JJC Associates Degree For BNSF Conductor Position?

General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

JJC Associates Degree For BNSF Conductor Position?

Postby Great Northern » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:23 pm

I am currently attending high school as a junior, and plan on attending NARS in late 2011 or early 2012, and once I graduate from the NARS conductor training program, my parents are urging me to go to the joliet junior college to at least obtain an associates degree for better education, since alot of there parents want that for their children, and was wondering since I probably am going to go there can you please look at this link, and once you look at the link can you pick the best degree from that list that will relates the most to the railroad industry or at least transportation, and which one you would do?
Great Northern

Re: JJC Associates Degree For BNSF Conductor Position?

Postby qboy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:01 pm

What Link? Have you tried reading through all the post that talk about the info you seek?
qboy

Re: JJC Associates Degree For BNSF Conductor Position?

Postby gp80mac » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:25 am

Here's my honest answer (worth the paper it isn't written on):

Forget NARS. It is a joke and a scam. Just about all the major railroads will provide you with training, and will even pay you to train. Having a "certificate" from NARS is not going to be your ticket to the railroad industry. And by the time you finish the course (and paid the thousands in tuition) who knows whether the railroads will even be hiring? That is an expensive gamble.

As far as college: don't tailor your course selection to being a conductor. You don't need a college degree to be a conductor. And no program offered will really help you that much. So what should you study? Simple. Complete this sentence: if I can't get a job on the railroad, then I'd like to be a _________. Then tailor your college choices towards that. And if you are going to start a college program, then you better FINISH it. It won't look good to the HR people (esp. in this economic climate) if you dropped out of school for whatever reason.

And when you are on summer break, find a job that entails labor and adverse working conditions. Find a job in a refrigerated warehouse, or work somewhere that involves a lot of outdoor activity. That will probably benefit you more than flushing your money down the NARS toilet.
Yep.....
gp80mac

Return to Employment