CAF coaches for Caledonian Sleeper services.

UK: The first five of the 75 coaches that CAF is building for Caledonian Sleeper services between Scotland and London ...

The two seating cars, two sleeping cars and a club car were sent from CAF’s factory at Beasain in Spain ... testing in the UK ... to get underway ...

The order for the new fleet was placed by Serco when it won the Caledonian Sleeper operating contract in 2014. Entry into service is planned for 2018.

... four types of accommodation, with reclining seats, berths, en suite berths and double rooms with toilets and showers. ... mobile device charging facilities and on-board wi-fi ... compartments will have key card entry. ... ‘brasserie style club car’.

Yeah, but the Viewliner IIs will be much better. Just you wait and see! Wait, I said. LOL.
Woody

Postby ApproachMedium » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:11 pm

If they gave any care about the american market they would be putting this kind of effort in to it. I have such little faith in these new cars anymore. Who knows if we will ever even see the new sleepers seeing as how the diners are taking longer and longer, which costs more and more money from the already expanded budget.
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Postby dowlingm » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:20 am

ApproachMedium wrote:If they gave any care about the american market they would be putting this kind of effort in to it. I have such little faith in these new cars anymore. Who knows if we will ever even see the new sleepers seeing as how the diners are taking longer and longer, which costs more and more money from the already expanded budget.
It's a pretty different order to build cars to your design, where you want to build them.
dowlingm

Postby Tadman » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:00 am

Here's a fun question: how timely have CAF been on the Cal Sleeper order?
Tadman

Postby David Benton » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:24 pm

ApproachMedium wrote:If they gave any care about the american market they would be putting this kind of effort in to it. I have such little faith in these new cars anymore. Who knows if we will ever even see the new sleepers seeing as how the diners are taking longer and longer, which costs more and more money from the already expanded budget.

I suspect if they were allowed to build them in Spain , there would be a lot less problems . Building in a outreach location is always going to be more difficult than building in your main factory.
CAF's New Zealand order were a totally new design and delivered on schedule.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby USRailFan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:12 am

David Benton wrote:

I suspect if they were allowed to build them in Spain , there would be a lot less problems . Building in a outreach location is always going to be more difficult than building in your main factory.
CAF's New Zealand order were a totally new design and delivered on schedule.

EU railway cars also don't have anything near the same crashworthiness as US ones...
USRailFan

Postby David Benton » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:25 pm

I'm not sure about that , or what it has to do on where they are manufactured, they could have been built in Spain to the same heavy standard.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby ngotwalt » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:26 am

Per another forum, Dining car Columbus should leave the factory, day after tomorrow.
Nick
ngotwalt

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:22 am

Aside from that two cars every thirty days has now become one every forty five, there should be nine cars on the property (including 8400) - enough for both the Meteor and The Crescent plus a spare.

Four more and Mr. Moore could see 'em again on the Lake Shore.

In time for a Christmas present from Amtrak?
Gilbert B Norman

Postby chuchubob » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:48 pm

Silver Meteor train sets are stored at Penn Coach Yard, Philadelphia, pending return to Florida service. Diners Augusta and Boston are present, photographed Sunday morning.
chuchubob

Postby ApproachMedium » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:28 pm

One of the 91/92 sets was parked at the sanford auto train stop. when i arrived there Tuesday am they were putting engines on. Did they store it there for the whole storm or just terminate there after the storm was over?
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Postby jstolberg » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:20 am

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Aside from that two cars every thirty days has now become one every forty five, there should be nine cars on the property (including 8400) - enough for both the Meteor and The Crescent plus a spare.

Four more and Mr. Moore could see 'em again on the Lake Shore.

In time for a Christmas present from Amtrak?

I do remember reading
Over the next several years, CAF USA's welders, electricians and assemblers will crank out about seven rail cars for Amtrak each month, as the company works to complete a five-year $298 million contact signed in June 2011. The deal calls for CAF USA to provide Amtrak with 130 train cars — 25 sleepers, 25 diners, 55 baggage cars and 25 baggage/dormitory cars.

So it's just a couple of months until we have them on the Late For Sure once they get the bugs worked out and the assembly line up to speed.
jstolberg

Postby electricron » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:36 pm

Just a little history from two different railroads from different countries worthy of some discussion.
Amtrak Viewliner 2 ordered 130 cars on July 23, 2010.
Over 7 years have passed and less than 85 of the 130 have been delivered.
ScotRail orders 75 Mark 5 cars in February 2015 for the Caledonian Sleeper service. The first 5 cars are already being tested, and service is set to begin next year, in less than 4 years.
Both rail car orders are being built by CAF, one assembly plant in the USA and the other in Spain.
electricron

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak